U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 01:53 AM

237 posts, read 101,838 times

Advertisements

Hi all! So I've been an Lpn for 9 months and I love it. I make around 60k a year and in spite of living in Seattle I have a really good QOL here. I dont Want to Focus on that. I OriginaIly got into the the field because I needed a way to support myself and to use as a stepping stone into a commercial art career. I never intended to stay in this field forever. The thought of getting an RN seems like a huge chore and it seems ridiculous many places even outside of hospitals want a BSN and want you to have it all done in an ungodly amount of time.

I have been in home health most of my career and prefer it because of the autonomy, getting to relax the whole shift almost, low stress and lack of co workers. I am introverted so this works well for me. Sadly I've been bullied by coworkers and supervisors at my old job in the nursing home. I'm pretty sure it would be similar in the hospital.

I recently browsed around and I am finding many RN jobs here pay only $2-5 more from an RN to LPN. In some cases they paid Rns even less than what I currently make ($30/hr.). A BSN seems largely usesless outside of a hospital and the pay increase is only marginal. For the majority of the jobs here it's less than a $10 difference between RN and LPN.

I've looked into tech jobs and degree programs. I like the idea of working remotely which would allow me to travel and pursue my passions. However none seem open unless you have 3+ years of experience.

I have no issue with staying an LPN and I'd like to hopefully walk away from healthcare. I've gotten burnt out a few times. Fortunately I am working for a good family and the hours are excellent. I am having overall better mental health than I did working in the nursing facility. I have found a few online LPN to RN accredited programs. That would honestly be the only way I'd get an RN because I cannot afford to work anything less than full time and the costs of brick and mortar RN or even BSN programs are too much for me. I am also trying to pay of 25k I got in university (dumb reason) fortunately my income is more than those loans.

Right now the only thing I know to do is to keep working, save money and work on honing my drawing skills (I do want to be professional. Possibility a medical illustrator. Seens more feasible than being an animator at Pixar or Disney).

Should I still consider tech? What other decent paying remite jobs can I consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 09:26 AM

20,605 posts, read 16,652,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
Hi all! So I've been an Lpn for 9 months and I love it. I make around 60k a year and in spite of living in Seattle I have a really good QOL here. I dont Want to Focus on that. I OriginaIly got into the the field because I needed a way to support myself and to use as a stepping stone into a commercial art career. I never intended to stay in this field forever. The thought of getting an RN seems like a huge chore and it seems ridiculous many places even outside of hospitals want a BSN and want you to have it all done in an ungodly amount of time.

I have been in home health most of my career and prefer it because of the autonomy, getting to relax the whole shift almost, low stress and lack of co workers. I am introverted so this works well for me. Sadly I've been bullied by coworkers and supervisors at my old job in the nursing home. I'm pretty sure it would be similar in the hospital.

I recently browsed around and I am finding many RN jobs here pay only $2-5 more from an RN to LPN. In some cases they paid Rns even less than what I currently make ($30/hr.). A BSN seems largely usesless outside of a hospital and the pay increase is only marginal. For the majority of the jobs here it's less than a $10 difference between RN and LPN.

I've looked into tech jobs and degree programs. I like the idea of working remotely which would allow me to travel and pursue my passions. However none seem open unless you have 3+ years of experience.

I have no issue with staying an LPN and I'd like to hopefully walk away from healthcare. I've gotten burnt out a few times. Fortunately I am working for a good family and the hours are excellent. I am having overall better mental health than I did working in the nursing facility. I have found a few online LPN to RN accredited programs. That would honestly be the only way I'd get an RN because I cannot afford to work anything less than full time and the costs of brick and mortar RN or even BSN programs are too much for me. I am also trying to pay of 25k I got in university (dumb reason) fortunately my income is more than those loans.

Right now the only thing I know to do is to keep working, save money and work on honing my drawing skills (I do want to be professional. Possibility a medical illustrator. Seens more feasible than being an animator at Pixar or Disney).

Should I still consider tech? What other decent paying remote jobs can I consider?

There might be more opportunities in nursing than you are aware of. My niece is an LPN but she hasn't been a floor nurse since her second year out of CC. Instead she works as a trainer, she gives classes to new doctors and other employees on how to navigate the hospital's computer documentation system. She also troubleshoots when employees have issues with it, and she often does this remotely. Her hospital is paying for her to get her BSN online, but she's been doing this work for about 8 years now with only an LPN from a CC. . Even after the BSN though she is going to stay on the business side of it rather than direct care. Now her job teaching the new hire classes wouldn't be good for an introvert, but there are many opportunities aside from direct care in nursing.

I am not sure how in-demand medical illustrators are in the digital age, but not sure a degree in something like this is going to provide many opportunities. Yes, Disney would be almost impossible without a a 4-year degree and high technical skills (Disney animators need to be computer experts, animated movies are not hand drawn like it used to be). There are dozens of 4 year degree students who intern at Disney every year, they are the people who are going to get those jobs. In the digital age though I would be careful to look into job opportunities and I would assume any illustration job today is going to require excellent digital drawing and computer skills.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:33 AM

524 posts, read 626,722 times
I am not an RN so I can't fully comment on that, but have lots of experience bridging gap between medical and engineering field and published many papers with doctors on new systems for medical diagnosis and so on. In my opinion, do not go for anything tech though I am unclear what "tech" means to you. Many technical fields or "tech" oriented things are heavily in process of being devalued right now. I have seen 25,000 engineers all top notch tech people laid off in one company and re-employed outside US. So it depends. Just like the "medical" field could mean LPN, RN, PhD's, MD's, biomedical engineers, etc. So you would have to further define what "tech" means.

Some technical fields are more hours than RN with lots of hours for work and not much for other things in life.

Most tech is being deployed outside US more and more, or to the maximum these days. I worked with tons of people in very technical fields and other than a few physicists most make less money now than anytime I know because so many thousands are free and available. Top notch people, top of field, just laid off and jobs all moved overseas. If it can be done outside the US and product or software or whatever tech service or tech product brought back, and isn't yet being done, it will be soon enough and faster than most realize in most tech areas.

At least to me it seems like you are doing ok right now. But of course I do not know exactly.

Last edited by TestEngr; 06-09-2019 at 09:44 AM..

Old 06-11-2019, 09:09 AM

2,658 posts, read 1,553,315 times
Have you looked in to healthcare IT? You could work for a local health care system or go on the vendor side, like Epic, if willing to relocate.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:44 AM

5,035 posts, read 3,220,815 times
1. Pay off student loans
2. Find what genre excites you, the one where you'd draw morning to night if you got paid just a fair amount.
3. Keep working and have that passion for when you're off work.
4. Keep staying in healthcare, maybe radiologist?

Very, VERY few make $60K or more a year drawing or in artwork. I once got a set of four prints done by a famous southern artist. They were in a box of items I paid $10 for the box, these prints sold originally for $120 for the set....I paid about 10 cents....

This is why one should stay with the money and play during the off time....

Old 06-11-2019, 06:11 PM

7,388 posts, read 11,563,104 times
First, I'd like to comment on what you refer to as 'years and years'.

I think it's like 4 years to get a nursing degree tops, but I know that you can definitely get an accelerated degree in much lesser time.

4 years may seem like a lot when you're a young person, but it's not.

If it is a decision that puts you on the RIGHT path, it's nothing, a drop in the pan.

However, therein lies the problem. Is it the right path?

This is obviously just based on one post, but I would say go for the commercial art career if I were you. You can tell a lot from a person based on one post and you don't seem to be 1) greedy, $ hungry or 2) greedy, $ hungry.

If it doesn't work out in commercial art, because you like LPN, you can always come back to it.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:29 PM

2,451 posts, read 697,327 times
First, move away from Seattle. Whatever you're making, you'll make more money in a lower COL area.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:40 PM

579 posts, read 139,454 times
And take note of the health care "positions" wherever you choose to move to in the future. Where I live and go to the local hospitals, the LPN's no longer exist in the workforce. They use RN's and CNA's.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:43 AM

20,605 posts, read 16,652,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
And take note of the health care "positions" wherever you choose to move to in the future. Where I live and go to the local hospitals, the LPN's no longer exist in the workforce. They use RN's and CNA's.
In the nursing homes and ALFs I work in in New Jersey it’s almost all LPNs. One RN to several LPNs.

Regardless, I think OP is already an LPN.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:47 AM

5,035 posts, read 3,220,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
First, I'd like to comment on what you refer to as 'years and years'.

I think it's like 4 years to get a nursing degree tops, but I know that you can definitely get an accelerated degree in much lesser time.

4 years may seem like a lot when you're a young person, but it's not.
Just wanted to add that had someone sat me down years ago, I might not have dropped out of a study for a career...If you look at FOUR YEARS, you miss the small detail...."It's ONE DAY at a time"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or