U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 08:43 AM

5,248 posts, read 5,170,302 times

Advertisements

I would always have my eyes open for a new job if I wasn't happy with compensation and/or benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Please tell us all some jobs that start a person out with FOUR weeks PTO.
No problem. All of my jobs in the past 6-7 years. 20 days of PTO. Plus other things---sick, personal, whatever. I'm in health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 12:29 PM

6,878 posts, read 7,276,074 times
I asked because most jobs do NOT start people off at four weeks.

What exactly do you do?
Are you an employee or independent contractor? Did you negotiate those 20 days to start? Or are they standard starting PTO for those employers for all employees...from janitor on up?

Old 06-16-2019, 12:51 PM

21,172 posts, read 11,774,111 times
I've never worked anywhere that started people at 4 weeks. I have been able to negotiate 3 weeks instead of the usual 2 weeks to start, but not more than that.

In my current job, I ended up taking a little more money over an extra week of vacation but that's because they also gave 12 sick days per year. It's written in the policy that those can be used to care for a sick family member so I was fine with that, since I'm a sandwich generation member, with a now-teen and an elderly parent, and I always end up needing time off to care for both of them. I was fine with it coming out of a sick day bucket instead of a PTO bucket.

But I'm sure for fields that are in very high demand, they do have to make adjustments to attract good people.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:21 PM

401 posts, read 203,525 times
Default Plan ahead

It's true that some people do not get sick, and if you're one of them, be glad.

My attitude was always that I didn't want to waste my sick days being sick. I took my sick days as personal days. I've never worked in a place where you could save sick days up - it was always a use-it-or-loose-it situation. But every place I've worked at looked at employees who took all their sick days as slackers. They would put up with it depending upon how valuable and replaceable the employee was.

Personally, I'd take the days, since you don't do it very often. Act like you are getting sick the day before you want to take off, so when you call in sick the next day, they are not surprised. I know the managers where I've worked were always skeptical about exactly how sick they were, when people took only one day off.

And you are correct about maybe getting psychologically sick. That happened to me once. I called in with a fake hoarse voice, and in about half an hour, I coughed up a drop of blood. I had to tell myself that I was fine, I was faking it, and it went away.

As far as the guilty conscience, none of us can advise you on that.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:44 PM

11 posts, read 2,249 times
Sick days are sick days. They are not PTO or vacation days. They are for you when you are sick. If you don't need them, then great, you never got sick!

That being said, states have laws for what sick days can be used for. For example, some states allow you to use them for doctor's visits.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:52 AM

6,878 posts, read 7,276,074 times
Quote:
Sick days are sick days. They are not PTO or vacation days. They are for you when you are sick. If you don't need them, then great, you never got sick!
Exactly. That's an integrity issue.

Fortunately I've never had to do something like lie about calling out. And hope I never have to. I don't know if I could. It's just not me to do that.

And of course there are people who feel forced to do it for something really major -- and a birthday or anniversary is NOT it. And there are people who abuse it and do it all the time. But that's life. Some people are more honest, more often than others.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:29 AM

23,580 posts, read 17,553,447 times
Two weeks of vacation is poor. I would use a sick day or two, holding on to the rest toward the end of the year in the event you truly do come down with something.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:54 AM

555 posts, read 155,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I would always have my eyes open for a new job if I wasn't happy with compensation and/or benefits.

No problem. All of my jobs in the past 6-7 years. 20 days of PTO. Plus other things---sick, personal, whatever. I'm in health care.
I am in insurance. Before that I worked in an industry which is mostly/typically 1099 so that doesn't count (only reason I left hat industry is lack of benefits)

Anyway, my first insurance job ever/entry level, we started with 14 days, which were PTO, not delineated vacation and sick. After one year it went to 20 days, after 5 years it went to 28 and that's where it capped, You could also roll them over.

The above has basically been the case for every job in insurance, until this one. I have had MANY conversations with my boss, and he is well aware of what I want, ad nauseum for him I am sure. I think the big thing is that the culture around here is to not take any days off, so he just doesn't see why it's a "thing"...I mean no one else has ever thought it was, right?

My plan is to test him this year: I am going to just keep asking for days off and see if he even notices that I go over. Currently, I have planned 13 days full of "stuff" that I need time off for. If he says no at some point, I will tell him that I cannot live what little is left of my life knowing I will never see Europe, Asia, etc because you just cannot do that in 10-ish days. Let's see what happens!

Old 06-17-2019, 09:09 AM

7,959 posts, read 9,705,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
I am in insurance. Before that I worked in an industry which is mostly/typically 1099 so that doesn't count (only reason I left hat industry is lack of benefits)

Anyway, my first insurance job ever/entry level, we started with 14 days, which were PTO, not delineated vacation and sick. After one year it went to 20 days, after 5 years it went to 28 and that's where it capped, You could also roll them over.

The above has basically been the case for every job in insurance, until this one. I have had MANY conversations with my boss, and he is well aware of what I want, ad nauseum for him I am sure. I think the big thing is that the culture around here is to not take any days off, so he just doesn't see why it's a "thing"...I mean no one else has ever thought it was, right?

My plan is to test him this year: I am going to just keep asking for days off and see if he even notices that I go over. Currently, I have planned 13 days full of "stuff" that I need time off for. If he says no at some point, I will tell him that I cannot live what little is left of my life knowing I will never see Europe, Asia, etc because you just cannot do that in 10-ish days. Let's see what happens!

So, let me re-phrase: I continue to ask and ask for what I want. My boss continues to deny what I want. But, because it is what I want, I will just take it anyway.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:37 AM

3,986 posts, read 3,253,734 times
To OP: I understand about the inhibition when it comes to taking sick days. I've left many on the table over the years, before PTO was at thing (starting about twenty years ago). The thing is, that's your time and they love to pimp you out of it. My loyalty to any firm is zero anymore. My loyalty to me is 100% true. Might want to think of it that way.

At the moment I'm paying for my own benefits, so it's irreverent and since I seldom get sick, does not matter anyway. Or I can work from home a little sick and infect no one, for a couple days if needed. I'll bill about 2,000 hours this year, and that's that. No more, no less, which includes a little OOF time for me. Not much, though.

As for OP: I email when I must take a "sick day" which is a meaningless term in IT anyway. "I'll be taking a sick day today. For X, call Fred. For Y, call Ned. For Z, call Zed. Returning tomorrow, thank you." In fact it's a mental health day, whatever day of the week (any is fine with me). I didn't lie: I'm taking the sick day.

Or, I announce it slyly one day ahead. "I'll be taking tomorrow OOF sick day. For X, call Fred...etc"

No lies, it's a mental health day and people need breaks. thus my conscience isn't abused either.

You work in a culture of fear, typical America. Oh, I know about it, I've worked places like that and they're no fun. It takes moral courage to "call in sick" so you'd better find some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment