U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 08:04 AM

40 posts, read 16,541 times

Advertisements

While I am only in my late 20s I have seen a lot of crazy things in corporate America! One thing I have noticed is how many people get fired. They were supposed to be stars and passed a rigorous interview and background investigation and were given extensive orientation and training. Then they disappear. I ask about them and am told in hushed tones that they were fired.

These people seemed nice and worked hard but were fired without notice. (From what I can tell.) I wonder how they land back on their feet? Can they get another job when they were fired for incompetence at their last job and won't have a reference? Will they be able to pay the rent? Is their career ruined?

What is the deal with so many people being fired nowadays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 08:44 AM

3,756 posts, read 2,123,163 times
Usually it’s done in the PC away at my company Layoffs and RIF leading to finally getting rid of the dead weight, poor management etc. the problem with this is by the time they finally get around to laying them off the damage has already been done. The terrible management and problem employees have done irreparable damage

If you have horrid management or terrible employees the LAST thing you want is for them to be able to stick for a year or multiple years and continue to inflict damage on the company

Old 06-06-2019, 09:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,777 posts, read 54,424,430 times
It's become harder to find good help, with the current economy. Sometimes we have to "settle" and the person may not pass probation. We have had two openings recently where the selected applicant backed out at the last minute after accepting our offer, because they got another (better) offer. The next best (and only other qualified) applicant came back with a negative reference. We now have to start over with another recruitment. The best people are in great demand and hard to get. People that have passed probation rarely get fired. Here, I can think of only two in my 10 years, one embezzlement and one forged signature.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:09 AM

20,551 posts, read 16,619,414 times
Only a couple. One rehab aide who was surly and lazy, but was still given a long time before they fired him. An a bipolar (we think) therapist who created enormous amounts of drama and was sometimes disrespectful to patients. She again was allowed to remain quite some time despite complaints.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:35 AM

300 posts, read 159,232 times
Guy was giving multiple warnings about using a cell phone on the shop floor. Decided to just tape the phone to the inside of his hoodie. Was informed that he would have to remove the hoodie and the phone fell out he was talking to the girl in the next paragraph.
Young girl was fired for "preforming sexual acts" in the parking lot. she and the guy above would go on break together if you get what i'm saying.
I've also seen people let go for no real reason. The same company would hire temps and after a two weeks they where hired on. There were multiple times when the company would go against the managers and not hire someone that was recommend after two weeks.
The sadist thing I've encountered was with an oil company during the oil crises. Once or twice a week they would pick 4-7 people from around the different departments. call them in to the lead managers office and fire them on the spot. A lot of people wouldn't even go back to say bye to there co-works. I remember being called in with a group of 6. Lucky we where informed that contractors would not be fired. Was informed a few weeks later that they wanted to hire me on. That was the fasts NO to a job offer/promotion ever.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:51 AM

603 posts, read 203,454 times
i have not noticed any unusually hire firing rates in my company or elsewhere. Those that were let go were primarily due to 1) poor performance, 2) violating company rules, or 3) restructuring/layoffs.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:54 AM

423 posts, read 231,007 times
I can't tell you how jealous I am of people who work for companies not afraid to fire someone. In my very conservative company the only punishment for performing below average is not getting a promotion and/or the max annual increase. As long as these idiots can make it through the 90-day probation period, you may as well consider them tenured for life.

The management culture here is that it is more convenient to keep the dead weight than it is to fire them, post the position, interview, hire and train. And as long as there are other employees that overcompensate and cover, this is the way it is going to be around here.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:02 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,553,447 times
Not in my department. We've had a lot of voluntary quits for various reasons. We're thin as it is.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:06 PM

1,091 posts, read 628,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty but odd View Post
Do you see many people fired at your employer? (Did they deserve it?)
Not many. A few here and there over the last few years. One for obvious incompetence, but that was a rare sight. Once a lady got completely mad over something and was thrown out the building, turned out later they were being bullied. We also fired a new guy who stopped showing up after a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanIAmVA View Post
I can't tell you how jealous I am of people who work for companies not afraid to fire someone.
I'm jealous too. So many companies seem to have given up on expecting anything beyond the lowest performance. We have people here who break a sweat when they pass the buck and even complain they had to do it, let alone actually deal with things. What a bunch of pros.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:44 PM

3,548 posts, read 1,360,288 times
"Do you see many people fired at your employer?"
no.
i do not "see" them get fired.
i do find out about it later.
"(Did they deserve it?)"
right-to-work state.
"deserve" is transitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or