U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 03:02 AM

61 posts, read 218,200 times

Advertisements

A few month ago, I went to a MeetUp meeting and casually mentioned that I was looking for a new job. After the meeting, a young guy approached me and wanted to refer me to his very successful friend. He couldn't give me details of what his friend does. All he said was his friend was doing something big with many big companies. He was so eager to set up a meeting for me with his fiend. He said his friend was super busy but he would pull some strings to block a time with his friend. I thought that was odd.

A couple days later, I decided to cancel the meeting because I sensed something was not right. He sent me an extremely angry text message saying that he is sorry I am not open minded and "they" are looking for someone who is accountable and can follow through blah blah blah. I thought that was weird. Who are "they" ? It sounded like he is part of "they."

The same thing is happening again. I met a nice lady in another Meetup meeting. She wants to hook me up with her very successful friend to see if there is any opportunities. Her successful friend called me. It was a 3 way call. He mentioned he quit his high earning job to start his own business. Now he has a very flexible work schedule and he works very little but makes more money. He takes his family on vacation every month. He emphasized that he is looking for 1-2 business partners and he is very picky. He turned down a lot of people because he wants to find the right persons. Anyway, he promptly wanted to meet with me.

Then he said he is looking for someone who is accountable and can follow through. He also said he works with many big companies. (these sounds really familiar!) He also said he doesn't do well with meeting cancellation and he doesn't reschedule. We set up a time and the 3 of us will meet later this week.

I found his linkedin profile. He is definitely well connected. His reviews on linkedin all sound like he is a life savior. Many of the reviewers mentioned they made little money before, but they are now financially free after knowing this guy.

I found it quite odd that a successful entrepreneur has so much free time. My sister owns her own company and she is working all the time.

Any thoughts? I will still go to that meeting because I am curious about what he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 04:06 AM

5,537 posts, read 9,935,931 times
Multi-level marketing. Amway or something equivalent.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:35 AM

8,931 posts, read 8,394,310 times
Agreed. MLM or similar.

The LinkedIn reviews are shills involved in the same scam, and the need to make the meeting with no compromise or change is designed to put pressure on you. At the meeting they will increase the pressure and you will be told you have to decide immediately without review.

This is designed to give them all the power and limit your information and eliminate your opportunity to make a considered, educated decision.

Does the offer even make sense? What successful businessperson looks to expand their business by hiring people recommended by mutual contacts who troll for prospects at meetup groups? Does that sound like a picky way to look for a business partner? Would your sister offer to take in somebody you had met once at a meetup group into her business?

Don’t go, it will be a waste of time. If for some reason you do go (but you shouldn’t), keep the picky thing in mind. You will get a limited time proposal to get into the business, but only if you act now,because there are allegedly many others dying to get into this. Does a quick timetable like this sound like the actions of a picky person? One who will not have had time to do a background check on you?

Whatever you do, if you go (but you shouldn’t), don’t sign anything and don’t give them any money.

If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Last edited by fishbrains; 06-05-2019 at 04:44 AM..

Old 06-05-2019, 05:33 AM

517 posts, read 624,399 times
MLM, get it all the time.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:40 AM

4,071 posts, read 2,936,413 times
100% MLM scam. Run away as fast as you can. There is a 99% chance you lose money.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:34 AM

685 posts, read 249,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Agreed. MLM or similar.

The LinkedIn reviews are shills involved in the same scam, and the need to make the meeting with no compromise or change is designed to put pressure on you. At the meeting they will increase the pressure and you will be told you have to decide immediately without review.

This is designed to give them all the power and limit your information and eliminate your opportunity to make a considered, educated decision.

Does the offer even make sense? What successful businessperson looks to expand their business by hiring people recommended by mutual contacts who troll for prospects at meetup groups? Does that sound like a picky way to look for a business partner? Would your sister offer to take in somebody you had met once at a meetup group into her business?

Don’t go, it will be a waste of time. If for some reason you do go (but you shouldn’t), keep the picky thing in mind. You will get a limited time proposal to get into the business, but only if you act now,because there are allegedly many others dying to get into this. Does a quick timetable like this sound like the actions of a picky person? One who will not have had time to do a background check on you?

Whatever you do, if you go (but you shouldn’t), don’t sign anything and don’t give them any money.

If it sounds too good to be true, it is.
This is a very good analysis and advice.

The key words for all of the MLM people are like “I quit my high earning job to start my own business. Now I have a very flexible work schedule and I work very little but make more money. I have no stress. I take my family on vacation every month” to hook you up.

Yes, some of the MLM people can be successful if they know lots of people like friends, relatives, or how to get to know more people like in parties and the meetup like where you go. And they have to be very aggressive to hook people to join. They don’t mind to tell lies at all. Even if they cannot sell many products yet, they still have to tell everyone that they have sold a lot. Yes, they have to spend lots of time to call people, to push people they know to get more people in, and they have to organize and set up meetings to talk and show PowerPoint presentations. That's work. If you can do that, you may be able to make money. There's no way to work a little and make lots of money. Don't believe it.

If you don’t have many friends, relatives, and if you are an introvert, don’t like or don’t know how to talk much, this MLM job (sales job) is not for you.

You can go if you are curious. But the hosts there are very aggressive and pushy. Sometimes, you can feel like you have no choice to decline. You may feel like you are being bullied. They will tell you that if you don't join in fast, you will miss this great opportunity; but it will look like that you make decision on your own.

I did go to one meeting, and after that the hosts there kept calling me, sending me regular mails and emails. I never joined another meeting and never answered the calls or emails. Eventually, nobody contacted me anymore. LOL. I’m glad I have a steady good job that I like and do well.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 06-05-2019 at 07:44 AM..

Old 06-05-2019, 07:45 AM

12,160 posts, read 10,339,034 times
Scam of the pyramid MLM nature. Run, don't walk, away.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:13 PM

1,368 posts, read 1,111,538 times
Undercover Primerica-ees or similar maybe. I wouldn't waste my time.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:26 PM

724 posts, read 616,373 times
What annoys me about the MLM people is they are nearly always dishonest about how well things are going for them. I'd have more sympathy is they said, this is a hard gig. But they're ALWAYS crushing it, always doing mega-sales, always on track to retire in '2' years or less.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:53 PM

10,608 posts, read 13,138,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Multi-level marketing. Amway or something equivalent.
This above. I've been roped into seminars before. Waste of time. People in suits yelling how you can quit your job, vacation all over the world, roll around with strippers in piles of cash and bathe in Avian water in a golden jacuzzi.

PT Barnum once said "Theres a sucker born every minute." Dont be that person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or