U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 09:55 PM

1,185 posts, read 257,615 times

Advertisements

You need to drink coffee and clean faster. It will progress day by day until you're a pro. You have to start from the bottom and that means cleaning toilets. This is a good job with benefits that will give you 40 hours a week. Most people don't even have that. Hotel and office janitors make a decent wage that is within the realms of the working and middle classes.

My friend got like 5 hours 1 week and 10 hours the next at a chain underwear store in the mall when she was in her early 30s. Most people have zero hours contracts, which means that they can be called into work at any time. Driving Uber is also highly unpredictable and that's a job that many people I know engage in. Teachers have to be fingerprinted and their urine is tested for weed almost every month and also at random. This includes substitute teachers.

"He who does not work, neither shall he eat"

Last edited by fatsquirrel; 06-08-2019 at 10:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 02:55 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,312,926 times
Maybe get a job that's tipped, so you can get more immediate gratification for showing some hustle and doing things right. Bartender, waiter, cabbie, whatever.

There are also some entry level jobs that require good manners and reliability, but are not, in my experience, "hard" as in physically tiring or requiring a ton of skill. Working the front desk at a hotel, for example (especially at night), or call center jobs.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:58 AM

2,510 posts, read 530,296 times
I'm pretty sure I'm wasting my time here but here goes.

OP, here is a millennial who started life out wrong but had drive to make it fairly big...he champions starting out working crappy jobs to motivate you to figure out what you want to do and find the drive to do it rather than stagnate at a level of comfort. He's a youtube Vlogger...I hope you watch and learn something from him. I'll post one of his links, but suggest looking at his other videos as well.

https://youtu.be/vaw9baNFku8

Old 06-09-2019, 10:14 AM

5,768 posts, read 4,822,990 times
The best way to get motivated to work is to actually have to go hungry or not have a decent roof over your head because you have no money. Unfortunately for you, your life of leisure has left you an ethical cripple. You think you're too good to work like the rest of society.

My DH knows a kid he grew up with whose entire family is just like you. Each of the siblings were left a home for themselves by their deceased father, and an income from the other family properties. They've pretty much all squandered their lives and are hateful, bickering, miserable human beings who don't relate well to others and have few, if any, friends.

If you think of most work as "inconsequential", think more about those jobs. What if no one did them? What if no one drove the garbage truck and the trash just built up in the street eternally. Think if no one unclogged the toilets of the world and just left them clogged. What if no one ever repaired cars and they were just left where they broke down, and then no one worked at the auto dealership to sell new ones, in fact no one worked at the factory to make the cars, and no one sold tires, or made steel? Where would we be? What if no one worked as loggers, or in the saw mill, and no one built homes? Where would we live...in caves? Work is consequential because people, and society, need the products of that labor. People need plumbers, and A/C repair guys, people need cooks, and servers, and delivery people. People have to have dentists, and doctors, and pharmacists. No work is beneath you, and you need to recognize that all necessary work in this world has dignity and value, and you should respect the people that do that work. Just because you were left with a silver spoon, the rest of us have had to work to get by for our entire lives, to feed ourselves and our families, to take care of our health needs, and those of others. You need to grow up and recognize that nobody's going to spoon feed you for the rest of your life. And if by chance someone does take care of you, be grateful and appreciate the work of those who aren't so fortunate.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:55 PM

57 posts, read 16,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
And so at some point you’re going to become another “taker”, not contributing to society but content with taking all you can get and offering nothing in return?

Seriously, your attitude is mind boggling. You can’t pay attention, you move too slowly, and your mind is consumed by how much work sucks? Sorry, but your father did you(and ultimately the rest of society) a terrible injustice by leaving you anything at all. What he should have done was given that money to someone that would actually appreciate it and do something with it to better their life. Instead, he gave it to you, an entitled, elitist wannabe who in your own words “honesty could care less”.

Your outrageous statement about finding work “that won’t make me suffer” is pathetic. You are everything that is wrong in society today. I just pray you never find the energy, drive, or motivation to pro create.

Have a nice day...
*Stands up and claps*

Old 06-09-2019, 03:34 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,333,227 times
to be honest, you're likely a "slacker" because you have the means to do so. If you had (HAD) to have a job in order to afford food and a roof over your head you would deal with the jobs you have and make plans to find something better. Because you don't have that motivation (or seems that you don't from your post about the trust fund) why would you look? None of us can tell you how to motivate yourself, unfortunately. We can only say why we work or have done more for our lives. I grew up super poor in a small town, with a OTR truck driver for a father and a lazy SAHM - I knew I wanted better for my life and I worked very hard, with zero support (emotionally or financially) to do so. Today, I am in my 30's and well off, and appreciate what my hard work has done for myself and family.best of luck to you!!

Old 06-13-2019, 12:56 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,150,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
I’ve been looking for a job for eight months and despite my financial situation I sneaked out of the job I accepted, as an office cleaner in a huge skyscraper in downtown Houston, during my first shift. I initially promised myself I would give the job a shot but ended throwing my apron on the floor and taking the elevator down when the woman training me left for break. She was very polite and helpful, but the “supervisor” who spoke no English began yelling “mas rapido!” and less than an hour later I was disappeared. I knew I wasn’t cut out for the job. I can’t pay attention, I can’t move quickly, and at work I tend to get distracted by my musings on how much working blows.
The streets are full of people who couldn't cut it. Drive by Skid Row every day you don't feel motivated and tell yourself, "That's where I'm headed if I don't pull it together."

Old 06-13-2019, 01:00 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,150,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I wish folks wouldn't suggest the service as the solution. The service doesn't have time or manpower to fix people's personal problems. Too much is at stake for the guys beside you.

Suggest Peace Corps instead. You still get to squat in the dirt in a third world country and learn how well off we are, but the guys beside you life doesn't depend on you.

Either that or a fish processing boat in the Bering Sea. Can't just up and quit.
This. The armed services are not job training programs, or there to "straighten people out". They do not "fix" people... they mold them, and if they cannot be molded, they'll be separated as unfit.

I like the fishing boat idea... the thought that you might wind up lost at sea in a storm <cough, cough> if you don't pull your weight has to be motivating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or