U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 09:29 AM

2,355 posts, read 1,084,654 times

Advertisements

I suggest you take the job. Once you're in you can get experience and move around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 10:31 AM

77 posts, read 42,833 times
You should listen to your gut. I rescinded an acceptance offer when I got a counter from a different agency that I hadn’t even applied to…word of mouth. It didn’t hurt me at all, in fact, the agency whose offer I rejected kept sending me other positions available but, they couldn’t match what I was making at the agency I went with.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:42 AM

8,157 posts, read 8,646,984 times
A civil service job with New York State? Take the job. You can always leave for private industry later.

My parents kept nagging me to take a civil service test. If you watch clips of old routines from comics from years ago, they incorporated this in their routine. Did I listen? No! Do I regret it? Yes!!!!

Old 06-13-2019, 11:50 AM

2,078 posts, read 606,160 times
Take the civil service job. You are not getting any younger.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:14 PM

10,071 posts, read 4,685,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Take the civil service job. You are not getting any younger.
What, growing old at a job you hate is a better alternative?

Old 06-13-2019, 12:19 PM

3,995 posts, read 1,713,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
What, growing old at a job you hate is a better alternative?
The OP hasnít even started the job. Most people donít stay in the same initial civil service job and move up or into other positions after they are there a while. A lot of states/systems have aging populations, so there will be a lot of room for growth in upcoming years.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:19 PM

47 posts, read 13,152 times
Withdraw your acceptance of a civil service job? Happens a lot. You will not be blacklisted unless it is a small agency in a small city. The selecting official probably will not remember your name after a week or so. They just move on to the next candidate.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:36 PM

15,036 posts, read 21,772,182 times
I'm not understanding why you regret the offer. You could work there, love it and be happy. You could work there, realize it is not for you, and look for another job leaving on good terms.

You don't like where you are working... so why not take the new job?

Old 06-13-2019, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I'm not understanding why you regret the offer. You could work there, love it and be happy. You could work there, realize it is not for you, and look for another job leaving on good terms.

You don't like where you are working... so why not take the new job?
I guess my regret is that I felt that I should have stuck with my current job a bit more, maybe my feeling toward the job would change. In addition, I just can't stop feeling bad for leaving. I felt as though I have abandoned my supervisor when she is currently short on staffs. A lot of people from my department has been quitting for a better job opportunity. I know that you should think about yourself, but I really like my supervisor and is thankful to her for hiring me and being such an understanding person. She was the only person that was willing to hire me despite my lack of experience. I feel as though the only reason I got to where I am is that she has given me a chance, and I repay her by leaving when she needed me the most. My boss is supportive of my decision and said that I should do what best for me, but that made me felt even worst.

Last edited by liliann; 06-13-2019 at 07:36 PM..

Old 06-13-2019, 07:37 PM

6,867 posts, read 3,733,857 times
a. You won't be blackballed. An individual hiring manager might remember you and not make an offer later, but organizationally there is no list. No one has time to keep such a list anyway.

b. If your heart's not in making the change, then you shouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment