U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 12:04 PM

1,881 posts, read 755,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty but odd View Post
I
The receptionist does not think just having a piece of paper (A MA Degree and a CPA) should mean that they make three times more than her. I told her that in 15-20 years when the Accountant moves into management she will make 5-6 times the pay of a receptionist. She got even angrier.

What is a fair wage difference between our 27-year-old Receptionist and our 27-year-old Accountant?
Of course the receptionist got angrier. It's obvious she hates her low pay. The wages for her job and the CPA's is fair. The CPA needed to pass an incredibly hard test to get the license. A receptionist doesn't need to pass any test to do that job. Anyone can do it. That's the difference.

It's obvious the receptionist feels crummy that she doesn't have the same degrees/license. So she needs to stop feeling sorry for herself and DO something. The question is: What does she want to do and what is she willing to do? She can stay in admin and get more job experience, ask her boss for more responsibilities at her current job, then look for a higher-paying job with that experience in hand. Or she can change fields entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 12:05 PM

579 posts, read 144,983 times
Laws or no laws, sharing employees wages inside the company is just asking to set off a domino effect of disgruntled employees. At the hospital where I was working back in 90's, a employee that worked in the payroll dept. "shared" some pay scales for various employees throughout the hospital.

For a month that hospital had employees walking around mad as hell, and here is what just ONE of them was telling everyone that would listen to them...

" I started working here 4 years ago, and NOW I find out that XXX that just started working here last week in my department doing the same damn job as I am, is making the same per hour as I am ! "

Forget the law the ACA guy signed. It is just plain old, good business world COMMON sense... to not ever share the knowledge of employees wages... amongst the employees.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:06 PM

1,594 posts, read 416,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
Just tell her that when you Retired, things were different and "young ladies" (pro-tip: 29 year olds don't refer to 27 year olds as "the young lady") knew their place.

Oo, my crystal ball is showing me something. If this thread goes long enough, you'll gradually reveal that the receptionist in question is very overweight, or perhaps covered in tattoos. Lives in sister's basement? Moles all over her face? No?

Congrats on your shelf life lasting another day, though. Do it up! Get in as many threads as possible! You already got one guy in this thread to reference "entitled snowflake millennials", so your m.o. is working.
Something seems very familiar and outdated about this thread. Like we have seen it before.

My first honest reaction is, the accountant in 2019 making $75K a year badly needs a raise. But I suspect this is perhaps a 30 year old conversation.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:07 PM

1,594 posts, read 416,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty but odd View Post
The young lady who works as our Receptionist is angry at her paycheck. She is 27 years old and makes about $25,000 a year. She is a High School Graduate, knows how to type, use some functions of Microsoft Office and answers the phone and greets visitors. She overheard people talking about one of our Accountants making about $75,000 a year.

The Accountant has a Masters in Accounting and a CPA. (Certified Public Accountant) and had to pass all kinds of really hard classes in six years of college and get her CPA, which was very hard. She, the Accountant, is also 27 years old.

The Receptionist thinks it is OK for the Accountant to make a little more than she makes but not three times as much. She says they both work hard and she, the Receptionist, deserves at least 70% of the money the Accountant makes.

What should I tell her?
Tell her to come on C-D and join the discussion.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:36 PM

367 posts, read 295,044 times
That fact that she does not understand that a person with an MA degree and a CPA deserves significantly more speaks to why she is in the position shes in now.

The 27 year old with the MA might still have large school loans to pay off.....

$25k does seem low for a full time receptionist at a company that can afford $75k accountants. Id expect something like 30-35K for the receptionist.

Id be more concerned with her attitude, its ok for her to bring up a raise respectfully but if shes genuinely mad she needs to take some time to reflect on whats shes done. She may not have a future at that company.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:38 PM

4,100 posts, read 2,660,500 times
How can this even be a real thread? It's common sense that receptionists make less than accountants. And now that I see OP is no longer a member, I doubt very much it was an actual situation.

Last edited by Rowan123; 06-07-2019 at 01:23 PM..

Old 06-07-2019, 12:53 PM

10,072 posts, read 4,710,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Tell her to come on C-D and join the discussion.
tell her if she wants 70% of the pay, she can do 70% of the workload too

but then she'd have to learn to be more than a receptionist, and she might feel jilted because she's entitled to it without more work

just like those $15/hr McD workers, always wanting more money without providing more in return

Old 06-07-2019, 01:28 PM

1,036 posts, read 360,244 times
The CPA/MA should be mad. She could easily earn more than $75,000 with those credentials. Two of my sisters are CPA's. They earned (inflation adjusted) way more than that at 27 years old without having a Master's Degree.

I would tell the receptionist there is an easy way for her to rectify the situation. Go back to school for 5/6 years and study for months on end for the CPA exam.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:59 PM

19,049 posts, read 7,415,498 times
I'd automate the phone system, and eliminate the worthless receptionist position.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:32 PM

260 posts, read 55,385 times
Well, it's important to look at the full picture here.
$ 75,000 bruto means $ 57,000 neto for the accountant.
$ 25,000 bruto means $ 21,000 neto for the receptionist. (Source: https://salaryaftertax.com/us)

So, here we go, right here: the $ 50,000 salary difference the receptionist is so mad about is in reality a $ 36,000 difference per year.

Plus: while the accountant was in college for 6 years earning her degrees, what did the receptionist do? She had 6 years to work and make money, while the accountant was studying and spending money to pay for her school tuition fees.

If she worked as a receptionist during that time, it means she had 6 years to learn something during her free time, since receptionists do not bring work home. Could be computer skills, a foreign language or whatever else the receptionist would have liked. Once their work day is over and they leave the office, that's it, they're free. Not sure at all that this is the case for accountants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or