Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 02:53 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,897 times

Advertisements

It will not be an hourly paying job...probably commission and it will not be something that you would be interested in at all...when people are vague..it's usually because it's either an MLM or commission only type of thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 03:19 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Definitely MLM - run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
What annoys me about the MLM people is they are nearly always dishonest about how well things are going for them. I'd have more sympathy is they said, this is a hard gig. But they're ALWAYS crushing it, always doing mega-sales, always on track to retire in '2' years or less.
Ditto! The only person I knew who was "doing well", was only doing so because their SO had a high paying job. Basically they didn't have to work - at all.

Oh, and all the MLM people I met in the past are still working FT jobs.

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 06-05-2019 at 03:27 PM..

Old 06-05-2019, 03:39 PM

23,301 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formosa View Post
A few month ago, I went to a MeetUp meeting and casually mentioned that I was looking for a new job. After the meeting, a young guy approached me and wanted to refer me to his very successful friend. He couldn't give me details of what his friend does. All he said was his friend was doing something big with many big companies. He was so eager to set up a meeting for me with his fiend. He said his friend was super busy but he would pull some strings to block a time with his friend. I thought that was odd.

A couple days later, I decided to cancel the meeting because I sensed something was not right. He sent me an extremely angry text message saying that he is sorry I am not open minded and "they" are looking for someone who is accountable and can follow through blah blah blah. I thought that was weird. Who are "they" ? It sounded like he is part of "they."

The same thing is happening again. I met a nice lady in another Meetup meeting. She wants to hook me up with her very successful friend to see if there is any opportunities. Her successful friend called me. It was a 3 way call. He mentioned he quit his high earning job to start his own business. Now he has a very flexible work schedule and he works very little but makes more money. He takes his family on vacation every month. He emphasized that he is looking for 1-2 business partners and he is very picky. He turned down a lot of people because he wants to find the right persons. Anyway, he promptly wanted to meet with me.

Then he said he is looking for someone who is accountable and can follow through. He also said he works with many big companies. (these sounds really familiar!) He also said he doesn't do well with meeting cancellation and he doesn't reschedule. We set up a time and the 3 of us will meet later this week.

I found his linkedin profile. He is definitely well connected. His reviews on linkedin all sound like he is a life savior. Many of the reviewers mentioned they made little money before, but they are now financially free after knowing this guy.

I found it quite odd that a successful entrepreneur has so much free time. My sister owns her own company and she is working all the time.

Any thoughts? I will still go to that meeting because I am curious about what he does.
All these rosy upsides and no down-sides at all? Why would anyone so successful need to depend on walk ups with complete strangers to get referrals? Who is dumb enough to swallow this stuff?

Old 06-05-2019, 05:01 PM

748 posts, read 820,446 times
Meetup's nowdays are full of 'consultants' and MLM people and scammers. I've met 'life coaches' too. Bunch of people looking for an easy mark.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:42 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formosa View Post
A few month ago, I went to a MeetUp meeting and casually mentioned that I was looking for a new job. After the meeting, a young guy approached me and wanted to refer me to his very successful friend. He couldn't give me details of what his friend does. All he said was his friend was doing something big with many big companies. He was so eager to set up a meeting for me with his fiend. He said his friend was super busy but he would pull some strings to block a time with his friend. I thought that was odd.

A couple days later, I decided to cancel the meeting because I sensed something was not right. He sent me an extremely angry text message saying that he is sorry I am not open minded and "they" are looking for someone who is accountable and can follow through blah blah blah. I thought that was weird. Who are "they" ? It sounded like he is part of "they."

The same thing is happening again. I met a nice lady in another Meetup meeting. She wants to hook me up with her very successful friend to see if there is any opportunities. Her successful friend called me. It was a 3 way call. He mentioned he quit his high earning job to start his own business. Now he has a very flexible work schedule and he works very little but makes more money. He takes his family on vacation every month. He emphasized that he is looking for 1-2 business partners and he is very picky. He turned down a lot of people because he wants to find the right persons. Anyway, he promptly wanted to meet with me.

Then he said he is looking for someone who is accountable and can follow through. He also said he works with many big companies. (these sounds really familiar!) He also said he doesn't do well with meeting cancellation and he doesn't reschedule. We set up a time and the 3 of us will meet later this week.

I found his linkedin profile. He is definitely well connected. His reviews on linkedin all sound like he is a life savior. Many of the reviewers mentioned they made little money before, but they are now financially free after knowing this guy.

I found it quite odd that a successful entrepreneur has so much free time. My sister owns her own company and she is working all the time.

Any thoughts? I will still go to that meeting because I am curious about what he does.

My thoughts are that you should avoid this group and the opportunists who are using it to find targets for their scams.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:23 PM

88 posts, read 286,604 times
I actually know MLM quite well. 2 of my friends are deep in MLM. They pretty much lost all their close friends. I will never get into MLM unless I start one myself. LOL That guy's linkedin profile also said he is a life coach. Yeah... I kind of know he is in MLM or some kind of pyramid scheme. He did say he is helping some big companies with internet marketing so that confused me a little. That's why I am curious. However, everyone's response here just confirmed my speculation.

I am going to use this meeting to practice my interview skills. Hopefully I can learn some speaking skills from him. I did a few informational interviews in the last few months and they really helped me learn how to ask the right questions and respond to questions properly. One of my friends did almost 100 informational interviews and finally landed on his dream job. I have a long way to go before I perfect my interview skills.

I want to thank everyone for your great response! I work on a lot of business proposals and contracts in my current job so I am very cautious when it comes to signing documents. I won't sign anything for sure.

Thank you everyone!

Old 06-06-2019, 06:07 AM

607 posts, read 978,525 times
The more you do the networking thing the easier it will be for you to figure out what is real and what is not. I could tell immediately at the start of your post, op, this was not a real opp. If there is no discussion about the business or skills needed to perform x for company y for the company to accomplish what needs done it isn't worth much of a conversation.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:45 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Listen to your intuition. Sounds too good to be true? Then it probably isn't.
Don't go to the meetings. They might trap you. Hard sell.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:07 AM

88 posts, read 286,604 times
I came back from the meeting. It was sort of interesting. The Meetup lady was in the coffee shop when I walked in. A few min later, her mentor arrived wearing a formal suit. (later I found out they actually carpooled LOL)

When the mentor walked in, the lady pointed out his nice car parked outside of the window. After the introduction, I asked him some questions like his career path etc and he also had a list of questions for me. He asked me things like - do I imagine myself doing a 8-5 job when I am 65? What do I want in my life (freedom, money etc)? What are my failures in my life? What's my biggest fear? What would I do if I have a lot of money blah blah blah. He said he is trying to determine if I have the right mindset to go into business with him and he turned down many people already. It is pretty obvious he is trying to see if I am "coach-able."

I asked him about his business model. He said he has a system that generates money automatically. He wouldn't tell me exactly how his system works since he is still trying to see if I have the right mindset (he said my skill sets are not important LOL). I puzzled the pieces of information together. It has something to do with Amazon's reward program. I believe I ran into one of his followers just a few months ago. He vaguely mentioned they build some kind of website or app to grow subscribers. He said he will give me some homework to read before our next meeting.

The meeting was 1 hour long and then the mentor left in a hurry for another "important meeting." The lady was going to leave with him but i asked her to stay a little longer. I wanted to dig out more information from her. She was cautious but not cautious enough. Before we left, she said her mentor was shopping in the store just across the parking lot and she needed to go find him to carpool home. I am sure they discussed me on their way home.

I won't go to the next meeting for sure but I am still curious how they make money. Anyone knows?

Old 06-07-2019, 05:59 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Classic bait sell. Exiting information given but just enough to leave you wanting more. Problem here is you are already one step in based on your post. You should not deal with these people any further. He has a system that "automatically" generates money? Unless he found out how to grow a money tree, he's pulling your leg.

Also, all these wildly successful people are carpooling? Did you see them get back into that nice car she pointed out? It could have been a random car or a rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment