U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 04:52 PM

5,549 posts, read 8,895,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
To all those people saying "learn a skill"..

It's not what you can do, it's what you can negotiate.

I had an underwater welder coworker that worked in the Middle East on oil rigs. He certainly had a skill, I mean isn't underwater welding something not everyone is able or wants to do?

He was only making a thousand bucks a month risking his life. Meanwhile there are office drones in western countries making that in a week without any discernible skills.
I find it hard to believe an underwater welder would take a job paying 1000 dollars per month (250 per week).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 05:00 PM

724 posts, read 617,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I find it hard to believe an underwater welder would take a job paying 1000 dollars per month (250 per week).
He wasn't American, he was from the Philippines. That's how they do it. If he was American they probably would've offered him 15 or 20 grand a month for the same job.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:50 PM

5,549 posts, read 8,895,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
He wasn't American, he was from the Philippines. That's how they do it. If he was American they probably would've offered him 15 or 20 grand a month for the same job.
Why did you mention this without explaining where this guy was working? The median salary in that country is 7660 per year or 638 bucks per month. The guy was making just under twice the median. Pretty good wages for that country.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:18 PM

3,557 posts, read 1,368,509 times
"But WHY are so many jobs crappy?"
if they were fun, you would pay to do them.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:35 PM

700 posts, read 540,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
I don't think it's so much the jobs that suck. It's the employers. They want to get the most out of people while expecting them to accept substandard wages. Then there are the other out of touch employers who are looking for a go-getter candidate who is in their early 20's, has 15+ years of experience, a PhD, and can juggle 6 different things at one time.

Organized crime seems like a much better trade-off.
Bingo. It's the employers. I agree. Plus, as an earlier poster suggested, the less desirable jobs are the ones posted. If you are already working in a large organization, networking is about the only way to rise in the org to a position that isn't filled with crappy stuff. I'm retired, but in my past work experience, the people who are promoted to the higher level (good) jobs leave behind a bunch of crappy jobs that the newbies fill and quickly learn how crappy those jobs are. They stick around for a while, and either move up or move on, once again leaving those crappy jobs behind and unfilled. Lots of churn at the bottom, whether it's in the service or retail industries or in some huge corporation or in gov't. All the same. No one wants to do the low level work for very long.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:02 PM

27,317 posts, read 15,780,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I have the answer. Create your own experience using lateral moves. It will take time but it's possible.
Not really. If the internal candidates are taken seriously. It can work don't get me wrong but there ain't no such thing as a sure thing especially today and more importantly going forward into the future.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:15 PM

2,420 posts, read 691,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I think it is obvious that everyone who has had to search for a job has noticed the McJob recovery. But WHY are so many jobs crappy? As the united states of America is this the best we can do? Do we need to hand our economy to the govt because we just can't pull it together and create an abundance of GOOD jobs where McJobs are held EXCLUSIVELY by high school students during the time they have?

I can't imagine people are happy in all these McJobs so I would imagine there will eventually be consequences?
We have tons of people who graduate with garbage degrees. They get stuck in Mcjobs.
We have tons of people who graduate with good degrees but no experience. They get stuck in Mcjobs.
We have tons of older workers laid off from their high paying jobs and their unemployment is running out, so they get stuck in Mcjobs.

You see a pattern?

Old 06-04-2019, 08:35 PM

852 posts, read 1,818,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
We have tons of people who graduate with garbage degrees. They get stuck in Mcjobs.
We have tons of people who graduate with good degrees but no experience. They get stuck in Mcjobs.
We have tons of older workers laid off from their high paying jobs and their unemployment is running out, so they get stuck in Mcjobs.

You see a pattern?
Absolutely, get a good degree, have some experience and donít get old. Perfect!

Old 06-04-2019, 09:34 PM

10,058 posts, read 4,660,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post

You see a pattern?
only pattern i see is they choose not to move out of the mcjobs job

no one is really "stuck" for any other reason than they choose not to move beyond it

maybe they keep chasing their former "good" job? and they get stuck chasing a dream. If their old job is gone, its gone for a reason

same with all the other excuses, bad degree/no experience, they keep trying to reach for something that they "thought" was there

that doesn't mean there aren't good jobs, but they are stuck at the mcjobs because they aren't seeing whats in front of them and then moving on from there

it's pretty much they are stuck in a PTSD loop and choose not to acknowledge it, so shell shocked that their "good" grades/ "former" job/ "degree" can't sell themselves

even when a mcjobs manager/owner try to train/promote them, i see people turning it down because they think they are better than working there. What makes them "better" anyways? Oh well, take their "better" ego and wait in the unemployment line

Old 06-04-2019, 09:57 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,470,590 times
The OP's post is very vague and without any objective measurement. Are things worse than they were during most times in the past 100 years? I don't think so. Haven't there always been "Mcjobs"? The OP just stated an opinion without anything measurable to back up their opinion. I don't really see jobs as worse than say 20 years ago, when I first started working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment