U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 12:45 PM

2,451 posts, read 697,327 times

Advertisements

Employers don't want skills.

They want EXPERIENCE.

No experience, no job.

So who cares you went to school, learned the skills necessary to do the job, you're not getting the job unless some other employer gave you a job.

In other words, employers are entitled, they expect OTHER EMPLOYERS to train and develop the people they hire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 01:13 PM

695 posts, read 253,946 times
Now workplaces are real life theatres. Employees are encouraged by the management to play dramas.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:24 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,497,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
Exactly. I've learned that I have to pretend not to be so knowledgeable about my job. I've learned that I need to buy treats to bring in to share with my co-workers and the management. I've learned that when I see people group together and talk about non-work related, their sickness, or millions of their personal problems, and see people "try" to console each other for half an hour, 45 minutes or more, several times a day, I need to stop working, to join in and smile or weep or pat their shoulders to make them feel better. Your work is not so important. Making your co-workers and your managers to feel good is much more important. That's how you can keep your job. LOL. HORRIBLE.
Office is a safe space for snowflakes, by design.

HR decided the priority: 1. safe space, 2. business.
Who are the oppressed victims: the incompetent and uninterested employees. Evil oppressors are the competent workers.

Old 06-08-2019, 02:18 PM

8,641 posts, read 3,060,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Employers don't want skills.

They want EXPERIENCE.
Until you have too much of it.

Employers want A PRECISE LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE for each hire. There, fixed.

Old 06-08-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Why have larger corporations devalued skill sets?
Having the skill set and being an expert does not give you more than 1% chance of getting a job.
Not having most of the skill set might get you the job anyway.
The 2 sentences combined above means that people with the skill set and people without the skill set have equal chance of getting the job.

Every job posting has a list of skills, but when they are hiring or promoting or not firing someone, there is a lot more emphasis (like 100 to 1) on other things. Sometimes they express their resentment towards anyone who dares to refer to their skills or achievements. At our company, a manager announced that people will not be judged based on how well they do their job at all, rather based on only how they help others with their work.

For example when they say they are looking for communication skills, they are implying that you don't have communication skills, even though you do. You know you do, people you know told you you do. It is a euphemism to cover up something that they would rather not say.
Sometimes HR, other times managers do this.
Some simple jobs can be trained to anyone with an IQ above 85, but some others can only be learned be very talented and dedicated people. So the expectation to hire based on whatever fancy criteria and then teach the guy the job skills later does not work in every profession. Then they produce a garbage product, but never admit what cause this.
This happens more often than not, lets say 90% of the cases.
Is it some kind of psychological tendency of corporate climbers that they have to sign up to this view? How come they don't get caught?
What skill sets? Technical skills? Or social or *sskissing skills?

I've learned that if you are too serious, devoting yourself, focus on your work, work hard, you will have more work to do without a raise, promotion or bonus, and many people will dislike you. If you smile often, don't work too hard, go around and talk with others more, agree with others more, no matter you disagree inside, you will have less work to do and be liked by others. These are changing game and survival skills.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 06-08-2019 at 02:37 PM..

Old 06-09-2019, 02:01 AM

580 posts, read 171,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Until you have too much of it.

Employers want A PRECISE LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE for each hire. There, fixed.
so true. Surely don't act more knowledgeable than your manager, make your ideas sound like he/she thought of it first. Never expect credit for your ideas, the manager will claim your brilliance as his/her own. Trust me. This happens all the time and as a result, they move up, you don't. Give minimally.

The most important think is not intelligence or skill or know-how, it is all about politics. By that I mean just pretend you love your manager and that he/she is the greatest thing that ever walked on this earth. You'll be right.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:03 AM

580 posts, read 171,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
so true. Surely don't act more knowledgeable than your manager, make your ideas sound like he/she thought of it first. Never expect credit for your ideas, the manager will claim your brilliance as his/her own. Trust me. This happens all the time and as a result, they move up, you don't. Give minimally.

The most important think is not intelligence or skill or know-how, it is all about politics. By that I mean just pretend you love your manager and that he/she is the greatest thing that ever walked on this earth. You'll be right.
and the only thing worse than that is to see others doing the same in front of your eyes. lol. Truly gross to see, but I see it daily for our two insecure incompetent managers.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:06 AM

4,034 posts, read 1,821,767 times
Most companies don't want "gurus". Gurus are hard to replace.

I know several things that no one else in the company knows and there are a few other people like that here.
We're the "go to guys" whenever there are questions about older product. This happens all the time.

This is a decent company with about 400 employees.
They don't seem to mind... they don't get rid of long time employees or make them retire, either.
I've never been asked to share the unique stuff. I guess it's easier to just ask the guy who knows.
When I'm about a year from retiring, I'll pass it along.

Last edited by eaton53; 06-09-2019 at 06:19 AM..

Old 06-09-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
and the only thing worse than that is to see others doing the same in front of your eyes. lol. Truly gross to see, but I see it daily for our two insecure incompetent managers.
Agreed. You may feel loathing those and yourself. But what can you do? You have to apply the saying "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" to survive.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:43 AM

2,296 posts, read 1,162,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
In other words, employers are entitled, they expect OTHER EMPLOYERS to train and develop the people they hire.
Even if true... so what? What, exactly, is wrong with someone saying, "I don't want to take the time to train people in basic skills, I want them to be productive out the door, so I'm going to pay more and try to lure them away from someone else who isn't paying enough"? Normally, on C-D, I hear people carping about jobs that "don't pay enough". Now it's wrong to pay "too much", too? Or are we going to go down the "They aren't paying more, they just expect people who are worth more to accept less" road? Because in that world, what is stopping anyone from saying, "I'm worth more than this, I'm not going to apply for or accept that job"? And then if we go down the "But nobody else is paying more, that's all they can get!" road... if $X is "all you can get", how can you possibly claim you're worth more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or