U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 08:49 PM

1,541 posts, read 399,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
He has his eye on a management position and has made it clear that he wants to be in upper management.
And some people want to be ruler of a country, but until they get there it doesn't mean anything.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:18 AM

9,675 posts, read 15,849,412 times
News Flash, folks!

Age discrimination has always been with us, its just less blatant now than back in the day.

A story from my grandfather. This story took place back in the 20';s, when he was a young man looking for work in the factories. One application stated in bold letters: "If you are 40 years old or will see your 40th birthday this year, do not bother to apply". Well, at least they said so! today such a statement would be illegal, but that doesn't stop such from happening, they just are less blatant about it.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:45 AM

111 posts, read 44,710 times
As a 60 year old flight instructor, I can assure you that age discrimination works the other way sometimes. It's one of the fields where the old, gray-haired guy is often sought after.

One time in our flight school, a lady brought her son in to start flying lessons. She looked at all of the (mostly) young instructors and pointed at me, saying: "I want you to teach my son how to grow old doing this."

Old 06-13-2019, 07:12 AM

23,989 posts, read 32,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Interesting. Maybe it's industry-specific, or more common on jobs that don't have significant professional demands. I don't recall the last time I was asked anything about my high school, and I mean in hundreds of apps across the last five years.

I work in IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
And some people want to be ruler of a country, but until they get there it doesn't mean anything.
He's already a team lead and management loves him, so he'll get there.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:16 AM

3,897 posts, read 2,740,705 times
The other day my husband was complaining about how many hours he had worked in our business this week and said we should just go work for someone else again. I said, remember, no one will hire us, we tried that when we were in our 40's. We're 61 now.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:32 AM

8,561 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Can you rephrase your response using paragraphs? It is hard to follow the format it was in. You presented a lot of data, but I'm not sure you addressed the point...
You don't say.

If an AI bot were to invade C-D, I suspect its posts would be extremely long, and entirely composed of material from 10 year old textbooks. Comprehensibility and connecting logic would be weak.

Just saying'.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
The other day my husband was complaining about how many hours he had worked in our business this week and said we should just go work for someone else again. I said, remember, no one will hire us, we tried that when we were in our 40's. We're 61 now.
Yeah.

I chose not to restart my agency when I relocated - just tired of the 'do everything' grind. But looking for a corporate slot again has been soooooo productive...

Old 06-13-2019, 12:28 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,150,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
That's funny. I'm pushing 50, and get several recruiters contacting me each week, trying to get me to move on. My wife, who's about the same age, just started a job search, and is already getting contacts.

Nobody is just using age as a pass/fail filter. They can't afford to do so. If you need good, experienced employees you do not start to nit-pick over irrelevant details. Most "age discrimination" boils down to, "I'm not getting the skills and experience that age would bring... I can get someone younger, hungrier, and cheaper and don't have to deal with the potential downside of someone who's set in their ways or feels that their "seniority" counts for something." And what, exactly, is wrong with that? If an employer needs and believes they're getting a certain level of capability, why should they pay more? Why would anyone not want someone who's on an upward trajectory and instead prefer someone who's plateaued?

Sorry, I see job openings all the freaking time where nobody cares how white your hair is... they care that you can do the job, and the job has requirements that most people, and most "younger" people, cannot meet. If someone is in their 50s and trying to compete head-to-head with folks in their 20s or 30s; that's a failing on their part.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
That's funny. I'm pushing 50, and get several recruiters contacting me each week, trying to get me to move on.
Your field again? IT/CS, no doubt, and you live in a tech zone?

Quote:
Nobody is just using age as a pass/fail filter. They can't afford to do so.
Complete Mod cut.

I just got yet another 24-hour "no thanks" response on a job for which my resume was a mirror of the job requirements. The job is still currently listed on all sites including the corporation's. The only possible reason for such an instant rejection is my evident age; there is no slightest doubt in my mind that the same resume with dates advanced 10 years or a little more would have gotten a phone interview, not a bot rejection.

This is life if you're over 45 and don't write your resume in the programming languages and network protocols you've mastered, and apply to one of the six other tech companies in your building.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-15-2019 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:25 PM

3,897 posts, read 2,740,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
That's funny. I'm pushing 50, and get several recruiters contacting me each week, trying to get me to move on. My wife, who's about the same age, just started a job search, and is already getting contacts.

Nobody is just using age as a pass/fail filter. They can't afford to do so. If you need good, experienced employees you do not start to nit-pick over irrelevant details. Most "age discrimination" boils down to, "I'm not getting the skills and experience that age would bring... I can get someone younger, hungrier, and cheaper and don't have to deal with the potential downside of someone who's set in their ways or feels that their "seniority" counts for something." And what, exactly, is wrong with that? If an employer needs and believes they're getting a certain level of capability, why should they pay more? Why would anyone not want someone who's on an upward trajectory and instead prefer someone who's plateaued?

Sorry, I see job openings all the freaking time where nobody cares how white your hair is... they care that you can do the job, and the job has requirements that most people, and most "younger" people, cannot meet. If someone is in their 50s and trying to compete head-to-head with folks in their 20s or 30s; that's a failing on their part.
Best of luck to your wife. Curious what your specific field is that you would have several recruiters contacting you each week.

I'm not whining, it just is what it is. We moved on to being our own boss many years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or