U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2019, 02:04 PM

13 posts, read 1,822 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I’m really in a stressful situation and would greatly appreciate your help.

I currently work at a large financial institution for the past 4 years and I’m liked by everyone and have great connection with everybody including my manager, district manager and upper leaders.

I’m going to move to Europe permanently, and supposed to fly out on Mon, Aug 5. I get paid about $700-1100 quarterly bonus which is paid on the paystub 6 weeks after quarter ends. On my current quarter which is ending June 30th, the bonus earned won’t show up until Aug 16 paycheck.

All my co workers (except my managers) knows that I am moving (I trust them all), and was planning on telling my manager 2-3 weeks before in middle of July that I will be moving overseas and last day of my work would be Aug 2. However, I’m not sure that if I leave 2 weeks before (Aug 2) the scheduled paystub to receive the previous quarterly bonus (Aug 16), I may or may not get paid for the bonus. I called HR 3 different times and was told that they did not know and asked me to check with my manager and direct business line, which is stupid because if I the question to my manager about this she may seem suspicious that I’m planning on leaving the company. My HR department is horrible.

At my place if you give 2 weeks notice, they usually let you go same day but still pay you for the 2 weeks. However, one time a co worker announced her retirement and was let stay until her very last day. Not sure what will happen on my situation as they may either let me stay the 2 weeks or let me go with 2 weeks paid (which I hope is the case which gives me 2 weeks paid to enjoy off before my move). I still get paid for unused accrued PTO regardless.

Now I’m not sure what will happen if I tell the truth to my manager that I will be moving back to Europe on Aug 5, and give my 2 weeks notice prior to that. I want to make sure the bonus gets paid out to me and don’t want to lose it just because I’m leaving 2 weeks before bonus check is paid out.

So to be on the safer side to make sure I get my bonus paid out + paid for 2 extra week when I give them my “2 weeks notice”, I will tell my manager on Aug 3 that I will be leaving the company to a competitor for better opportunity and that I will eventually transfer out to Europe (which means most likely they let me go same day due to a risk but is a lie) or they will ask me to still work the 2 weeks (which will be an issue because I’m flying out on following Monday the 5th) but can make something up saying I cannot come to work due to XYZ.

How should I do? I wanted to be 100% honest but no matter how close and good relationship I have with my manager, at the end of the day I want to do what’s best for me financially to make sure my bonus is paid out for sure.

Please advise.

Ps! It’s very slim chance I will ever return back to America or work for my current company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 02:38 PM

2,277 posts, read 1,151,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobQueNow View Post
Iím going to move to Europe permanently, and supposed to fly out on Mon, Aug 5. I get paid about $700-1100 quarterly bonus which is paid on the paystub 6 weeks after quarter ends. On my current quarter which is ending June 30th, the bonus earned wonít show up until Aug 16 paycheck.

All my co workers (except my managers) knows that I am moving (I trust them all), and was planning on telling my manager 2-3 weeks before in middle of July that I will be moving overseas and last day of my work would be Aug 2.
The bonus is earned during that quarter. As of June 30, it's owed to you.

But if you're moving to Europe, and they don't pay... what are you going to do? And how big of a deal is About $1000 to you anyway?

If they're an ethical company, they'll pay you. If they aren't, they won't; and there's no point in worrying about it because there's nothing you can really do. So why worry? Move, enjoy yourself. If they stiff you, you can pass the word and let karma catch up to them.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:54 PM

Any more people with feedback?

Greatly appreciated wants few more.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:09 PM

37,962 posts, read 55,708,171 times
Is the company transferring you to Europe or you're quitting your job quietly behind their back? That would explain your question...

Do you have a job already, or going to move first then apply?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Is the company transferring you to Europe or you're quitting your job quietly behind their back? That would explain your question...

Do you have a job already, or going to move first then apply?
I’m quitting (no job transfer or job lined up, will apply once I move and get there)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment