Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 11:27 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times

Advertisements

Lower your expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 06:23 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I was actually going to recommend physical conditioning as a precursor to "work conditioning." I'll bet the OP doesn't exercise regularly either.
That's a good idea. Proficiency in one area could translate into proficiency in the other.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:43 AM

515 posts, read 360,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
I’ve been looking for a job for eight months and despite my financial situation I sneaked out of the job I accepted, as an office cleaner in a huge skyscraper in downtown Houston, during my first shift. I initially promised myself I would give the job a shot but ended throwing my apron on the floor and taking the elevator down when the woman training me left for break. She was very polite and helpful, but the “supervisor” who spoke no English began yelling “mas rapido!” and less than an hour later I was disappeared. I knew I wasn’t cut out for the job. I can’t pay attention, I can’t move quickly, and at work I tend to get distracted by my musings on how much working blows.

My whole life I’ve thought of work as a joke and as most jobs completely inconsequential. I was left with a large trust when my dad passed ten years ago. I basically had F.U. money for a long time, but if he were alive I don’t think I’d be much more successful. Growing up I idolized The Beatles and spent my college years smoking and playing guitar. I laughed off the thought of having to work in an office among all the “squares” I couldn’t relate to. I had unrealistic dreams and I ended up pursuing those. moving to Southern California. I no longer daydream of stardom so I’m a bit lost as to what I should be doing at the moment.

I still get a small subsidy from my trust every month, but with my job history and five year old Art History Bachelor’s degree it will most likely be impossible for me to find any work that won’t make me suffer. I need to learn how to suffer through my next menial job and build the foundation of a work history, though I still honestly could care less.

You are right about a couple of things. Most work is not going to change the world. Mainly people do jobs to pay the bills. Previous posters are right, find something that you can do that you don't really hate. Then off to work you go. Sounds like you had a big head start with your trust fund. Getting up from broke is a huge job for most people. Some never make it, and live paycheck to paycheck forever. There are no easy answers to working. It is something you have to do in America.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:24 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Graduate School: fellowships, grants, and endless student loans. There are people in their fifties who are still milking the system.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:47 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
I have enjoyed or tolerated working...Only a couple times did I quit in anger/frustration.... I still never understood people who feel they either deserve a better job without working for it or trying to get better educated or trained....

Old 06-08-2019, 02:38 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
You can't re-live the part of your life that developed your sense of work input > reward. That's already burned into your mind. You know exactly what you need to survive, and that's it. Short of some traumatic event opening up a willingness in you, I don't see one being able to "teach one's self".

Motivation can be temporary, usually it takes a constant presence of a mentor for those who lack it. Join the military.

Old 06-08-2019, 03:22 PM

50,762 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Graduate School: fellowships, grants, and endless student loans. There are people in their fifties who are still milking the system.
It’s not easy at all to get grad school fellowships. Grad school doesn’t have nearly the amount of aid that four your undergrad does, and the few that exist are not going to go to someone who has never used their undergrad degree. If OP had to work as a janitor, what kind of grad school fellowship do you think he can get?

Old 06-08-2019, 03:59 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
Why would you want a good work ethic? You want to get exploited and taken advantage of by an employer?

Old 06-08-2019, 05:42 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,023 times
Move to Chicago or New York and decomea community organizer...

Old 06-08-2019, 08:24 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,256,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
I’ve been looking for a job for eight months and despite my financial situation I sneaked out of the job I accepted, as an office cleaner in a huge skyscraper in downtown Houston, during my first shift. I initially promised myself I would give the job a shot but ended throwing my apron on the floor and taking the elevator down when the woman training me left for break. She was very polite and helpful, but the “supervisor” who spoke no English began yelling “mas rapido!” and less than an hour later I was disappeared. I knew I wasn’t cut out for the job. I can’t pay attention, I can’t move quickly, and at work I tend to get distracted by my musings on how much working blows.

My whole life I’ve thought of work as a joke and as most jobs completely inconsequential. I was left with a large trust when my dad passed ten years ago. I basically had F.U. money for a long time, but if he were alive I don’t think I’d be much more successful. Growing up I idolized The Beatles and spent my college years smoking and playing guitar. I laughed off the thought of having to work in an office among all the “squares” I couldn’t relate to. I had unrealistic dreams and I ended up pursuing those. moving to Southern California. I no longer daydream of stardom so I’m a bit lost as to what I should be doing at the moment.

I still get a small subsidy from my trust every month, but with my job history and five year old Art History Bachelor’s degree it will most likely be impossible for me to find any work that won’t make me suffer. I need to learn how to suffer through my next menial job and build the foundation of a work history, though I still honestly could care less.
And so at some point you’re going to become another “taker”, not contributing to society but content with taking all you can get and offering nothing in return?

Seriously, your attitude is mind boggling. You can’t pay attention, you move too slowly, and your mind is consumed by how much work sucks? Sorry, but your father did you(and ultimately the rest of society) a terrible injustice by leaving you anything at all. What he should have done was given that money to someone that would actually appreciate it and do something with it to better their life. Instead, he gave it to you, an entitled, elitist wannabe who in your own words “honesty could care less”.

Your outrageous statement about finding work “that won’t make me suffer” is pathetic. You are everything that is wrong in society today. I just pray you never find the energy, drive, or motivation to pro create.

Have a nice day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment