U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 09:52 AM

1,996 posts, read 2,484,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The OP is gone? This is a weird topic. In any case, the accountant does not "just have a piece of paper". The accountant has THREE pieces of paper: a BA, an MA and a CPA certificate.Plus, the job of accountant carries much more responsibility than that of receptionist/greeter/typist. Any office manager would know this, and wouldn't need to ask strangers how to respond to such ridiculous whining.
Depends on the state, but I believe most states are the same as Michigan. Michigan requires 150 semester credit hours to take the CPA exam. All the accountants I know have a BS and MBA with an accounting concentration. But I'm going to guess that there are some southern states that only require a bachelors'

Oh, Alabama let's you get by with just a BS if you check all the right boxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 10:08 AM

79,081 posts, read 70,989,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Actually, BA and MA are very uncommon for an accountant. Much more likely is BS and MS (or MTax, MPAC, MACC, etc.).

I have a BA in Accounting and itís quite rare.
Not the point. The point was, that the accountant had two university degrees, one of them--Master's' level, plus a certification. This, compared to the receptionist's HS degree. Night and day.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:11 AM

79,081 posts, read 70,989,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Oh It's Magic View Post
Paying someone that much to do basic math is stupid. You do realize that all they do is add, subtract, multiplication and some division. These are skills you acquire in grade school.
Right, because these days with the computer programs like Excel, any middle school student could be doing accounting, right? Businesses could be hiring pre-teens at lower pay, instead of adults--hey, there's an idea!

Except accountants need to keep up on changes in the relevant laws, and accounting also involves analysis, which goes far beyond mere bookkeeping.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:55 AM

6,093 posts, read 2,844,348 times
Quote:
Not the point. The point was, that the accountant had two university degrees, one of them--Master's' level, plus a certification. This, compared to the receptionist's HS degree. Night and day.
I expected that Ruth4Truth would like to be accurate in her post. Perhaps I was wrong about that.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:24 AM

3,935 posts, read 2,771,746 times
Quote:
But the troll OP made it all up. Everyone else is talking real life.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:45 PM

237 posts, read 41,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty but odd View Post
The young lady who works as our Receptionist is angry at her paycheck. She is 27 years old and makes about $25,000 a year. She is a High School Graduate, knows how to type, use some functions of Microsoft Office and answers the phone and greets visitors. She overheard people talking about one of our Accountants making about $75,000 a year.

The Accountant has a Masters in Accounting and a CPA. (Certified Public Accountant) and had to pass all kinds of really hard classes in six years of college and get her CPA, which was very hard. She, the Accountant, is also 27 years old.

The Receptionist thinks it is OK for the Accountant to make a little more than she makes but not three times as much. She says they both work hard and she, the Receptionist, deserves at least 70% of the money the Accountant makes.

What should I tell her?
I guess it depends on what kind of company it is. If the company's core business is "marketing" or "advertising", she may be warranted in her displeasure since the receptionist is usually the FIRST impression that a new client has with your firm. Good PR is worth more than an accountant.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:53 PM

6,745 posts, read 3,791,154 times
Quote:
The young lady who works as our Receptionist is angry at her paycheck. She is 27 years old and makes about $25,000 a year. She is a High School Graduate, knows how to type, use some functions of Microsoft Office and answers the phone and greets visitors. She overheard people talking about one of our Accountants making about $75,000 a year.

The Accountant has a Masters in Accounting and a CPA. (Certified Public Accountant) and had to pass all kinds of really hard classes in six years of college and get her CPA, which was very hard. She, the Accountant, is also 27 years old.

The Receptionist thinks it is OK for the Accountant to make a little more than she makes but not three times as much. She says they both work hard and she, the Receptionist, deserves at least 70% of the money the Accountant makes.

What should I tell her?
Doesn't sound like she asked your opinion. So you don't need to tell her anything.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:18 PM

6,779 posts, read 1,421,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Talking about your salary is allowed by law. Not allowing it hurts employees by not allowing them to hear about competitor ssalaries. It's been this way since 1936.
Are you sure about this?

I was told that a co-worker of mine was fired for this very thing in 1985 (about) -- and this was in California!

Old 06-16-2019, 07:18 AM

17,365 posts, read 19,637,402 times
Quote:

What should I tell her?
A high school graduate who works as a receptionist complaining that somebody with a masters degree in accounting makes more money than her?

What the heck kind of world does she live in? She needs to get a clue. LOL

Old 06-16-2019, 12:24 PM

2,508 posts, read 719,788 times
So what's stopping the receptionist from going to school, getting her 150+ credits, her CPA and getting a job like the accountant?

Oh. She doesn't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or