U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 02:29 PM

9,662 posts, read 4,558,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
This is just for the driving part, right? You're getting a good salary besides this paltry driving reimbursement, correct?

You're wearing out your car here. How long is a car that's driven 40,000+ miles per year going to last? For this much driving, they should be providing the vehicle. You're essentially paying them for the privilege of driving around for them, unless you're making so much in salary that it doesn't really matter that every few years you have to have a new car. And I have difficulty believing that's the case.

No, he's *paying* for his car here. His mileage reimbursement is $16K per year. In two years, he will likely have completely paid for a new car and all insurance, maintenance, and licensing. His personal out-of-pocket cost to own that vehicle will be zero, something many of us would love to have.

On the other hand, if the company provides the car it may comes with restrictions on personal use, which might leave him having to foot 100% of the costs to own and maintain a personal vehicle. Sometimes you have to look at what you don't have to pay for as well as what you get paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 03:53 PM

47 posts, read 12,625 times
When I used to drive my car for work, I got paid the Federal rate. I had to keep a log book showing start/stop times, destinations, and mileage.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:13 PM

452 posts, read 755,451 times
Not sure. I'm going to be taking a defensive driving course due to working for local gov. job and to be able to drive gov. vehicles soon. The city where I live will pay for it.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:53 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,143,219 times
I get reimbursed the federal rate for mileage, 58 cents. I also get my tolls and parking reimbursed. I go from NYC to Philadelphia every other week. 220 miles round trip, and the gas, which is covered by the mileage reimbursement, costs me about $32. It's been adding up to some nice bonus money. Long days but I don't mind so much.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:02 PM

3,559 posts, read 1,368,509 times
mine averages out to ~40 cents per mile.
we get paid $1 per mile after the first 60.
we get nothing if it is under 60 roundtrip.

we also have the option for 100% gas
by forfeiting the mileage credit.
we use a company credit card,
and the mileage is a double-check
against fraud.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:59 PM

818 posts, read 1,540,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
This is just for the driving part, right? You're getting a good salary besides this paltry driving reimbursement, correct?

You're wearing out your car here. How long is a car that's driven 40,000+ miles per year going to last? For this much driving, they should be providing the vehicle. You're essentially paying them for the privilege of driving around for them, unless you're making so much in salary that it doesn't really matter that every few years you have to have a new car. And I have difficulty believing that's the case.
Yes, I get paid an hourly wage in addition to the mileage reimbursement. As the example I gave earlier, I paid $7k
for my truck and that was about 5 years ago. Since then I've been paid about $30k for driving reimbursement not including my regular salary and not money for gas.

So the $30k has been for insurance, depreciation, oil, tires and any other repairs. How much longer will this vehicle last? That's an experiment in progress.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:16 PM

6,573 posts, read 1,355,446 times
Am I understanding this correctly? Some ordinary, working-for-a-paycheck employees get extra 'pay' for driving to work?

Both my husband and I have had a variety of jobs, from grunt to management, and the only time one of us -- my husband -- got any kind of additional "pay" for commuting was a free light rail pass, if he chose that method of commuting. (He did.)

I think if anyone gets anything extra for driving to work, they are very fortunate, unless they are paid a pittance in actual wages or salary.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:17 AM

9,662 posts, read 4,558,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Am I understanding this correctly? Some ordinary, working-for-a-paycheck employees get extra 'pay' for driving to work?

Both my husband and I have had a variety of jobs, from grunt to management, and the only time one of us -- my husband -- got any kind of additional "pay" for commuting was a free light rail pass, if he chose that method of commuting. (He did.)

I think if anyone gets anything extra for driving to work, they are very fortunate, unless they are paid a pittance in actual wages or salary.

I don't know anyone getting reimbursed for driving *to* work as part of their daily commute, unless it's directly to a site other than the employer's location, such as a client site or job site.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:41 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,143,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I don't know anyone getting reimbursed for driving *to* work as part of their daily commute, unless it's directly to a site other than the employer's location, such as a client site or job site.
Yes, I only get mileage reimbursement for driving to a location other than my standard work site. I take public transit to work, but if I drove, I would not get any reimbursement for that. However, when I work out of our Philadelphia office, I am technically traveling for work.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:34 AM

9,611 posts, read 10,329,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

Not for driving *to* work, but any travel for work related reasons in your personal car.

For instance, travel is not something I typically do and I have a office that I commute to every day that I am paid to be at. If I go to any other location or office site, I am technically traveling. Now, say there is a vendor that is 200 miles away that I want to visit. I can hop in my car and drive out there, do my visit, and drive home. I'll then submit an expense report for things like my meals, hotel room (if needed), tolls, and then put in the 400 miles I drove to the vendor at 58 cents/mile and submit my report and be reimbursed $232 for the driving alone.

Part of the policy excludes the miles I would typically drive to my office. Lets say I live 10 miles from work, and the vendor I want to visit is 10 miles in the opposite direction. I wake up, drive to the vendor, and then drive home. I can't expense that 20 miles because it's the same 20 miles I would have driven had I gone into the office anyway. If the vendor was 10 miles PAST my office, then I could expense the distance from my office to the vendor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or