Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather take a week vacation or have two extra long (4-5 day) weekends, assuming a 5 day wo
I'd rather take the week off. 14 35.90%
I'd rather have 2 shorter weeks (i.e. add two days to a weekend and three days to another weekend) 22 56.41%
Something else (please explain in comments). 3 7.69%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 11:21 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times

Advertisements

When I was working, our children were also growing up. The vacation $$ would be used to pay for 4 airplane tickets to fly to Grandma's home. Because it was a long distance and we had multiple people to see in our home area, a week vacation-long worked out best for our family.

When they reached an age when they were allowed to fly by themselves, we could send them on the airplane alone, if we were unable to take vacation time off. One time, my late MiL got the pick-up day mixed-up and was not there at the airport gate [pre-9/11] to meet them. I got a call at work from the "Unaccompanied Child Dept at O'Hare Airport" asking if it was okay to feed my children McDonald's hamburgers. They had already called my MiL because my daughter's had the number and she was on the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 12:04 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I'm just curious as to what people would find more enjoyable.

True, with a longer period of time, you do have more time for a longer trip, but sometimes having more short day trips can be more relaxing.

And also, for people who want to take a break from work, some people say that a week really allows them to decompress but the downside is having more pile up to come back to.

Also, hopefully, these aren't the only days during a year that can be taken off, but I'm just talking about in general. Which would you rather have, and why?

Please don't comment with statements like "I'm retired. Every day is a holiday" or "I'd rather be fishing everyday."

Thanks for any thoughts.
If this was the ONLY vacation I got, I'd want the two long weekends.

If this was a question of how should I use one of my 2-3 weeks of vacation each year... I'm sure I'd use one of those weeks (5 days) to get 9 days off. Seems like a good return to me.

Better yet, put it up against one weekend that's a 3-day weekend and you've got 10-for-5.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:13 PM

10,608 posts, read 12,115,646 times
I have this exact same question to ponder....

I have 4 days of use-or-lose comp time. I don't even know myself, whether I'd rather, put one vacation day next to the four and take a week off......OR.....
-- take one day off a week for four weeks, and have a four weeks of work four days, take three days off. IF SO, space it out for sporadic whenever-I-want four day work weeks......or have a month straight of four day work weeks? Wow! 3-day weekends for a month!

I haven't answered the poll, because I honestly don't know which I'd prefer.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:54 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
I prefer two week vacations honestly when I can. It takes me a solid 3 days to decompress and 3 days before coming home I start to think about work again. A former boss suggested trying a 2 week vacation and I am hooked. You actually get a solid week of relaxation in. If you haven’t tried it yet and can I would highly recommend it.

I will always take the week over the long weekends unless I’m using the long weekend to go to a family wedding or chaperone a field trip or something. Obligations versus by choice.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:28 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,287 times
I can't imagine not being able to do both.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:44 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
I could go for one 4 day weekend then 4 three day weekends spread out over a couple of months. I once had a job where we worked and extra hour Monday through Thursday in summers to receive a day off every other Friday. That haul of three day weekends worked great for me. Some where used to run around town errands and others to take a true three day weekend visiting friends or home.

It probably wasn't as useful for coworkers with family/kids but I thought it was great.

I also have to side with the people who wince at what they return to after more than two-three business days away.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:28 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I’d like the week off, very relaxing and rejuvenating.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:44 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,696 times
As a high school teacher I officially began my summer vacation today. We report back mid-August. That's 9 weeks off. Now finished with my 15th year of teaching I'd much rather do year round schooling. Shaving summer vacation down to maybe 4 weeks would be plenty. Heck, I'd be cool with treating summer break like Christmas break and only taking 2 weeks off. I'd much rather have a shorter summer break and maybe only go to 4 days a week but that'll never happen. 4 days a week would better serve students as well IMPO.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:27 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
I'm circling back around to this thread and I appreciate each post and poll response!

It seems most people like the multiple longer weekends idea but there are others who would rather have their vacation in a larger lump amount of time. Something I've probably been guilty of is setting my expectations too high, and the pressure ends up taking away from the fun, so I'm consciously working on not doing that.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:31 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,321 times
While the 2 long weekends sound great I think I would take the full week. Main reason is because I would want to take an extended vacation and with 3 younger kids I would drive rather than fly ($$$) so I would want to allow a few days for travel and time to recover after the vacation. No way I could do all that in 4-5 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment