Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 09:51 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Based on the Original Post and follow ups by the Original Poster it appears she was hoping for the "characteristic pile-on" to be heaped upon her coworker who had the temerity to disturb her while seeking a modicum of assistance.

It's not as if he was sure she didn't know anything about the other coworker with whom he was supposed to meet or that he interrupted the OP in her performance of CPR or some other critical exercise. Perhaps he just thought that being enshrined in her own office she might have more of an attitude of cooperation at least with her own coworkers, who in theory at least should share the common goals of the organozation.
One more time, what "constructive" thing was she supposed to have done?

Check the bathrooms? Run around looking for the other person? What? You're the one who made the statement that it was almost unanimous that she hadn't done anything "constructive."

ETA if anything, he should have asked the person in the next office from the one he had the appointment with rather than roaming around. As for the person who said she should be fired for the blank look, that's just hilarious.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-09-2019 at 10:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 10:05 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
One more time, what "constructive" thing was she supposed to have done?

Check the bathrooms? Run around looking for the other person? What? You're the one who made the statement that it was almost unanimous that she hadn't done anything "constructive."

ETA if anything, he should have asked the person in the next office from the one he had the appointment with rather than roaming around.
Once again, even offering to page the woman would have been more constructive than her blank stare, pointing and her non-responsive statement as to where the office was. The guy had no way of knowing whether the OP would or would not know where his subject would be but apparently thought it was worth asking. It's too bad that it was so much of an imposition that the OP was inspired to create this thread.

I would also note that the OP, who was so concerned with being interrupted at work, posted her screed at eleven o'clock in the morning, a time when most office workers are engaged in tasks more important than posting on an internet message board. At least six times in the next five hours she managed to drag herself away from her position of responsibility to make further comments about how put upon she was by this coworker who was only trying to get some work done.

Last edited by kokonutty; 06-09-2019 at 10:18 PM..

Old 06-09-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Once again, even offering to page the woman would have been more constructive than her blank stare, pointing and her non-responsive statement as to where the office was. The guy had no way of knowing whether the OP would or would not know where his subject would be but apparently thought it was worth asking. It's too bad that it was so much of an imposition that the OP was inspired to create this thread.
Again, he was an employee and could have paged the person he had an appointment with himself. Or called. Or simply waited for five minutes before roaming around.

Quote:
Someone just poked their head into my office to say that they were here for a meeting with a different person who happens to be in an office on the other side of the suite. I looked blankly at him, point him back across the office suite and said "that person's office is over there." He said oh, no one was over there.
If you'll read the OP, it seems he poked his head in with a statement, not a question. He didn't start out asking where the person he had an appointment with was; he was telling the OP that he had an appointment with so-and-so, so I'm not sure why you and others are finding such fault with her response. She pointed him in the direction of the other person's office, which is probably what most people would do if someone poked there head in their door and said "I have an appointment with so-and-so."

Quote:
I would also note that the OP, who was so concerned with being interrupted at work, posted her screed at eleven o'clock in the morning, a time when most office workers are engaged in tasks more important than posting on an internet message board.
C-D sleuthing at its finest. LOL. People do get breaks and lunches, and some even start posts, don't quite finish them, and hit the applicable button later. I wouldn't read too much into the time that someone posts something.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-09-2019 at 11:10 PM..

Old 06-09-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Again, he was an employee and could have paged the person he had an appointment with himself. Or called. Or simply waited for five minutes before roaming around.

If you'll read the OP, it seems he poked his head in with a statement, not a question. He wasn't asking where she was; he was telling the OP that he had an appointment with so-and-so, so I'm not sure why you and others are finding such fault with her response. She pointed him in the direction of the other person's office, which is probably what most people would do if someone poked there head in their door and said "I have an appointment with so-and-so."

C-D sleuthing at its finest. LOL. People do get breaks and lunches, and some even start posts, don't quite finish them, and hit the applicable button later. I wouldn't read too much into the time that someone posts something.
it is clear that you're an apologist and I do not agree, so be it.

It is also clear that the OP has a broad history of posting on CD during what are normal business hours in offices. It is difficult to post a dozen times or more during the work day without exceeding a reasonable person's expectation of when work is done and when breaks are appropriate. One wonders how many other websites are visited daily by the OP when her organization has reasonable expectations that she is working on their behalf.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
it is clear that you're an apologist and I do not agree, so be it.

It is also clear that the OP has a broad history of posting on CD during what are normal business hours in offices. It is difficult to post a dozen times or more during the work day without exceeding a reasonable person's expectation of when work is done and when breaks are appropriate. One wonders how many other websites are visited daily by the OP when her organization has reasonable expectations that she is working on their behalf.
And it's clear that you just don't get that the guy popped his head into her office with a statement concerning having an appointment with someone else; her response pointing him in the direction of the other person's office was quite rational. The blank stare that some are trying to condemn her for is a typical reaction with some people when they're interrupted while concentrating on their work.

Not really an "apologist" here; just not willing to jump on a bandwagon, and I've noticed that a lot of the responders are twisting the situation into something it wasn't.

So what if the OP posts on a forum when you think she should be working? For all you know, she takes work home, works flexible hours, or is good enough at her job so that her company gets its money's worth even if she does spend a bit of social time online. Now you've got her going to who knows how many websites during her working hours, lol. Not sure what any of this even has to do with the situation she described anyway.

How very odd that you're tracking her posts to such an extent. Seems obsessive.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-09-2019 at 11:56 PM..

Old 06-09-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
And it's clear that you just don't get that the guy popped his head into her office with a statement concerning having an appointment with someone else; her response pointing him in the direction of the other person's office was quite rational. The blank stare that some are trying to condemn her for is a typical reaction with some people when they're interrupted while concentrating on their work.

So what if the OP posts on a forum when you think she should be working? For all you know, she takes work home, works flexible hours, or is good enough at her job so that her company gets its money's worth even if she does spend a bit of social time online. Now you've got her going to who knows how many websites during her working hours, lol. Not sure what any of this even has to do with the situation she described anyway.

How very odd that you're tracking her posts to such an extent. Seems obsessive.
Okay.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:22 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
And it's clear that you just don't get that the guy popped his head into her office with a statement concerning having an appointment with someone else; her response pointing him in the direction of the other person's office was quite rational.
Yeah, I'm picturing it as a statement with that awful inflection at the end that turns a statement into a question, ugh.
At any rate no one just pops their head in to announce they are there for a meeting with someone, there had to have been an implied question with that statement. I agree that it's odd he didn't ask someone who had a closer office (though I totally get not asking the people in the cubicles, nobody expects the underling to keep up with the whereabouts of the 'VIPS'), but maybe they were out or had their doors closed.
Now I'm half tempted to take a CD poll and ask how many people let a co-worker know when they step away from their workspace for a bit, as opposed to those who just run out without a word to anyone else sharing the same space.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:10 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
I'd say you were rude to look blankly to a business visitor to your area.

You don't like your work environment, then talk to your boss about it and make suggestions to improve it. But don't be rude to people visiting with you looking blankly at them, I'd fire you for that. Because that gives a bad impression to others about what we do there. That person could actually be the new owner, and your poor attitude will be remembered.

She wasn't being rude. She said it's never happened before, and it caught her by surprise. She's not in the habit of interacting with strangers off the street, traisping through the whole suite, and finding her, tucked back from human interaction for the most part.

I'm pretty sure it'd catch you by surprise too.

OP, in a way, that's kind of scary, isn't it? The way I'm understanding your situation, apparently this person was able to wander kind of far before meeting up with a human (you) right?

But on the other hand, here was a visitor who apparently had to use his/her own devices to figure out where to go and what to do, since the person he was there to visit wasn't in her office. That's kind of a problem, right?

Do you all often get visitors? If so, seems like some kind of system should be put in place. Even if it's a little bell or something to alert everyone that a visitor is there...so someone can attend to the visitor.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:56 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
At any rate no one just pops their head in to announce they are there for a meeting with someone, ...

Now I'm half tempted to take a CD poll and ask how many people let a co-worker know when they step away from their workspace for a bit, as opposed to those who just run out without a word to anyone else sharing the same space.
Answer: if I'm going to the head, no. If I'm going to be somewhere outside the office, yes. So do others. Been that way in every office I've worked in for the last 40 years. Likewise people have always been popping their heads in looking for someone. In fact it's such a routine part of office life I'm stunned the OP was surprised someone would do it. I probably get half a dozen a day in my office alone. In fact just as I was typing this. You

Old 06-10-2019, 11:38 AM

1,246 posts, read 825,089 times
Everywhere I've ever worked with "private offices", the etiquette was simple: open door = available, closed door = do not disturb. Application of this principle should prevent similar issues in the future!

Side note.. one downside to the elimination of administrative positions as a cost savings measure is that these functions get picked up by other staff (who typically are paid more per hour equivalent than a receptionist).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment