U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 02:10 AM

107 posts, read 37,625 times

Advertisements

I’ve been looking for a job for eight months and despite my financial situation I sneaked out of the job I accepted, as an office cleaner in a huge skyscraper in downtown Houston, during my first shift. I initially promised myself I would give the job a shot but ended throwing my apron on the floor and taking the elevator down when the woman training me left for break. She was very polite and helpful, but the “supervisor” who spoke no English began yelling “mas rapido!” and less than an hour later I was disappeared. I knew I wasn’t cut out for the job. I can’t pay attention, I can’t move quickly, and at work I tend to get distracted by my musings on how much working blows.

My whole life I’ve thought of work as a joke and as most jobs completely inconsequential. I was left with a large trust when my dad passed ten years ago. I basically had Mod cut. money for a long time, but if he were alive I don’t think I’d be much more successful. Growing up I idolized The Beatles and spent my college years smoking and playing guitar. I laughed off the thought of having to work in an office among all the “squares” I couldn’t relate to. I had unrealistic dreams and I ended up pursuing those. moving to Southern California. I no longer daydream of stardom so I’m a bit lost as to what I should be doing at the moment.

I still get a small subsidy from my trust every month, but with my job history and five year old Art History Bachelor’s degree it will most likely be impossible for me to find any work that won’t make me suffer. I need to learn how to suffer through my next menial job and build the foundation of a work history, though I still honestly could care less.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-09-2019 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 03:49 AM

686 posts, read 249,062 times
I have no idea. Somebody cares too much. Somebody does not care about anything at all. Sometimes, I think some people are who they are because of how they were raised, and some people are who they are because of they were born that way. Some people listen to some other people's advice. Some don't listen at all, or always argue back. It's hard to say. I think most people when they want to improve themselves, they just need to have self-discipline. If they don't have self-discipline, it's not easy for others to help them.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:36 AM

83 posts, read 24,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
I’ve been looking for a job for eight months and despite my financial situation I sneaked out of the job I accepted, as an office cleaner in a huge skyscraper in downtown Houston, during my first shift. I initially promised myself I would give the job a shot but ended throwing my apron on the floor and taking the elevator down when the woman training me left for break. She was very polite and helpful, but the “supervisor” who spoke no English began yelling “mas rapido!” and less than an hour later I was disappeared. I knew I wasn’t cut out for the job. I can’t pay attention, I can’t move quickly, and at work I tend to get distracted by my musings on how much working blows.

My whole life I’ve thought of work as a joke and as most jobs completely inconsequential. I was left with a large trust when my dad passed ten years ago. I basically had F.U. money for a long time, but if he were alive I don’t think I’d be much more successful. Growing up I idolized The Beatles and spent my college years smoking and playing guitar. I laughed off the thought of having to work in an office among all the “squares” I couldn’t relate to. I had unrealistic dreams and I ended up pursuing those. moving to Southern California. I no longer daydream of stardom so I’m a bit lost as to what I should be doing at the moment.

I still get a small subsidy from my trust every month, but with my job history and five year old Art History Bachelor’s degree it will most likely be impossible for me to find any work that won’t make me suffer. I need to learn how to suffer through my next menial job and build the foundation of a work history, though I still honestly could care less.
You don't learn how to suffer through a job. There are no secret coping skills a working class Joe knows that you don't. They all do it the exact same way. They endure the grind. The mental and physical grind. Simply because they were not fortunate enough to be raised where they could think work was a joke and a job inconsequential. They had no other choice but to endure the grind.

You ask what you should be doing? You should be wondering if you have what it takes to endure the grind. You are going to see how far into themselves hard workers have to dig, just to squeak by in life. It should give you a whole new level of respect for the "squares" who do it day in and day out.

Or you could consider the possibility of a life of crime. Theft, robbery, drug dealing etc. Or find out if you have what it takes to earn a living honestly by being self employed or start a business. However there's a lot you will need to grind through that way to. Sad to say you are probably right that an art degree and no work history is going to have you on the bottom rung of the job market.

I've always laughed at people who thought gangsters and thugs were the tough guys. When in reality they picked a path to try and make their money in an easier way.

The REAL tough folks are the ones who endure the grind. Day in and out. Healthy or sick. Want to or not. They endure to earn their way through life in a legal way.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:55 AM

602 posts, read 201,677 times
There are jobs out there that are not entirely soul crushing. Could you give guitar lessons locally or via YouTube? How about standard office work like filing, call centers, etc? (OK, call centers are pretty awful, but it could be a step to something better.) Maybe think about the things that you do that are NOT totally miserable. Do you prefer physical or mental tasks? How organized are you? How do you interact with other people?

Old 06-06-2019, 06:33 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,971,140 times
It sounds like your spoiled, and that you have never had to work for anything. There is a reason it is called "work" instead of "vacation." Try paying your bills with the money that you make, instead of the money that is given to you. That might motivate you to do something.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:57 AM

4,003 posts, read 2,605,489 times
Find something you don't hate and then realize, there will always be some part of the job you don't like, there will always be days you don't want to go to work and there will always be people at work you don't care for. You will just have to suck it up and deal like everyone else if you need the money.

You have to totally and completely change your mindset. It won't be easy but if you really want to make the change you can. You will need to accept that the days of doing what you want, when you want 100% of the time are gone.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:27 PM

2,053 posts, read 595,092 times
Ha! You got a trust fund you got no rights to complain. Surely the CPA or whomever the administrator was explained to you what would happen if you blew all the money. Now you have to suffer along with the rest of us.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:44 PM

2,111 posts, read 2,088,855 times
I slacked off reading your long post, but will answer the question in your subject line ..... you can't.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:55 PM

2,410 posts, read 687,207 times
First, find out what you are interested in doing.

Take an online Myers-Briggs test - many free sites online. Then do a google search for "jobs for ISTJ's" or whatever personality type you are. The list will be jobs that may interest you.

Second, how much longer will that trust fund subsidy come? Eventually it will run out and you have to be here in the real world. This means you must drop your bad attitude toward work and realize that work is how people make a difference in the world.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:07 PM

513 posts, read 572,017 times
Adderall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or