U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 06:08 AM

698 posts, read 187,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Oh, the hardships I could suffer with $8000 a month.
I ❤️ you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 07:23 AM

7,413 posts, read 11,579,662 times
If you want to make a lot of $, network early and network often.

And when you get to a certain age, either buy a company (with partners of course) or talk your way into a high paying, cushy managerial or business development job by getting hired by friends who own companies or are in high positions.

Then, you can get rich off of other people working their a@@ of FOR you.

Is anybody aware of the stress level of a job where they pay you 160K after 10 years of experience. Surely you must be if you are posting in this thread. Most 32-37 year olds would kill their own grandmother to take your place if you screw up on the job.

But I can tell you that a little later on in life, you can definitely have a very cushy job, making that ballpark salary, and doing relatively little, and it is very much a reality... as long as you don't have guilt with other people busting their balls to pay your salary.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:40 AM

17,312 posts, read 19,591,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
First, don't believe everything you read online!
^^This should be plastered about 10 times on everybody’s walls.

In addition to that, don’t think for one second that a six-figure income doesn’t come with with hardships and sacrifices. Your employer will squeeze every penny of that money out of you.

Chickens ——> home ——> roost, always

Old 06-11-2019, 09:22 AM

3,288 posts, read 5,067,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Yes, people seem to forget that the more you make the more you can save in your 401(K) cause the employer is matching your contribution. Also, the more you pay into Social Security, so when you retire your payment from that is larger. And because of a higher gross salary you can afford to buy a more expensive home in a good area which will have a total dollar appreciation value that is higher.

After having conversations with people about this over the years, it seems they don't do the math, they just have an emotional reaction. They take the worse case story they saw without all the facts to make themselves feel better about not going for it.
100%. Technically I took a cut in pay to come to Dallas. When I said I make 'more' here in Dallas, I really just meant base salary here. I lost out on a lot of bonuses and paid OT at my old company. But I am way happier with my work life balances. And those bonuses and paid OT aren't always guaranteed (in fact that company has been faltering in the years since I left and the bonuses have dried up).

I still make comfortable money but my quality of life feels much higher in than it did in SC.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:06 AM

889 posts, read 679,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
^^This should be plastered about 10 times on everybody’s walls.

In addition to that, don’t think for one second that a six-figure income doesn’t come with with hardships and sacrifices. Your employer will squeeze every penny of that money out of you.

Chickens ——> home ——> roost, always
Well when it compares to a low paying job sure, but I've personally found between my wife and I that the more we make at our jobs the easier they become. She ended up getting reports below her that do most of the heavy lifting that she doles out and now works from home, and for me my job description somewhat stayed the same but I'm getting paid twice as much. My biggest stress in life is my commute which I only do once a week anyway lol. Between her and I we are in the mid-300's in our 30's.

And yes a lot of that disappears before you even get a chance to touch it. Taxes are the big one, we pay more in taxes than our living expenses are. By at least 50% greater margin. Then there is 401ks, IRAs, company ESPP, etc. Our mortgage is around $85k, so that isn't really a factor and we own our cars and have never made car payments.

It was certainly way more work when I worked my first few jobs out of school for lower pay, and she making in the $30k-$60k range at entry level type jobs. You tend to take a lot more crap from those superior to you at your jobs. Now, not so much. Life is way better.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
Well when it compares to a low paying job sure, but I've personally found between my wife and I that the more we make at our jobs the easier they become. She ended up getting reports below her that do most of the heavy lifting that she doles out and now works from home, and for me my job description somewhat stayed the same but I'm getting paid twice as much. My biggest stress in life is my commute which I only do once a week anyway lol. Between her and I we are in the mid-300's in our 30's.
That's because somebody is working for your wife's salary, and it's not your wife.

You yourself admit that her suboordinates do most of the work.

It's also inefficient to have a company pay a person double for doing the same task. That's like having two guys that fix brakes and one gets paid $20 an hour and one guy gets paid $40 an hour.

But again, your situation is not unique at all, and where I work now, there's several people who are in the positions BOTH you are your wife are in. See if it lasts for them...

Old 06-11-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
That's because somebody is working for your wife's salary, and it's not your wife.

You yourself admit that her suboordinates do most of the work.

It's also inefficient to have a company pay a person double for doing the same task. That's like having two guys that fix brakes and one gets paid $20 an hour and one guy gets paid $40 an hour.

But again, your situation is not unique at all, and where I work now, there's several people who are in the positions BOTH you are your wife are in. See if it lasts for them...
It has nothing to do with duplicating effort - the ditch diggers doing the digging have always worked harder than the ones overseeing the operation. But without being told where to dig, all their efforts would be for naught.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
It has nothing to do with duplicating effort - the ditch diggers doing the digging have always worked harder than the ones overseeing the operation. But without being told where to dig, all their efforts would be for naught.
Hey.

I'll give you credit for admitting it.

Most people won't.

And you might be joking, but it's very much a reality. A lot of people make a lot of $ for not doing a whole lot...

Old 06-11-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Hey.

I'll give you credit for admitting it.

Most people won't.

And you might be joking, but it's very much a reality. A lot of people make a lot of $ for not doing a whole lot...
Well I'm not really admitting anything that people don't know.

The effective management of people and organization to stay focused on the big picture are skills many do not possess.

In the ditch digger example, operation of a shovel is fairly straight forward. Knowing how to read plans, comply with city building code and ordinances, and manage a crew is a much different job.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:50 PM

2,355 posts, read 1,085,446 times
I would also like more money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or