U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 09:01 AM

641 posts, read 239,564 times

Advertisements

I look at the job title first then most importantly verify that the associated duties match what I want. After that, I check if the company is worthwhile (glassdoor reviews, etc.). There are so many companies out there, especially in my target fields - I don't need a specific handful of them to meet my goals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 10:07 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,639,169 times
Salary.

But also company is more important to me. I work in the public sector so whatever department you are in is all about serving a mission. These missions are important, you need to stand by them. My current job exists in the private sector, but it doesn’t serve the public. It’s more about quality assurance for companies. Nothing wrong with that, but that’s not what I want to spend my time doing. So yes the company is much more important than the job title, since private and public sector are going to be wildly different in function with the same job title, because of different purposes.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:53 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
1,467 posts, read 1,131,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
What is more important to you? Working for any company where you are performing the job title you want. Or working for your dream company where you may not have the job title but just getting your foot in the door makes a huge difference. Then you can move around and eventually get your dream position.

If you choose job title, maybe the environment isn't what you enjoy. Maybe their values and vision doesn't align with yours. If you choose company, you could get stuck in a position where you are underpaid and not accomplishing your dream goals.
There's no such thing. Thinking something like that exists is harmful. A more healthy attitude would be, is to find a company/title where you're able to practice what you're good at, learn and grow.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:26 PM

4,653 posts, read 2,290,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
Titles seem to matter alot when it comes to searching for another job...
This x1000.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:56 AM

2,855 posts, read 1,448,366 times
Quote:
It seems to matter alot when it comes to searching for another job...
Eh...

You can be a manager of a McDonalds franchise. It doesn't mean you'll get hired to be a manager at a Goldman Sachs just because you were a manager.

Company matters more, but title matters only if the title at one job is comparable to a title at another.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:06 AM

612 posts, read 266,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Eh...

You can be a manager of a McDonalds franchise. It doesn't mean you'll get hired to be a manager at a Goldman Sachs just because you were a manager.

Company matters more, but title matters only if the title at one job is comparable to a title at another.
No MCD manager is trying to become a manager at Goldman Sachs in one jump.

I'd rather be an Accountant (Title and Salary wise) who does mostly administrative stuff rather than an Administrative Assistant who is constantly busy handling some of the company's day to day accounting work.

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 06-18-2019 at 08:26 AM..

Old 06-18-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
No MCD manager is trying to become a manager at Goldman Sachs in one jump.

I'd rather be an Accountant (Title and Salary wise) who does mostly administrative stuff rather than an Administrative Assistant who is constantly busy handling some of the company's day to day accounting work.
Yeah but point is, it's difficult to have a title (like a Director) at a small town tiny mom & pop kinda company/financial service and then try to go to a giant Fortune 500 corporation and expect to grab the same title.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:46 AM

612 posts, read 266,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Yeah but point is, it's difficult to have a title (like a Director) at a small town tiny mom & pop kinda company/financial service and then try to go to a giant Fortune 500 corporation and expect to grab the same title.
Who is expecting to make that huge of a leap though???

A do-nothing Director at a small company can definitely get a high paying job at a medium size company, assuming he has the appropriate educational background, and can talk the talk.

On the flip side, do you believe an administrative assistant at Goldman Sachs can get a high paying job at a medium size company just because they had "Goldman Sachs" on their resume??

Old 06-18-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Who is expecting to make that huge of a leap though???

A do-nothing Director at a small company can definitely get a high paying job at a medium size company, assuming he has the appropriate educational background, and can talk the talk.

On the flip side, do you believe an administrative assistant at Goldman Sachs can get a high paying job at a medium size company just because they had "Goldman Sachs" on their resume??
I'm saying title to title though.... moving from director and a small time company to a director at a big time place is iffy. Your scenario is most likely what will happen.

And yes, actually, I do. If you work at a major corporation like Sachs, it does elevate one to get a position in a medium sized company. I know several friends who've worked at the big 4 and mainly they get hired at medium companies simply because of them working at the big 4. Org Name recognition goes a long way.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:23 PM

724 posts, read 616,773 times
Definitely company. Some companies offer opportunities, while others do not. A title means little as everything is subject to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or