U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 10:17 AM

63 posts, read 32,564 times

Advertisements

Two weeks ago today, a recruiter at a company that offered me a position gave me the clear to go ahead and give two weeks notice after completing a background check. I gave notice and today is my last day. I gave a start date of next Monday. Since that email from him though saying I would be receiving instructions, etc. about starting, it has been dead silence. I emailed the recruiter yesterday to make sure I hadn't missed anything. I even emailed my new manager since I have her email address. Nothing.

I called the recruiter today, but he's not answering his phone. I didn't leave a message. I then called an associate of his to see if he was out and if she could find out anything about my start date. She couldn't find anything and said she would look for him and have him get back to me. Nothing.

I realize people are busy, but I'm getting the feeling I'm being ignored for a reason. Yesterday was the first time I tried to contact anyone because I figured they would just get me the details this week. So it's not like I've been inundating them with emails or calls.

Have you ever had a company go silent like this? Does this mean after today I'm completely screwed and won't have a job...even though they made the offer, I accepted the offer, I passed the background check, AND was given the go ahead to give two weeks notice?

And no, if I can't get anyone to respond, I'm not going in on Monday like George Costanza and asking where my office is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 10:22 AM

597 posts, read 200,314 times
Did you get anything in writing?

Old 06-12-2019, 10:24 AM

1,762 posts, read 561,837 times
Did you pay any fees to this recruiter?

Old 06-12-2019, 10:34 AM

63 posts, read 32,564 times
This is a big, reputable company. I did not pay any fees. Yes, I did get an offer letter in writing, and the go ahead by email.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,743 posts, read 54,373,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Did you get anything in writing?
I would never recommend giving notice without an offer and start date in writing, or at least email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Did you pay any fees to this recruiter?
In other words, was this was a recruiter from HR at the company (good) or an independent recruiter that has no actual hiring authority (bad).

Yes, I would be concerned until you get the "instructions, etc. about starting". You gave the start date, not them. I hope for your sake this is just a case of people being busy and/or taking days off and they get back to you today or tomorrow.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:39 AM

1,541 posts, read 399,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicahgoChicahgo View Post
This is a big, reputable company. I did not pay any fees. Yes, I did get an offer letter in writing, and the go ahead by email.
This does sound unfortunate and you have every reason to be concerned. If you can phone the new manager, you should do that. I would also contact HR to speak to someone in upper management there. Your inquiry is legit.

When you say recruiter, you are talking about HR for this big company, correct? You aren't talking about a headhunter who works on commission from the employer?

Does your offer letter have a start date?

Old 06-12-2019, 10:45 AM

28,482 posts, read 62,084,629 times
Quote:
Two weeks ago today, a recruiter at a company that offered me a position
gave me the clear to go ahead and give two weeks notice after completing a background check.
So... was the BG check completed?
Did you give notice without the 'go ahead'?
Did you ever meet anyone IN PERSON... recruiter or employer?

This last is probably the real object lesson here: Too many see afraid to face to face with anyone
and seem willing to accept just about any line that allows them to remain in their cocoon.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:15 PM

597 posts, read 200,314 times
In your position, I would feel nervous, too. But you have the offer letter and the email, so maybe they are still trying to line things up for your arrival before they get back to you.

If you don't hear anything before Monday (which would be weird, imo), I absolutely would show up at the front door on my first day. Better to show up and be sent home than to have them call you mid-morning asking where you are.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:40 PM

1,579 posts, read 1,545,035 times
I'm sorry OP, I would be extremely concerned and worried. Personally, for me to give my two weeks notice at my job, I would need an email, or letter via mail/FedEx welcoming me as a new hire, with salary, and a start date along with address of where to report to, and the name of my supervisor. If you review your paperwork and see a notation 'upon successful completion of BG check', there may be a hiccup with a BG/drug test.

You should call on the hour, every hour until someone tells you something concrete.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:49 PM

4,339 posts, read 7,982,576 times
Quote:
If you got the offer, you should have heard from the hiring manager, not just the recruiter. I would follow-up with him/her as well. If you are starting Monday, you should have also heard from the onboarding folks about where to show up and first-day logistics.

Having an offer letter would take some of my concern away. But not hearing for the recruiter would definitely make me follow-up with my new manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or