U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 08:16 AM

4,243 posts, read 2,083,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
. . . sounds like it isn't enough for you to just laugh and ignore it and move on. I'm guessing you want to make sure nobody else accepts this paltry salary, regardless of their desire and willingness to do so. Why is that?
Message boards like this were created to discuss various topics.

My point is that job postings like this are a red flag. Asking for so much and unabashedly offering so little. It speaks to the culture of the company.

What was it about the title of this thread that moved you to join in the conversation? Do you have a point to make, other than to accuse me of creating a thread to shame low-wage employees?

It wasn't enough for you to just laugh and ignore it and move on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 08:21 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 6 days ago)

9,443 posts, read 3,628,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Salaries and wages are in the process of being dumbed down at many companies. Yet more is expected from the employees at the same time. So labor costs go down for these companies. And yet plenty of desperate workers still keep applying. What a sweet deal for these companies!
I've run across employers who expect the person to do some free work, before offering them a job. This has become somewhat common across all industries. Sometimes it's in the form of "unpaid internships" or simply just a requirement to do 'X' number of hours free before starting on the payroll. Whether it's legal or not probably doesn't concern these employers.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I've seen job listings for office staff with a starting salary of $9/hr. Minimum wage in this state is currently at $10.10/hr. How can any company post an ad for a job starting below the state's minimum wage? Unbelievable!
There's a substantial number of exempt employers.

https://www.dllr.state.md.us/labor/w...ehrfacts.shtml

Minimum Wage and Overtime Exemptions:

Certain agricultural employees
Executives, administrative, and professional employees
Volunteers for educational, charitable, religious, and non-profit organizations
Employees under 16 working less than 20 hours per week
Outside salesman
Commissioned employees
Employees enrolled as a trainee as part of a public school special education program
Non-administrative employees of organized camps
Establishments selling food and drink for consumption on the premises grossing less than $400,000 annually
Drive-in theaters
Establishments engaged in the first canning, packing or freezing of fruits, vegetables, poultry, or seafood

FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO FILE A COMPLAINT, CONTACT:
Employment Standards Service
Maryland Department of Labor
1100 North Eutaw Street, Room 607
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
410-767-2357
E-mail address: dldliemploymentstandards-dllr@maryland.gov

Old 06-09-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I've run across employers who expect the person to do some free work, before offering them a job. This has become somewhat common across all industries. Sometimes it's in the form of "unpaid internships" or simply just a requirement to do 'X' number of hours free before starting on the payroll. Whether it's legal or not probably doesn't concern these employers.
Internships are a great way to gain extremely valuable experience, engage in networking, and get your foot in the door. It's a perfect system for the recent college graduate.

But for an experienced applicant it's outrageous.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:57 AM

1,854 posts, read 713,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Yes, that is discouraging. However, my point was that salaries and wages are being deliberately lowered and more work expected in return. Since there are still plenty of desperate takers for these kinds of jobs, it seems these employers are on the right track in saving some labor costs. Whether these kinds of professional and challenging jobs pay living wages is not the employers' problem. The fact that plenty of people are willing to work for that kind of money says it all.

And yes, doing free work before being added on the payroll makes it even worse. For the employees that is. For the employer, it is a great deal.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:15 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 6 days ago)

9,443 posts, read 3,628,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Internships are a great way to gain extremely valuable experience, engage in networking, and get your foot in the door. It's a perfect system for the recent college graduate.

But for an experienced applicant it's outrageous.
It's also outrageous in food service, cashier jobs,etc but it's hitting these jobs, too. A friend of mine allowed her teenaged daughter to do an "internship" waitressing at a local restaurant. She even had to buy her own uniform and worked for two weeks, while the employer paid her nothing. I also came across a transcription business recently that expects everyone to do a certain number of hours of free work, before taking them on as a worker. This problem is hitting all industries and occupations.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:41 AM

3,340 posts, read 3,042,920 times
I suppose that if people think the salary is too low then the firm won’t get anybody for the job. and Then perhaps they will rethink their salary.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:31 AM

2,052 posts, read 594,159 times
Good luck to them.

Native Spanish speaker with a Bachelor's degree willing to work in Milwaukee...

Old 06-09-2019, 12:31 PM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
Better to spend your time looking at postings in your salary range. Just filter. You won't see lower salaries.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Good luck to them.

Native Spanish speaker with a Bachelor's degree willing to work in Milwaukee.
Native Spanish is not mentioned in the job posting, and bilingual is listed as a preference, not a requirement.

Regardless--there are plenty of people in Milwaukee who speak Spanish and have a Bachelor's degree.

I suppose they'll find someone to take the job, maybe in the higher end of the range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or