U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 03:36 AM

6,942 posts, read 3,060,208 times

Advertisements

I think it is obvious that everyone who has had to search for a job has noticed the McJob recovery. But WHY are so many jobs crappy? As the united states of America is this the best we can do? Do we need to hand our economy to the govt because we just can't pull it together and create an abundance of GOOD jobs where McJobs are held EXCLUSIVELY by high school students during the time they have?

I can't imagine people are happy in all these McJobs so I would imagine there will eventually be consequences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 05:15 AM
bUU

11,881 posts, read 8,657,053 times
I think there's really no way to discuss "consequences" without getting political, since those who support the structural changes in our labor economy will vehemently disagree with those who oppose those changes. So putting that aside, the reality is that jobs are "crappy" because having a labor economy with more "crappier" jobs is more profitable. It keeps labor resources from being more costly than would be the case in a labor economy with a greater percentage of more vital and more highly skilled jobs would.

It isn't the "best" that can be done - there has been some restraint and constraint imposed. In other words, jobs could be "crappier" resulting in even greater profits. However, that's probably not the answer you were looking for to the question you asked. It is important to be specific when using words like "best". You probably meant to ask whether this is the labor economy that offers employees the most rewarding employment. I think with the covers taken off of the question, like that, though, the answer is self-evident: That's not the intent of those who have the power to craft the labor economy.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:09 AM

1,678 posts, read 550,083 times
It depends where you're looking. Most decent jobs are filled via networking. If someone is only looking for work in online ads, they will tend to see lower end jobs that no one else wants, simply because of the medium in which they are job searching.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:29 AM

2,351 posts, read 1,075,900 times
It's impossible for "McJobs" to be held exclusively by HS students, I hate when people say that. Who are the managers? Who is working Mon-Fri 5am-1pm? Who is working overnights? Not students.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:38 AM

528 posts, read 618,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I think it is obvious that everyone who has had to search for a job has noticed the McJob recovery. But WHY are so many jobs crappy? As the united states of America is this the best we can do? Do we need to hand our economy to the govt because we just can't pull it together and create an abundance of GOOD jobs where McJobs are held EXCLUSIVELY by high school students during the time they have?

I can't imagine people are happy in all these McJobs so I would imagine there will eventually be consequences?
You are obviously just looking at job website ads. Most good jobs do not get posted. You have to talk with people to find them.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:54 AM

518 posts, read 624,678 times
Some reasons it is all McJobs...

The devaluation of technical people (not talking IT). Which is basically continual cut of people like in depth engineers and scientists, giving the money to executives, then putting the technical stuff overseas and pay low wages for it.

The shifting of manufacturing overseas.

What didn't exist in the past but does now: age discrimination

The overvaluation of paperwork. Often times huge money is spent on organization charts and re-organizations. They serve nobody well in what I have seen at companies, it is flushing money away.

The focus on short term numbers over long term. Long term means R&D and valuing people who do it. Companies have pushed this to the trash bin to make short term numbers look great.

The overvaluation on things like 6 sigma, Lean, Kaizen and other silliness instead of common sense. Companies spend fortunes on this stuff instead of developing a product to sell.

The overvaluation of certifications. Often times the best people I know were not ever, nor would they be interested in certifications. I have seen it over and over the certifications people just should not be in the positions.

The conversion of HR into a completely incapable office that does little and hires out what they used to do, or turns to mostly keyword or other algorithms that don't work.

The overvaluation of IT (engineering and science is not IT to me nor was it ever). I am sure many people will disagree so I put this late on the list, but seen it just about everywhere. IT is way way way over-valued.

Last edited by TestEngr; 06-03-2019 at 07:33 AM..

Old 06-03-2019, 07:04 AM

3,756 posts, read 2,121,985 times
I think most of the better jobs that provide good careers are just not being filled or posted by the employers. They are making due with what they have instead of being staffed properly to handle the workload. They go full lay-off mode (generally for both good reason) and the poor saps they are left behind at stuck doing that person responsibilities. All in seeing now is 1-2 people doing the responsibility of 3-5 people. Naturally, they can’t keep up and operations begin to suffer

Old 06-03-2019, 10:25 AM

6,942 posts, read 3,060,208 times
Is there an out for engineers scientists and mathematicians? I’m hearing norway is not actually all that now. Typically scientists and engineers would just flee the country when things became low brow and crappy.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:43 AM

10,058 posts, read 4,654,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Is there an out for engineers scientists and mathematicians? I’m hearing norway is not actually all that now. Typically scientists and engineers would just flee the country when things became low brow and crappy.
they flee to the US and become taxi drivers...
Licensing Barriers Leave Immigrant Doctors Driving Cabs Instead of Practicing Medicine : Immigration Impact

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/09/h...ing/index.html

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...rticle4106352/ <-- in Canada as well

well, if you are already here, you can drive for uber and skip the taxi part

really, do people think fleeing a country entitles them to a high paying job elsewhere?

Old 06-03-2019, 10:48 AM

2,597 posts, read 2,300,842 times
I don't think it's so much the jobs that suck. It's the employers. They want to get the most out of people while expecting them to accept substandard wages. Then there are the other out of touch employers who are looking for a go-getter candidate who is in their early 20's, has 15+ years of experience, a PhD, and can juggle 6 different things at one time.

Organized crime seems like a much better trade-off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment