U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2019, 05:09 PM

6,093 posts, read 2,844,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
In an at-will employment state, you most certainly can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
And you would be wrong in your response.
Federal trumps state.
Natonal Relations labor Act of 1935 disagrees with your misguided attempt to use the 'atwill" as a reasoning.
My response to an employee that is engaging in behavior that I don't like:

Quote:
Your services are no longer required. Pack your things and leave.
What, specifically, will the National Relations labor Act of 1935 do to prevent that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
No need to even state a reason.
Exactly.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:17 PM

4,131 posts, read 4,789,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty but odd View Post
The young lady who works as our Receptionist is angry at her paycheck. She is 27 years old and makes about $25,000 a year. She is a High School Graduate, knows how to type, use some functions of Microsoft Office and answers the phone and greets visitors. She overheard people talking about one of our Accountants making about $75,000 a year.

The Accountant has a Masters in Accounting and a CPA. (Certified Public Accountant) and had to pass all kinds of really hard classes in six years of college and get her CPA, which was very hard. She, the Accountant, is also 27 years old.

The Receptionist thinks it is OK for the Accountant to make a little more than she makes but not three times as much. She says they both work hard and she, the Receptionist, deserves at least 70% of the money the Accountant makes.

What should I tell her?
Tell her to mind her own business, I am in the process of obtaining the CPA and it sucks..so if she is willing to get a skill and pass one of the hardest tests (actually 4) then she can make 75k too.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:40 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,697,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Doubtful this even happened. I don't think there's a big enough grain of salt for what the OP was serving up on this forum before he/she was shown the door.
I agree and I think it's pretty obvious that this OP is a troll, yet people keep responding to her crazy threads as if they are real. I'm enjoying the show!

Old 06-08-2019, 06:00 PM

2,744 posts, read 736,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I agree and I think it's pretty obvious that this OP is a troll, yet people keep responding to her crazy threads as if they are real. I'm enjoying the show!

Looks like OP is no longer a member---so perhaps people who are right who thought this was yet again someone who is now retired and posts like this and then gets his account closed. So weird!

Old 06-08-2019, 06:23 PM

11,043 posts, read 4,024,458 times
Degreed or not, $25k for a full time job as a receptionist or any other job for that matter is terrible IMHO. How can one even live making that? Receptionists in the Chicagoland area start around $32K with no degree. I think her first mistake was taking a job that pays peanuts!

Old 06-08-2019, 09:06 PM

1,126 posts, read 606,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Degreed or not, $25k for a full time job as a receptionist or any other job for that matter is terrible IMHO. How can one even live making that? Receptionists in the Chicagoland area start around $32K with no degree. I think her first mistake was taking a job that pays peanuts!
I'd rather make $25k in Ohio or Arkansas than make $32k in "Chicagoland". Of course I'd rather make a lot more doing something else instead.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
My response to an employee that is engaging in behavior that I don't like:

What, specifically, will the National Relations labor Act of 1935 do to prevent that?
Still waiting for a response. . .

Old 06-09-2019, 03:49 AM

14,067 posts, read 7,502,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Something seems very familiar and outdated about this thread. Like we have seen it before.

My first honest reaction is, the accountant in 2019 making $75K a year badly needs a raise. But I suspect this is perhaps a 30 year old conversation.
+1

A CPA with a masters only making $75k? Id be really upset at the company underpaying unless its a new hire new grad.

$25k with full benefits for a high school grad receptionist who does some light clerical work is a bit low in my region but the ratio from that job to an entry level finance job that required a CPA is about right.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:43 AM

6 posts, read 1,080 times
Perhaps encourage the receptionist to further educate herself and make herself more marketable for having something more to offer a potential employer. Ever since I can remember, my parents and teachers would preach that education was key!! The receptionist can also seek another job which offers more, as she's not bound to the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or