U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 06:59 PM

959 posts, read 361,491 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any success in using light sensitivity glasses at work?The light from the screen and the florescents are really bothering me and are distracting.Tips are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 01:58 AM

7,086 posts, read 2,905,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwater_gypsy View Post
Has anyone had any success in using light sensitivity glasses at work?The light from the screen and the florescents are really bothering me and are distracting.Tips are greatly appreciated.
There are filter screens that attach to desktop monitors that help. If there is a fluorescent fixture over your work area maybe changing the bulbs would help. You'll probably have to do some research into the different sorts of bulbs and get specific about the manner in which the current light bothers your eyes. There are different color "temperatures" and intensities that affect vision. Find bulbs that may help and make the recommendation to your office maintenance dept.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:36 AM

517 posts, read 624,399 times
One place I worked I just got a ladder and went up and turned the bulbs near my cubicle and some in the lab, the bulb is still there but won't light when you turn it from being completely in. At least the kind of fluorescent bulbs they always had were like that. Then I brought in some soft light lamp of my own to light up the desk and things being read.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:03 PM

21 posts, read 3,692 times
When you say "light from the screen" I assume you are talking about your computer monitor? if so all monitors have either/or a software adjustment or physical buttons to control the contrast or any other light output that you may find offensive. Ask your IT or tech for instructions, it is fairly easy to customize it for your needs.

As far as overhead lights go you can ask your office manager to see if they are willing to change the fluorescents to a lower color temperature. Most offices will use a 5000k+ temperature bulb as it is closer to sunlight, a lower temperature bulb in the 2700K range is closer to the yellowish living room ambiance.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:01 AM

3,961 posts, read 1,690,813 times
Like blue light blocking glasses? They are like $20 on Amazon and easy enough to purchase.

If you are actually having trouble with the overhead lights, then ask the office manager about it. I had issues in an office for a while because I went from a 2-light ballast to a different 4-light ballast over my head and it was literally like working in a baseball stadium with the light right in my head. I brought in my own lights. Eventually I got them to order soft white lights and take out one of the three and was much better.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,764 posts, read 54,390,602 times
Most bigger companies will have a health and safety department, ours will do an ergonomic study for any employee and recommend solutions. It may involve different desk, chair, or lighting.screen glare guards. I will sometimes wear prescription sunglasses in summer afternoons because of the glare from the sun bouncing off the water outside thru my office window.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:09 AM

3,781 posts, read 2,996,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEngr View Post
One place I worked I just got a ladder and went up and turned the bulbs near my cubicle and some in the lab, the bulb is still there but won't light when you turn it from being completely in. At least the kind of fluorescent bulbs they always had were like that. Then I brought in some soft light lamp of my own to light up the desk and things being read.
I've done this exact thing in multiple offices. Fluorescent lights give me headaches. I brought my own lighting, too.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:47 PM

11,262 posts, read 8,417,691 times
LED lighting is somewhat easier on the eyes. More energy-efficient.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:12 AM

12,161 posts, read 10,339,034 times
You need some blueblockers sunglasses. They were all the rage in the 80s/90s.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:29 PM

959 posts, read 361,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
You need some blueblockers sunglasses. They were all the rage in the 80s/90s.
I just got some and was able to move to another location where the light was less bright. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment