Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 12:54 PM

507 posts, read 455,366 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else have this at work, where everyone (including managers) huddles to give thanks to someone that helped them during a period of time? It can be daily, weekly, or monthly but for us, it's weekly. We go around and everyone is required to say thanks to someone on the team or someone outside the team. After it's complete, someone sends an email to everyone on the team and includes those who were thanked outside the team noting what was said.

It wasn't bad the first week but after several months of this, I'm over it. How does it make someone feel if they never get thanked by anyone? What if you went above and beyond but are never recognized, what does it do to your morale? I've been thanked so it's not about me, but it bothers me when someone never does despite doing so much for others.

Maybe the intent of something like this is good, to recognize those who have helped you, but there are also drawbacks that can affect someone's psyche.

Would like to hear how others have dealt with this type of recognition program at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 12:59 PM

12,615 posts, read 8,839,213 times
Worked in a couple of places that did something similar. One used a "thanks board" where you could write an anonymous note thanking someone for something they did. The idea behind it is good, trying to get people to think and work as a team. But the forced nature of it does get old. If the team culture is good, the thanks will come naturally. But at least it shows that management is trying to have a good culture.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:59 PM

29,433 posts, read 22,344,718 times
Never worked anywhere it was forced thankfully.

I suppose the intent is good natured, but the forced aspect of it is off putting and in fact contradicts the true spirit of such things.

I'd rather the boss give a general good job to everyone as a team instead of this sort of thing.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:01 PM

135 posts, read 88,700 times
No, thankfully this crap has never been forced on me at a job.

Huddling? Please tell me you aren't talking about group hugs. If that isn't the case, don't mention group hugs at work, or that will become the next requirement.

Are you working with adults?

Old 06-09-2019, 03:35 PM

507 posts, read 455,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
No, thankfully this crap has never been forced on me at a job.

Huddling? Please tell me you aren't talking about group hugs. If that isn't the case, don't mention group hugs at work, or that will become the next requirement.

Are you working with adults?

No, I don't mean huddles as in hugging. We all gather in one area of the office and go around the room, one at a time, giving thanks to whoever we chose. I hate it because I prefer to thank those who help me at that time, not wait until the end of the week and thank them in front of a team of 15 people.

It should be volunteer, any time of the year, not on a specific day where you are scrambling to come up with a name and task.

It sounds like most, if not all, agree with me that it's not a good idea overall. So, what do you do to change that? Anonymous feedback? Are there any stats online that show the negative results of this type of requirement from employees?

Old 06-09-2019, 03:38 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,741,663 times
I'm often thanked by co-workers but never for one of these board or awards. I just do my job.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:40 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,965,062 times
Never heard of this. Sounds very weird.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:58 PM

9,283 posts, read 8,192,979 times
No! And thank goodness not!

I would surely find an excuse each and every week to get out of that forced nonsense. But if I couldn't get out of it, I'd make a habit of thanking my manager or his/her manager.....whomever is responsible for nominating me for promotions and/or raises.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:36 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,919,865 times
"Would like to hear how others have dealt with this type of recognition program at work."
wait it out.
it will go away.
went through something similar
with Procter&Gamble and then
Warner Lambert.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:12 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,419,494 times
Do you also have Airing of Grievances?

Perhaps you can make that suggestion and move ahead of your peers by thinking outside the box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment