U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 09:51 AM

4,068 posts, read 2,936,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
IMO, the Federal government shouldn’t be dictating to a business how much vacation time they offer their employees. Let the marketplace decide. If a business loses enough employees or has enough people declining job offers due to lack of paid vacation, then the business will wise up and start offering it.
That works in theory; however, if you have one large employer out in the sticks (think: coal mine or large Wal-Mart in Bumville, AK) then people don't necessarily have the luxury of quitting and finding employment elsewhere so easily.

Vacation policies in the US are generally atrocious. The Euro model works well and is something we should emulate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 10:22 AM

12,259 posts, read 18,393,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
But then the article says that 90 percent of American workers get paid vacation and holiday time. Every private company I have ever worked for, the past two decades, gave the workers paid vacation and holiday time. So what's the problem? Not guaranteeing something on paper doesn't mean it isn't going to happen.

Sure, only 40% of part timers may get such benefits, but they are part timers, not full time.

I currently get two weeks of paid time off, but that goes up after you serve a number of years, to an eventual max of five weeks. We also get paid holidays even if we don't work that day, and every year we also get the last week of December off, paid, as a company wide freebie holiday.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-pa...162316534.html
You see the dichotomy in statistics, you can change the rules of statistics to fit your argument. In this case - statistic includes part time workers, maybe they only work 1 day a week, maybe they only started a month ago. Not a fake statistics, it's just a misleading calculation, and portrayed in a way to create fake news.

Although not protected by law, 90% of private sector workers get paid time off in the US as you said, with the average being 16 paid days vacation and holiday a year. Not at European standards but hardly as described by the other statistic. You work for one of the few employees that don't pay for vacation? Solution is easy - find another job. As for me, I get some 5 weeks of vacation a year and an additonal 11 holidays. How did I get this? I paid my dues and made the correct life choices.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:41 AM

172 posts, read 70,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
It’s why we need strong unions back that will come to the table with sociopathic employers and demand a much better vacation deal. Employers have all the power these days and power corrupts. There needs to be some checks balances again. There is none
Yes, we have them here where I live. The state is nearly bankrupt, the taxes are 2nd highest in the nation and people are leaving in droves. Property tax values are sliding.
But the union reps are retiring rich.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:49 AM

888 posts, read 675,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
Yes, we have them here where I live. The state is nearly bankrupt, the taxes are 2nd highest in the nation and people are leaving in droves. Property tax values are sliding.
But the union reps are retiring rich.
There's a huge difference in public and private employee unions. Public unions should be outlawed at the federal level.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:11 AM

172 posts, read 70,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
There's a huge difference in public and private employee unions. Public unions should be outlawed at the federal level.
30 years ago I've worked at a now defunct supermarket with a private employee union. They did ZERO to help me when I was getting laid off. Anything and everything I had as a concern was dismissed because of some ridiculous rule they had, such as
I was a few days shy of being eligible to be represented by the union
My hours were a few short of the necessary load that allowed representation by the union
and so on...
Union deductions were however religiously being taken out of my paycheck.
No, I don't trust them one bit.
I firmly believe they only look out for their own interest and the interest of a selected few.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:33 AM

6,838 posts, read 3,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
So negotiate for more vacation time when applying for jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
IMO, the Federal government shouldn’t be dictating to a business how much vacation time they offer their employees. Let the marketplace decide. If a business loses enough employees or has enough people declining job offers due to lack of paid vacation, then the business will wise up and start offering it.
The problem is these market philosophies only work when there is sufficient real competition in the market. With the growth of mega corps led by a finance class insulated from their decisions, the classic market rules no longer work.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:43 AM

4,068 posts, read 2,936,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The problem is these market philosophies only work when there is sufficient real competition in the market. With the growth of mega corps led by a finance class insulated from their decisions, the classic market rules no longer work.
Yes, this basically echos my post earlier.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:12 PM

10,769 posts, read 13,666,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'm given like 6+ weeks vacation per year but I never enjoy because I'm so stressed by the work piling up while I'm out that it drives me insane. I'm guessing this happens a lot in the USA.
Exactly my situation.

I have no backup with my company, so a week off just means I have to take my lap top to put out fires, and a bunch of extra hours the week after I get back having to catch up.

I haven't been truly disconnected from my job for more than 2 days in about 3 years. I get this for VP's and above..but I'm not a VP. So I end up having like 30 days of accrued vaca time I may never take.

So when I'm thinking about a new job, I can't let the 4 weeks of vac distract me when I don't really get that time anyway. An actual solid disconnected 3 weeks would actually be a big improvement in the benefit.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:14 PM

10,769 posts, read 13,666,847 times
Quote:
This is what the "rich dad/poor dad" economics 101 types just can't get through their thick skulls.

Their theoretical banana stand model doesn't make sense in the real world, yet they think everyone else who says it is too simplistic are the stupid ones.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:44 PM

8,929 posts, read 8,394,310 times
Quote:
So true. Like it or not, our economy is somewhat regulated, with the requirement that companies follow environmental, taxation, safety and other regulations. Having a federally mandated leave law would ensure a level playing field for all companies, rather than a race to the bottom.

I know a segment of posters on this forum are all in favor of corporate rights, but we live in a country of people, and I think it reasonable to have laws that protect people’s rights too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment