U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 01:55 PM

1,769 posts, read 570,529 times

Advertisements

It almost sounds to me like the recruiter might have made a serious mistake and doesn’t want to deal with it. Best of luck to the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 10:21 PM

2,451 posts, read 697,327 times
Take a long lunch break and head down to the company that is hiring you, and talk to someone there in person.

Like yesterday.

Get everything confirmed.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:29 AM

4,086 posts, read 2,951,711 times
You've probably done this but check your Spam folder to ensure his/her emails aren't going there. Maybe you missed some communications via email from them.

Yes, I would be very concerned. At this point I would keep on the phones and if they aren't answering leave very strongly worded messages (yet professional) stating that you have given notice already and you have yet to hear back from this organization and you are concerned and ask them to please contact you ASAP to ensure Monday is still a go.

Otherwise, just pull a George Costanza and show up on Monday. Seriously, I would...I would bring the recruiter's email.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:38 AM

1,311 posts, read 729,657 times
I know it's too late but I learned to not give my notice until I get, in writing, that everything passed and the new job is 100% mine.

2 positions ago, I received the written job offer "pending background and drug test". I have no issues with my background and do not do drugs so I gave my notice. A few days before starting the new position, the hiring manager called me and said "we are having a problem with your background report". Long story short, when they requested the background report they mis-keyed one number of my social so I was coming back "not found". They got it straightened out and I started a day later but it was eye opening to see that a clerical error could have really screwed me up. Then of course your mind wanders...what if a clerical error put someone else's results on my report? So now I accept the offer and wait until they tell me everything has come back as expected.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:50 AM

6,854 posts, read 11,125,737 times
Do people get job offers thorough a recruiter with no interview with the company required? Sounds odd to me.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:26 AM

3,764 posts, read 3,505,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicahgoChicahgo View Post
Two weeks ago today, a recruiter at a company that offered me a position gave me the clear to go ahead and give two weeks notice after completing a background check. I gave notice and today is my last day. I gave a start date of next Monday. Since that email from him though saying I would be receiving instructions, etc. about starting, it has been dead silence. I emailed the recruiter yesterday to make sure I hadn't missed anything. I even emailed my new manager since I have her email address. Nothing.

I called the recruiter today, but he's not answering his phone. I didn't leave a message. I then called an associate of his to see if he was out and if she could find out anything about my start date. She couldn't find anything and said she would look for him and have him get back to me. Nothing.

I realize people are busy, but I'm getting the feeling I'm being ignored for a reason. Yesterday was the first time I tried to contact anyone because I figured they would just get me the details this week. So it's not like I've been inundating them with emails or calls.

Have you ever had a company go silent like this? Does this mean after today I'm completely screwed and won't have a job...even though they made the offer, I accepted the offer, I passed the background check, AND was given the go ahead to give two weeks notice?

And no, if I can't get anyone to respond, I'm not going in on Monday like George Costanza and asking where my office is.
There's a 75% chance that you've been ghosted. You should probably go to your previous employer, hat in hand, and humbly beg them to take you back. If you were a good employee, and they're not in the midst of downsizing, they'll probably do it. It costs a lot of money to recruit and train a new person. But they'll probably not trust you very much from now on. Just work twice as hard as before and win their trust back eventually.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:34 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,162,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicahgoChicahgo View Post
This is a big, reputable company. I did not pay any fees. Yes, I did get an offer letter in writing, and the go ahead by email.
Then show up on your first day of work.

You obviously have a problem in that you accepted a job with an entity that has huge communications and respect issues. I wouldn't be too thrilled about that. And you might show up to an "Ehhh... errr... you see, there's been a mistake..." in which case you make it clear your first stop is going to be to an attorney. But there's nothing else you can do. There's only so much calling them you can do, and there isn't anything you can do to force them to reply, and your attempts to force a reply could be interpreted as hostility.

I might leave one more message, "I'm confirming that I'll be there on my first date, if anything comes up call me, I'm really excited to get started!" And then leave it, and just show up.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:03 PM

1,311 posts, read 729,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Then show up on your first day of work.
Or show up at the recruiter's office and ask to speak to the recruiter or their manager.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:38 PM

47 posts, read 12,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
In your position, I would feel nervous, too. But you have the offer letter and the email, so maybe they are still trying to line things up for your arrival before they get back to you.

If you don't hear anything before Monday (which would be weird, imo), I absolutely would show up at the front door on my first day. Better to show up and be sent home than to have them call you mid-morning asking where you are.

I agree with this 100%. If you have an offer letter and an e-mail confirming a start date, I would show up at the office with several copies of each, and start asking questions and handing them out.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:35 AM

4,086 posts, read 2,951,711 times
OP - any updates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or