U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather take a week vacation or have two extra long (4-5 day) weekends, assuming a 5 day wo
I'd rather take the week off. 14 35.90%
I'd rather have 2 shorter weeks (i.e. add two days to a weekend and three days to another weekend) 22 56.41%
Something else (please explain in comments). 3 7.69%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 03:43 PM

2,904 posts, read 2,011,391 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious as to what people would find more enjoyable.

True, with a longer period of time, you do have more time for a longer trip, but sometimes having more short day trips can be more relaxing.

And also, for people who want to take a break from work, some people say that a week really allows them to decompress but the downside is having more pile up to come back to.

Also, hopefully, these aren't the only days during a year that can be taken off, but I'm just talking about in general. Which would you rather have, and why?

Please don't comment with statements like "I'm retired. Every day is a holiday" or "I'd rather be fishing everyday."

Thanks for any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 04:22 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,635,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I'm just curious as to what people would find more enjoyable.

True, with a longer period of time, you do have more time for a longer trip, but sometimes having more short day trips can be more relaxing.

And also, for people who want to take a break from work, some people say that a week really allows them to decompress but the downside is having more pile up to come back to.

Also, hopefully, these aren't the only days during a year that can be taken off, but I'm just talking about in general. Which would you rather have, and why?

Please don't comment with statements like "I'm retired. Every day is a holiday" or "I'd rather be fishing everyday."

Thanks for any thoughts.
I think it ultimately depends on what I'm planning to do in this time.

If I just need a mental break and I'm going to stay home, I'd rather do the weekends. If I'm planning a trip outside of where I live, then a whole week.

I am planning a week and half trip to the East Coast for 4th of July, and since I want to spend time with my family who I rarely see in Maryland, and my parents in Florida, I'm doing a longer vacation to justify the plane tickets and so on.

However I'd rather have shorter, more frequent vacations in general, so A) I don't fall too behind on work and B) have more "mental health" breaks throughout the year. I manage my own projects, so I can plan my work to accommodate for longer vacations, but it does make my workload heavy before and after the vacation.

After a few days or so I don't feel decompressed, I just enjoy my time off. I would rather save more PTO for decompression times.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:03 PM

14,061 posts, read 16,070,870 times
Both.

Been a couple years since I've taken a week off, too hard to schedule and organize. I'm self-employed so I can just take off whenever I want but it's, well, cumbersome. Arranging long weekends is easier so it's what I do.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:23 PM

1,674 posts, read 548,866 times
It depends what I'm doing. If I'm traveling so that I'm going to be traveling/in the air for a full day each way, I'll want to spend a week somewhere, otherwise shorter three day weekends is fine.

I don't need a full week to decompress. I decompress fully on a normal two day weekend.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:43 PM

8,933 posts, read 8,397,741 times
I can see doing either, depending on what I want to do with the time.

If it was my only week of vacation for the year (shudder), I would probably take two long weekends. I am in the fortunate position of being able to do both options.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:54 AM

4,343 posts, read 7,985,937 times
The way I read the question - it seems to be based on the same time off, but just how we'd like to take it (all at once, or break it up)?

I guess ultimately, I'd want the luxury to pick and choose. I'd typically have a trip or two with the family during the summer for the entire week. But then also take a few days off here and there to extend the weekend for getaways or golf trips.

In general though - I'd lean more towards the quick trips. Ultimately, I'd want to check-in even when I'm on vacation just so things don't pile up when I get back.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:04 AM

2,350 posts, read 1,074,758 times
Depends what I want to do and where I want to go. Staying home/close to home, long weekend is nice. Somewhere further away I would want a week so I could see and do more.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,762 posts, read 54,408,375 times
I'd rather have a week off, or two but in reality, I do both at times. After 10 years I am now getting 5 weeks/year of PTO and currently I have about 45 days available.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:20 AM

9,562 posts, read 10,302,330 times
I get enough time off to do both options.

Family vacations, we usually take a week off and plan a local trip to a lake or theme park or something like that.

Personal relaxation, i'll take a Monday or a combo Monday/Friday off. Monday's are great because nobody else takes Monday's off. The kiddo's are in school, roads, malls, stores, etc are pretty quiet and I can get stuff done or just sit around and relax

Old 06-04-2019, 08:48 AM

788 posts, read 727,335 times
I prefer two short vacations than one long one. I find after 3 or 4 days, I’m ready to go home if I’m away. Or if I’m just relaxing at home, I get a little stir crazy.

When my son was younger and traveling with me, I’d take longer vacations. A week, week and a half. Since it’s just me, I don’t take too much time. I accrue about 4.5 weeks per year now. I still have 2 weeks left to use up, and that’s after already booking the week of Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or