U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2019, 06:01 AM

1,746 posts, read 1,280,957 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been at the job for a little bit more than a month now and although I understand a new job requires a great degree of adjustment which may take from 3 to 6 months, I'm struggling a bit emotionally.

The culture is nothing like my former employer's. It's far healthier, more transparent and most of all, there's a great deal of trust and communication instilled between the management and their teams. The people are overall smart and interesting to talk to. Employees are treated like adults. The company itself gives one's CV huge credibility. If my former employer's culture was like this, I would have probably stayed 20 years there. Unfortunately the toxicity led me to leave after 3 years as I've explained many times on this board.

My new job is nothing like my former job, so I am also learning everything from scratch. It is basically an internal finance position at an accounting/consulting firm. My former position was a client-facing banking position which also allowed me to travel often. The difference was obviously not a surprise to me, but I thought I would settle in well. I thought I wouldn't see a problem in no longer interacting with clients and not traveling at all. I was clearly deluding myself.

I'm incredibly grateful for this job as it entailed a salary increase and a career progression, but I can't help but think about my former clients and how driven I was to get things done to get the kudos from a client. This new job seems so repetitive and menial next to my former job. I'm finding myself looking a the same excel spreadsheet all day, getting instructions from client-facing teams and doing systems amendments, then amend that same excel spreadsheet over and over again.

My former job had its flaws too and to be honest, I didn't picture myself being in it for 20 years. However, I severely underestimated how much I would miss client contact. People are often not passionate about baking or accounting, but looking back, I can safetly say I was passionate about my former job (not all aspects of it), but the environment made it difficult for me to stay. I was looking forward to Monday morning and going to work each day because of the work, but I hated walking into that actual office because the energy was off.

I'm now seeing myself as a mere back-office employee and it doesn't sit well with me. I'm trying to learn as much as I can as I know I can acquire skills that can be useful in other jobs, but my heart breaks a bit each day. I feel bad saying this because tons of people would want to work for this company, but for some reason, I feel as though a part of me is left dormant each time I go to work. I don't recognize myself in this job. I'm usually a dynamic go-getter and now I'm just more reserved, looking at the spreadsheet all day. Now, I'm not the most extroverted person on the planet (I'm actually a bit on the introverted side), but I loved dealing with clients for some reason. I give more importance to client feedbacks to internal feedbacks, because ultimately clients generate the company's revenue.

The sole fact of thinking about my daily tasks makes me cry when I get home. I miss my former clients and the adrenaline I had to get things done because I knew it would benefit a client. This new job is so sendentary, I'm getting depressed each day. I have no clue what came over me to quit my former job, but the envrionment got so dysfunctional that I needed to get away. People were also leaving left and right, only the managers remained. From a job standpoint, I severely regret my choice. From an envrionment standpoint, I don't.

I also notice a difference in the initial stages. When I started my former job, I liked it from the get go and wanted to learn more each day. I'm not clicking with this new job like this at all despite trying every day to pep talk myself into the same mindset as I had with my former job.

I'm trying to make the best of out this situation by networking and learning skills that could be used in other jobs and possible charities I could get involved in. However, current job is a dead end too. They're also changing the role in October, which will turn my finance position into an IT position to help client-facing teams to use an internal tool. I'll basically be a ticket handler. This is not the career trajectory I want to take at all. At least this last aspect will give me a proper rationale when explaining to prospective employers why I want to leave so soon.

How should I approach this?

Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 10:47 AM

2,719 posts, read 4,400,498 times
It is buyers remorse. Give it few months and see if you feel the same way as you do now. It is human until you are in control, the feelings to go back to a system you know in and out.

Best

Old 06-09-2019, 10:58 AM

11,122 posts, read 8,531,120 times
OP, pull yourself together. Chill out, investigate what client facing, traveling jobs are available in your company, and begin planning an internal move while you wait out your first year in your current role. Start to network internally.

It's okay to want a different job. Just be smart in how you make the transition. A mature adult should be able to stick out a year when you know the prize at the end is a role more to your liking.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:39 AM

6,839 posts, read 3,713,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
OP, pull yourself together. Chill out, investigate what client facing, traveling jobs are available in your company, and begin planning an internal move while you wait out your first year in your current role. Start to network internally.

It's okay to want a different job. Just be smart in how you make the transition. A mature adult should be able to stick out a year when you know the prize at the end is a role more to your liking.
This is a good answer. Take the time to thoroughly learn your current job and then you know both sides of the house, making you more promotable to higher level positions either in your current company or another.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:02 PM

1,746 posts, read 1,280,957 times
I think the ultimate key is to perform well in order to leave a good image of myself whether I move internally or externally.

Ultimately, I don't seem to feel the connection to the company. When I compare to my former jobs and more specifically my last one where I lasted three years, I don't feel the click with the company for some reason. Something within me keeps me detached.

In all fairness, a year sounds like a million years away to me at this stage. I'm afraid of the impact of a full year in this job on my mental health. I'm already crying every night after work and during my lunch breaks. This is not a normal reaction and it is one I've never experienced even when I started my last job which was quite rough in the beginning.

I never though the shift from corporate and investment banking to accounting/consulting would be so harsh on me. Sadly, it is a reality I cannot deny.

This job will undeniably enhance my CV with financial skills I could have never acquired in my former job, but the trade off was too much in the end.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:36 PM

6,261 posts, read 3,456,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
I think the ultimate key is to perform well in order to leave a good image of myself whether I move internally or externally.

Ultimately, I don't seem to feel the connection to the company. When I compare to my former jobs and more specifically my last one where I lasted three years, I don't feel the click with the company for some reason. Something within me keeps me detached.

In all fairness, a year sounds like a million years away to me at this stage. I'm afraid of the impact of a full year in this job on my mental health. I'm already crying every night after work and during my lunch breaks. This is not a normal reaction and it is one I've never experienced even when I started my last job which was quite rough in the beginning.

I never though the shift from corporate and investment banking to accounting/consulting would be so harsh on me. Sadly, it is a reality I cannot deny.

This job will undeniably enhance my CV with financial skills I could have never acquired in my former job, but the trade off was too much in the end.
So while you say the “culture” is better ultimately it’s not for you. Culture is not just about how well they treat people...

Old 06-10-2019, 08:54 PM

23,567 posts, read 17,544,804 times
At that point, "culture" is whatever they want you to perceive. You need to try and parse the situation as best you can. A better "culture" on paper could have other factors that lead from the frying pan to Hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or