U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 12:22 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,206,269 times

Advertisements

-You live in fear of answering to mistakes.
As an engineer (civil) mistakes are going to happen. I triple and even quadruple check my plans before I submit them but mistakes happen. My philosophy on the matter is that "drafting mistake..meh.. ok" "design mistake not ok". When I make drafting mistakes I do hear about it but it's not something that gets me reprimanded.

-You've been cursed out or talked sternly to by clients...
I've never been cursed at by a client or my boss. Berating and using foul language towards an employee is unprofessional and one would hope that an educated person is above such behavior.

-It seems like half of the external emails you send, and half of the conversations you have with clients, lawyers, or superiors have to be well thought out....
Yes, I am very careful about emails sent out to clients or city/county engineers and plan reviewers. It's part of being a professional so get used to it.

-In connection with the previous statement, things come up so fast and so many jobs are happening that often you come to a conclusion, then later on you dissect it more carefully and have a revised answer and then may face the wrath of that.
I guess I havent experienced this yet.

-Your bosses might be somewhat fair, but mostly are concerned with pleasing clients and/or attorneys and kissing their ass so they can obviously ... continue to keep being clients and pay you.
The owners at my company never kiss anyones ass!!! On two occasions I've heard clients get upset because their projects werent being pushed to the head of the line and then listened to my boss more or less tell them to uckf off. For most professionals the attitude is "hey if you dont like what I'm doing then you can get someone else to do it". I think this is true for accountants, doctors and most other professionals. We do have one client that we bend over backwards for and yes, that client is paying the bills for us and keeping everyone employed. On that note, the projects for this particular developer do take precedence over those done for smaller developers and builders.

Last edited by HTY483; 06-08-2019 at 12:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 04:03 PM

5,021 posts, read 3,209,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I would like to know if this situation sounds familiar to anybody else in corporate/managerial positions. I figure it must, especially for middle managers.

I work as an engineer, but this could apply to any career in a corporate setting.

-You've been cursed out or talked sternly to by clients who are mad at you, not necessarily because you've made a mistake but because your business takes $ from them that they don't want to be spending. And sometimes they're just a@@holes. But even though you feel you've done a good job, and sometimes spent your own time to help a client, they're often pissed if they have to continue to pay you.
I spoke to one of our CSR's and she said she'd been called darn near every name in the book, I told her that was normal, she replied "Yeah, but I don't have to like it" I agreed but then said "You have a choice, answer or quit. There's always someone else looking for a job"

It's just business and yes, many clients are A@@holes...

Old 06-10-2019, 09:35 PM

1,673 posts, read 548,866 times
Not really. I know my boss(s) have my back. I am decent at what I do. If the occasional mistake happens, I own up to it immediately. I have their back and they have mine.

I wouldn't stay at a job where I didn't trust the people above me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or