U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2019, 06:12 PM

2,911 posts, read 3,991,972 times

Advertisements

You'll probably never be any use to anyone working for someone else.

Use some of your trust fund to start a small business doing something that you actually like. Then whether you fail or succeed is entirely on you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 06:15 PM

4,285 posts, read 1,293,392 times
Join the service they will install a good work ethic into you even if you donít want one and you just canít quit either.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:29 PM

2,904 posts, read 2,009,925 times
OP, first congratulations for recognizing that you have a character trait in yourself that you're trying to improve and for posting what you post so openly, subjecting yourself to some scrutiny of strangers. I think if everyone were honest we could all think of something major that we would like to improve about themselves.

Now, on to your post, I don't think your effort to develop a better work ethic is going to be effective until you see how your underlying attitude seems to look down on people who do work that you see as being beneath you (i.e."I laughed off the thought of having to work in an office among all the “squares” I couldn’t relate to" and calling most jobs "inconsequential"). You might be the nicest and most altruistic person but your post comes across in a very arrogant manner that you're looking down on people who do have to work to put food on the table, and looking down on the work they do, however humble it may be.

Your first step needs to be to gain more humility, perhaps doing something like volunteering in a soup kitchen or somewhere that serves people in need for a few hours, and go in with an open mind to listen to the stories of the people you encounter who aren't so privileged. Again, it could just be the way your post is coming across because that's all that I have to go by but it certainly gives off that impression. Until you can internalize an attitude adjustment there, I'm afraid you're going to be looking down on people and jobs that seem beneath you and not ready to mentally work on a better work ethic.

Last edited by Jowel; 06-06-2019 at 07:19 PM..

Old 06-06-2019, 06:36 PM

106 posts, read 37,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
First, find out what you are interested in doing.

Take an online Myers-Briggs test - many free sites online. Then do a google search for "jobs for ISTJ's" or whatever personality type you are. The list will be jobs that may interest you.

Second, how much longer will that trust fund subsidy come? Eventually it will run out and you have to be here in the real world. This means you must drop your bad attitude toward work and realize that work is how people make a difference in the world.
I have done all that. I was in a mental hospital and then treatment for another eight months. I did all that Meters Briggs stuff as part of my ďvoc rehab.Ē Itís unimportant. I am 27 years old and I really donít think my interests donít mean squat. I just need to roll up my sleeves and endure. But I find myself really terrible at those starter jobs. Too slow, clumsy, disorganized.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:49 PM

2,410 posts, read 684,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
I did all that Meters Briggs stuff as part of my ďvoc rehab.Ē Itís unimportant. I am 27 years old and I really donít think my interests donít mean squat. I just need to roll up my sleeves and endure. But I find myself really terrible at those starter jobs. Too slow, clumsy, disorganized.
I disagree with "your interests don't mean squat"

You're going to be doing something a minimum of 40 hours a week. 50+ weeks a year, for pretty much the rest of your life.

You BETTER be interested in what you're going to be doing.

If you go to work with the attitude for "roll up your sleeves and endure" you're going to not last long anywhere.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:52 PM

21,532 posts, read 14,346,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
Iíve been looking for a job for eight months and despite my financial situation I sneaked out of the job I accepted, as an office cleaner in a huge skyscraper in downtown Houston, during my first shift. I initially promised myself I would give the job a shot but ended throwing my apron on the floor and taking the elevator down when the woman training me left for break. She was very polite and helpful, but the ďsupervisorĒ who spoke no English began yelling ďmas rapido!Ē and less than an hour later I was disappeared. I knew I wasnít cut out for the job. I canít pay attention, I canít move quickly, and at work I tend to get distracted by my musings on how much working blows.

My whole life Iíve thought of work as a joke and as most jobs completely inconsequential. I was left with a large trust when my dad passed ten years ago. I basically had F.U. money for a long time, but if he were alive I donít think Iíd be much more successful. Growing up I idolized The Beatles and spent my college years smoking and playing guitar. I laughed off the thought of having to work in an office among all the ďsquaresĒ I couldnít relate to. I had unrealistic dreams and I ended up pursuing those. moving to Southern California. I no longer daydream of stardom so Iím a bit lost as to what I should be doing at the moment.

I still get a small subsidy from my trust every month, but with my job history and five year old Art History Bachelorís degree it will most likely be impossible for me to find any work that wonít make me suffer. I need to learn how to suffer through my next menial job and build the foundation of a work history, though I still honestly could care less.
Join the Marines.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:04 PM

16,797 posts, read 14,530,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Join the Marines.
OP is transgender so I doubt that will work in 2019.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:53 PM

6,839 posts, read 3,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Join the service they will install a good work ethic into you even if you donít want one and you just canít quit either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Join the Marines.
I wish folks wouldn't suggest the service as the solution. The service doesn't have time or manpower to fix people's personal problems. Too much is at stake for the guys beside you.

Suggest Peace Corps instead. You still get to squat in the dirt in a third world country and learn how well off we are, but the guys beside you life doesn't depend on you.

Either that or a fish processing boat in the Bering Sea. Can't just up and quit.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:37 AM

172 posts, read 100,002 times
Hello Mr. Maggie, we meet again.

I am going to say with absolutely no sarcasm, that you are one of my three very favorite posters on all of city-data. The other two are a young college kid who obsesses over his age, and a screenwriter whose own screenplay brings him endless grief. Your unique perspective on life is refreshing and for that; I love you so.

Having said that; don't worry about work. If your trust fund is large enough to supplement you for the rest of your life, than go have fun. Pursue dreams and travel the world.

If your trust is going to run out. Then work becomes an automatic necessity, like a bodily function. Desperation will override rational thought and you'll wake up one day with a job. If not, go homeless or go home.

Whatever you do with this life, don't ever change who you are.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:45 AM

172 posts, read 100,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
OP is transgender so I doubt that will work in 2019.
Eh... Sort of transgender. He did state that in a previous thread that he is no longer interested in being a woman and is trying to revert back to being a man. There was a whole thread on his female name being something of a hangup in jobs searches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or