U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-16-2019, 02:28 PM
 
343 posts, read 150,284 times
Reputation: 378

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
So what's stopping the receptionist from going to school, getting her 150+ credits, her CPA and getting a job like the accountant?

Oh. She doesn't want to.
Lots of people can't afford education when their income is so low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-16-2019, 02:36 PM
 
19,055 posts, read 7,420,357 times
Reputation: 8138
Troll or real (thread), I have known lots like the receptionist, and honestly her feelings do not merit an answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2019, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,607 posts, read 11,122,187 times
Reputation: 10339
I'd be pissed as the accountant at being grossly underpaid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2019, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Central Mass
1,999 posts, read 2,485,781 times
Reputation: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I'd be pissed as the accountant at being grossly underpaid.
I wouldn't, as this fictitious person makes more than the median for all 1.2 million US accountants. Median accountant makes $70,500 in the US rather than the fantasy land that people in this thread live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2019, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
2,366 posts, read 1,185,453 times
Reputation: 5561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
Lots of people can't afford education when their income is so low.

Bull. Even without being "low income", there is a ton of free education, low-cost education, subsidized education, grants, guaranteed loans, etc. There is very literally nothing stopping anyone from pursuing education and a better career than their own aptitude, motivation, and choices in life. If someone wants it and is capable of doing it, they can do it. It won't be easy or fun, but it is doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2019, 09:04 AM
 
325 posts, read 397,710 times
Reputation: 671
Maybe he meant that poor people can't afford to take time off of working to get an education, i.e. they're working two jobs. Not that it's impossible to work multiple jobs and go to night school at the same time, but I'd imagine that most can't do it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Bull. Even without being "low income", there is a ton of free education, low-cost education, subsidized education, grants, guaranteed loans, etc. There is very literally nothing stopping anyone from pursuing education and a better career than their own aptitude, motivation, and choices in life. If someone wants it and is capable of doing it, they can do it. It won't be easy or fun, but it is doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2019, 10:49 AM
 
6,095 posts, read 2,845,699 times
Reputation: 6016
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
I wouldn't, as this fictitious person makes more than the median for all 1.2 million US accountants. Median accountant makes $70,500 in the US rather than the fantasy land that people in this thread live in.
Is that median accountant salary, or median CPA salary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2019, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Central Mass
1,999 posts, read 2,485,781 times
Reputation: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Is that median accountant salary, or median CPA salary?
Accountant per BLS.

Average CPA salary is 73,800 according to many sources. $67,000 per Glassdoor. $64,750 per PayScale. 80k per Indeed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2019, 12:21 PM
 
Location: NYC
13,025 posts, read 8,826,552 times
Reputation: 14336
You can get a setup paying about $60-90k a year just setting up iPhones for people. It's sounds hard but once you know the process, it's easier than a secretary job. You just need to know Airwatch or MAS360.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2019, 01:03 PM
 
6,095 posts, read 2,845,699 times
Reputation: 6016
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Accountant per BLS.

Average CPA salary is 73,800 according to many sources. $67,000 per Glassdoor. $64,750 per PayScale. 80k per Indeed
Those are interesting numbers, and it would be beneficial to know just how they were compiled, and just what they mean by "average."


In a 2017 study, the Journal of Accountancy reports things to be very different:


Quote:
Accounting remains a lucrative profession for those who are qualified, as the average salary of a CPA based in the United States is $119,000 per year, excluding bonuses. Newly qualified CPAs with less than one year of experience earn an average salary of $66,000 per year, and CPAs with more than 20 years of experience average $152,000 per year in salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top