U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 06:49 AM

15,050 posts, read 21,815,245 times

Advertisements

Why do you feel you have to tell her anything? It’s not your problem she doesn’t have common sense.

If you are in a leadership position I would make it a point to talk to people about how it is unprofessional to talk salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 06:55 AM

4,362 posts, read 8,018,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty but odd View Post
I did not give the receptionist the salary of the accountant. It was passed along in general conversation. The accountant told someone who told someone else, etc.

The receptionist does not think just having a piece of paper (A MA Degree and a CPA) should mean that they make three times more than her. I told her that in 15-20 years when the Accountant moves into management she will make 5-6 times the pay of a receptionist. She got even angrier.

What is a fair wage difference between our 27-year-old Receptionist and our 27-year-old Accountant?
She free to think what she wants. She's entitled to her opinion. But her opinion doesn't change anything. If she want's 70% of what the accountant is making, she needs to figure out what she needs to do.

As for the fair wage question - there isn't a real answer. First - "fair" is subjective. And second, there isn't really any attributes provided that would allow us to answer the question.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:55 AM

23,757 posts, read 17,704,665 times
The fact that the salaries are floating around like that is bad.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:56 AM

47 posts, read 13,813 times
What is a fair wage difference between our 27-year-old Receptionist and our 27-year-old Accountant?

Why would you even entertain such a thought, and worse yet, a discussion about it with the receptionist?

The accountant makes more because of her certifications, education, experience, and training. If the receptionist does not like that, then she can get off her ass and go get the same qualifications. Or, hit the road. Life is about choices; maybe she should make better ones.

This goes along with my theory that the lowest paid person in the office usually causes the most trouble (because they have less to lose).

Old 06-07-2019, 06:59 AM

1,548 posts, read 1,289,074 times
Just tell her that when you Retired, things were different and "young ladies" (pro-tip: 29 year olds don't refer to 27 year olds as "the young lady") knew their place.

Oo, my crystal ball is showing me something. If this thread goes long enough, you'll gradually reveal that the receptionist in question is very overweight, or perhaps covered in tattoos. Lives in sister's basement? Moles all over her face? No?

Congrats on your shelf life lasting another day, though. Do it up! Get in as many threads as possible! You already got one guy in this thread to reference "entitled snowflake millennials", so your m.o. is working.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:06 AM

6,462 posts, read 3,537,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
Just tell her that when you Retired, things were different and "young ladies" (pro-tip: 29 year olds don't refer to 27 year olds as "the young lady") knew their place.

Oo, my crystal ball is showing me something. If this thread goes long enough, you'll gradually reveal that the receptionist in question is very overweight, or perhaps covered in tattoos. Lives in sister's basement? Moles all over her face? No?

Congrats on your shelf life lasting another day, though. Do it up! Get in as many threads as possible! You already got one guy in this thread to reference "entitled snowflake millennials", so your m.o. is working.
As the person who said it, I stand by it for the receptionist. Anytime someone in the workforce thinks they “deserve” something “just because”, they feel entitled. At 27 she is certainly a millennial. So is the accountant of course.

Maybe “snowflake” isn’t apt, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s probably a duck.

Any person, of any generation, who thinks at age 27 that it’s “unfair” that someone with more education and qualifications, not to mention responsibilities, gets paid more needs to adjust their attitude.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:14 AM

9,078 posts, read 8,471,993 times
Why do we need to bring age into this? I have an employee in his 50s who feels the same way. He firmly believes that his low skilled job should be paid equally with our highest paid, highest skilled employees.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:27 AM

3,935 posts, read 2,771,746 times
Well, with only 6 employees in the office operations division, per the other thread, and only 2 going to be left by next month, just curious who is talking about salaries, and who is going to lose their jobs anyway?

Old 06-07-2019, 07:33 AM

8,717 posts, read 3,138,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
Remind her that she is not degreed...and, yes, I would not even engage in such a volatile conversation about someones’ salary that should be CONFIDENTIAL
Actually... NLRB regulations guarantee the right of employees to discuss their salaries. Company rules about it are illegal. That said, my entire message to the receptionist is "Boo-hoo."

Old 06-07-2019, 07:38 AM

4,568 posts, read 4,750,173 times
Are you that surprised? There is an entire group of people that have a skillset that could be replaced in 10 minutes demanding at least $15/hr and full time work. There are EMTs and firefighters barely making that in many areas of the country.

Hell my wife is an office manager and just crossed $15/hr 2 years ago she's been there for 7 years. But yeah...the guy flipping burgers at McDonald's down the street clearly deserves to make just as much as an office manager or an EMT.

I think the idea of economics and the skillset you bring to the table driving your income has been replaced with the idea of how much a company pays you is = to how much they value you as a human being. Not sure when that happened...

I feel like an old fuddy duddy and I'm a millennial, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or