U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 05:51 PM

2,420 posts, read 690,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin2 View Post
As a 60 year old flight instructor, I can assure you that age discrimination works the other way sometimes. It's one of the fields where the old, gray-haired guy is often sought after.

One time in our flight school, a lady brought her son in to start flying lessons. She looked at all of the (mostly) young instructors and pointed at me, saying: "I want you to teach my son how to grow old doing this."
I was reading about how pilots cant get jobs after their training, so they become flight instructors until they get the required number of hours and then get jobs with the airlines. That's why there are so many young flight instructors

Old 06-13-2019, 07:52 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,716,925 times
I think the whole thing over paying younger workers less is a red herring. Most major places X job pays in X range, regardless of age. Y job pays in Y range. If you are a hiring manager hiring for X job, then why would age even enter into it? The pay budget is set.

The only reason to bring up pay vs age is to try to cover for other non business reasons for preferring younger workers over older ones.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,789 posts, read 54,440,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
The other day my husband was complaining about how many hours he had worked in our business this week and said we should just go work for someone else again. I said, remember, no one will hire us, we tried that when we were in our 40's. We're 61 now.
I was in that situation, when my business of 16 years went under in the recession in 2008-09. I was able to find a good job at age 57, since then promoted twice. Even as an exempt manager I still only have to work 40 hours, far less than when I had the business, plus the paid vacation, medical and other benefits that I didn't have before.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:42 PM

8,604 posts, read 3,032,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I was in that situation, when my business of 16 years went under in the recession in 2008-09. I was able to find a good job at age 57, since then promoted twice. Even as an exempt manager I still only have to work 40 hours, far less than when I had the business, plus the paid vacation, medical and other benefits that I didn't have before.
I'll point out that your example is from ten years ago, when I saw no problems with finding either long term clients or short term employers and heard no particular complaints about the situation.

Things have changed in the last few years. That's the whole point here.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,789 posts, read 54,440,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I'll point out that your example is from ten years ago, when I saw no problems with finding either long term clients or short term employers and heard no particular complaints about the situation.

Things have changed in the last few years. That's the whole point here.
But that was when there were many layoffs, in fact there were over 30 laid off a week after I started, very few companies were hiring. In the last year we have hired several people in their late 50s and even early 60s in upper management.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:11 PM

40,214 posts, read 15,182,402 times
I'm tired of cleaning up this thread. Since some members can't seem to resist bashing, the thread is now closed. You were forewarned. To those of you who play by the forum rules, thank you and I'm sorry I've had to close this one.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or