U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 03:55 AM
bUU

11,891 posts, read 8,672,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
... doesn't swing well for me.
You may rest easier self-employed. The kind of things that don't swing well for you are going to steadily increase over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 02:01 PM

1,094 posts, read 630,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You are being paid for your time. Your assignment is to put some training onto a couple of new people. It's not like they expect you to come in on your day off and do it for free.
Yeah, that's a healthier way to look at things. The experience will be good. It's tough being so busy at the same time though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Of course it is the job of management to provide training and in this instance they are having the training provided to the new employees by the person most familiar with the job. This happens to be you. Why is this a problem? They're paying you to work there and training others is a legitimate job function.

Previous work experience and the ability to be resourceful are reasons to be hired, not reasons to shun assigned tasks. Just do your job.
What's my problem? You've asked a legitimate question, and some points I've already answered, but I'll be thorough.

- They've offered me no guide or structure despite the job being technical and complex.
- They haven't made clear what processes are going to apply to them. (One of them shall be a temp.)
- I'm concerned about being made responsible for the learning of others and its implications.
- I'm considered clever and resourceful, but maybe not exactly trainer material.
- Due to contractual politics, the "learning" is truly never-ending.

Well it's not like the company can choose anymore, I'm the only employee left anyway after everything that's happened. Who knows, maybe they'll last longer than several weeks this time.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:01 PM

6,996 posts, read 3,881,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
Yeah, that's a healthier way to look at things. The experience will be good. It's tough being so busy at the same time though.

What's my problem? You've asked a legitimate question, and some points I've already answered, but I'll be thorough.

- They've offered me no guide or structure despite the job being technical and complex.
- They haven't made clear what processes are going to apply to them. (One of them shall be a temp.)
- I'm concerned about being made responsible for the learning of others and its implications.
- I'm considered clever and resourceful, but maybe not exactly trainer material.
- Due to contractual politics, the "learning" is truly never-ending.

Well it's not like the company can choose anymore, I'm the only employee left anyway after everything that's happened. Who knows, maybe they'll last longer than several weeks this time.
That's what I said. What I did not say is "What's your problem?" I asked why was it a problem that you were designated to train them. You're the only one there who could possibly train them.

Guides and structures are great theoretical training aids but experience speaks much louder. Forget about what processes will apply to them; that's not your concern. No one is going to expect you to do anything other than demonstrate how you do what you do. Unless you work for Attila the Hun Industries no one is going to hold you responsible if these people screw things up unless you show them how to screw things up. Don't put so much pressure on yourself, and forget about the politics as well - you can't change it.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:47 AM

5,052 posts, read 3,225,732 times
Might say "Hey I "Might" be able to train them, BUT what exactly do you want them to learn from me? and how are we going to make sure they understand it and can pass the knowledge onto others if the need comes?"

Or you can just have them watch you and hope that management did not expect alot of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or