U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 05:26 AM

3,033 posts, read 2,193,522 times

Advertisements

Not like that, but here the wrong person gets thanked, or someone else takes credit for something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 06:23 AM

690 posts, read 251,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
Does anyone else have this at work, where everyone (including managers) huddles to give thanks to someone that helped them during a period of time? It can be daily, weekly, or monthly but for us, it's weekly. We go around and everyone is required to say thanks to someone on the team or someone outside the team. After it's complete, someone sends an email to everyone on the team and includes those who were thanked outside the team noting what was said.

It wasn't bad the first week but after several months of this, I'm over it. How does it make someone feel if they never get thanked by anyone? What if you went above and beyond but are never recognized, what does it do to your morale? I've been thanked so it's not about me, but it bothers me when someone never does despite doing so much for others.

Maybe the intent of something like this is good, to recognize those who have helped you, but there are also drawbacks that can affect someone's psyche.

Would like to hear how others have dealt with this type of recognition program at work.
No. Not at my workplace. Thank goodness.

That's a waste of time everyday. It sounds weird. It's like a gong show. I think many people may have to pretend to smile and do whatever they are told to do, and say "hey, this is cool, this is fun, this is great thing to do" to make the management feel good; but inside, they hate it. Some managers just have to think of anything, even weird and stupid thing, to do, so they can have something to do; otherwise, they have nothing to do, they are not busy enough. And they want to make employees busier and busier. They want to drive employees crazy, for fun, so they can laugh.

I believe lots of people don't want to be forced to do that. They prefer to say thank on their own time to whoever help them. Many people want to help others, and they don't need or want the whole world to know. Many people want to show off; many others don't.

I always said thank to those who helped me right at the moment they helped. Inside my heart, I really am thankful and grateful for those co-workers and managers who helped me. And I always liked to help others when I can, and others thanked me too.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:42 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 20 days ago)

10,487 posts, read 14,320,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'd rather the boss give a general good job to everyone as a team instead of this sort of thing.
Nah, our company does that and I hate it. You can tell it was a directive given to the managers, to thank employees at the end of their shift for 'the job they do'. It's utterly meaningless, it's much nicer to actually be recognized for a specific act, even if it's just a small act, at least you know the boss is actually paying attention to what you do as an individual.
This group get together for publicly thanking each other sounds just as meaningless. I'd rather go without a thank you than to get something so insincere as a forced thanks. Does that mean nobody thanks someone at the time they actually do something above and beyond, they want to save it for the mandatory public thanks, or do they wind up thanking the same people twice, privately and publicly? Verrrry odd.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:54 AM

3,905 posts, read 3,584,424 times
Quote:

Would like to hear how others have dealt with this type of recognition program at work.

Sounds like you have a lot of female, low-wage, low-skill workers in your department. I'm sure management sees to it that the "thanks" are given out evenly, which makes it worthless.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:45 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,018,387 times
at one place I worked, we were forced to "spotlight" someone our manager picked at our weekly staff meetings. We went around the room and all of us were to say something nice that that person did for us recently. The manager rotated around the group so everyone was eventually "spotlighted".

Even if you hadn't even remotely worked with that person, you had to come up with something. I eventually had to start coming up with things like: "the coffee area is always clean when they're done.", etc. Very cringeworthy and painful.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:21 PM

12,249 posts, read 17,999,094 times
At my work, we huddle every single day Monday through Friday. We role play with each other how to treat our patients correctly. We address the same things over and over again. Then we also have monthly staff meetings. It's just too much. I think it makes the management feel important or something.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:32 PM

6,584 posts, read 2,373,498 times
Quote:
Does anyone else have this at work, where everyone (including managers) huddles to give thanks to someone that helped them during a period of time? It can be daily, weekly, or monthly but for us, it's weekly. We go around and everyone is required to say thanks to someone on the team or someone outside the team. After it's complete, someone sends an email to everyone on the team and includes those who were thanked outside the team noting what was said.

It wasn't bad the first week but after several months of this, I'm over it. How does it make someone feel if they never get thanked by anyone? What if you went above and beyond but are never recognized, what does it do to your morale? I've been thanked so it's not about me, but it bothers me when someone never does despite doing so much for others.

Maybe the intent of something like this is good, to recognize those who have helped you, but there are also drawbacks that can affect someone's psyche.

I work for a Fortune 500 company, so that fact might need to be taken into consideration.

Our company has 'partnered' (I don't know what else to call it) with a company that actually rewards us, if we get enough points.

All employees start out with reward points to give, and I believe they're assigned every quarter. So, say someone I work with went above and beyond to do me a solid. I can reward them with a set amount of points. Those points are redeemable for real stuff including gift cards, jewelry, electronics, etc. The person redeeming their points has to pay the tax on what that item would've cost...but that's it.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:44 PM

30,041 posts, read 16,607,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Do you also have Airing of Grievances?

Perhaps you can make that suggestion and move ahead of your peers by thinking outside the box.
OMG - can you imagine?

Fortune 500 would be a lot better place if we all did this. LOL.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:52 PM

23,581 posts, read 17,567,761 times
My reply signature is

"Thanks,
SC"

I don't mean it and don't really care. We aren't required to do any of that. It just helps me fit in.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:58 PM

3,583 posts, read 1,711,550 times
To the OP ... no, we never had anything like that.

Sounds like the manager who instituted the practice had attended some sort of feel-good management training program. Many of the attendees come back from such a course with some bizarre ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or