U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 05:40 PM

2,111 posts, read 2,088,855 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to defend her but for those of you who said "it's only a cold", some people are affected worse than others. When I get a cold my nose runs constantly and blowing it is disgusting. I wouldn't want me in the office snotting all over the place and infecting everything I touched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 01:26 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,855,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
I'm not trying to defend her but for those of you who said "it's only a cold", some people are affected worse than others. When I get a cold my nose runs constantly and blowing it is disgusting. I wouldn't want me in the office snotting all over the place and infecting everything I touched.
But there's medicine for colds, even home remedies. To call out again after returning from a vacation just seems like the OPs friend is taking advantage of their niceness towards her.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:03 AM

381 posts, read 148,619 times
Some people can’t take cold meds. I personally would go in. Unless I had like 101 fever and couldn’t function, I would force myself. Maybe leave early if you can’t even stand up. But at least make the effort to go in.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:14 AM

2,173 posts, read 531,207 times
Your friend doesn't get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression at her new job.

She should seek to turn the situation around. A year of over-delivering will largely erase the negative job equity she developed over her first few weeks on the job.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:40 AM

6,548 posts, read 2,362,084 times
I think, since you guys are friends, AS a friend, you can voice your concern.

Which was your basic question, right?

Old 06-17-2019, 11:16 AM

381 posts, read 148,619 times
Her job description has so many responsibilities but she says she is only doing 1 or 2 of them all day and doesn’t think there is anymore training. I wonder why it’s so detailed yet she isn’t doing hardly anything that is in the job description.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:21 PM

1,547 posts, read 400,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Suck it up and take some cold medicine and get to work. A "cold" is never an excuse to miss work.
Said the employer, with their feet up on the desk with a cigar lit by a hundred dollar bill.

The management of the company works with accounting to determine the number of vacations and sick days employees may take. This is factored into the employee's compensation. They are your sicks days, you should use them. I don't want any employees coming in who are sick making bad discussions and being contagious, and who can't participate in meetings because they are sneezing their heads off.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Of course.

My policy is, if you are sick, stay home. We don't need the details. Rest and get better. If you come in while you are sick, I just might fire you because you aren't following a clear policy I put in place.

Good management has backups for everyone. Employees should be cross-trained. Nothing should be so dependent on a single employee, that's just a bad management practice.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
But there's medicine for colds, even home remedies. To call out again after returning from a vacation just seems like the OPs friend is taking advantage of their niceness towards her.
Big deal. People get sick, you can't control when they get sick, they just do. It is all factored into the accounting for the organization.

For those of you coming into the office sick, don't think of a moment anyone there appreciates you doing that who end up sick because of you.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Some people canít take cold meds. I personally would go in. Unless I had like 101 fever and couldnít function, I would force myself. Maybe leave early if you canít even stand up. But at least make the effort to go in.
I don't know who you think you are doing this for. Co-workers with kids, you think they want you to make them sick and their kids too? If you are sick and come to work, you only extend how sick you are going to be. If you actually stay home and rest, you will recover more quickly.

Sick days are factored into your compensation just like vacation, health care costs, overhead of the office, etc.

I do project management, we factor into the schedule holidays, vacations, doctor visits, etc. We come up with a number for this per head count and it is used to plan the schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or