U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 11:13 AM

888 posts, read 675,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
How do you explain the fact that the vast majority of Americans never make a 6-figure individual income in their entire lives?
I'm not sure how one is relevant to another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 01:47 PM

6,565 posts, read 8,094,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X7L9 View Post
These salaries that I see on Glassdoor are seriously frustrating me. People making 160k with barely 10 years of experience based on what's shown on LinkedIn.

I get that we should always be grateful for what we have, but these six figure incomes are seemingly impossible to obtain. Is there an element of luck or what? The only reason I'm where I am at is because of successful, relentless job hopping. Waited another year and can't get anyone to pay six figures.

I'm in corporate training and my comp is at 90k. I have 4 years of experience and about to finish my master's.
They are real and the formula for getting one is clear.

Take all the math and science you can get in school. Go to a State University majoring it EE or ChemE or the hardest engineering major they have and make top grades. The jobs and money will roll you way. Work 59 plus hours a week doing the tough job others won tackle. It's as simple as that. Takes some planning and alot if hard work.

Or be able to sell ice to an Eskimo.

Go for it.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:10 PM

17,226 posts, read 19,525,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
I'm not sure how one is relevant to another?
Your post utilized the word "easier."

It made me curious how you might explain this discrepancy.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:45 PM

3,247 posts, read 844,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X7L9 View Post
These salaries that I see on Glassdoor are seriously frustrating me. People making 160k with barely 10 years of experience based on what's shown on LinkedIn.

I get that we should always be grateful for what we have, but these six figure incomes are seemingly impossible to obtain. Is there an element of luck or what? The only reason I'm where I am at is because of successful, relentless job hopping. Waited another year and can't get anyone to pay six figures.

I'm in corporate training and my comp is at 90k. I have 4 years of experience and about to finish my master's.
Up, then over. Then up, then over.

You will never possess more bargaining potential than as an external candidate. Internal requisitions are promotions, and responding to external req's is for raises.

My company recently instituted a policy where you can receive a maximum of 10% increase for a promotion, so long as that number falls somewhere within the pay band.

So if you have an engineer hired at $70k, promoted twice, senior manager > director, he or she would stand to receive less than $90k in salary. But an external hire can max out the band at $160k. This is BEFORE cost-of-living adjustments.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:17 PM

7,375 posts, read 11,542,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
They are real and the formula for getting one is clear.

Take all the math and science you can get in school. Go to a State University majoring it EE or ChemE or the hardest engineering major they have and make top grades. The jobs and money will roll you way. Work 59 plus hours a week doing the tough job others won tackle. It's as simple as that. Takes some planning and alot if hard work.

Or be able to sell ice to an Eskimo.

Go for it.
That's a good formula for working your arse off to make others rich...

Old 06-12-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
That's a good formula for working your arse off to make others rich...
Depends on what you have at your disposal. The people "getting rich" off such work already HAVE industry connections so that they can bring in the business for all of those "unfortunate" W2 employees working for him to have those 59+ hour weeks.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:34 PM

7,375 posts, read 11,542,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Depends on what you have at your disposal. The people "getting rich" off such work already HAVE industry connections so that they can bring in the business for all of those "unfortunate" W2 employees working for him to have those 59+ hour weeks.
Correct...

Somebody gets it.

I can tell you that most of those people with connects didn't work 59 hour weeks or get good grades in school.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Correct...

Somebody gets it.

I can tell you that most of those people with connects didn't work 59 hour weeks or get good grades in school.
LOL! It tends to be that way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or