U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2019, 01:44 PM
 
6,584 posts, read 2,373,498 times
Reputation: 15132

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Her job description has so many responsibilities but she says she is only doing 1 or 2 of them all day and doesnít think there is anymore training. I wonder why itís so detailed yet she isnít doing hardly anything that is in the job description.

Hmmm. Are you trying to direct this conversation in a different direction?


Look, if you're concerned for your friend, than express your concern. Otherwise, what are you looking for? To gossip about her lack of seriousness, and how she doesn't seem to share your sense of duty? Cause if that's the main plan here, then it would seem she's not that good of a friend...or maybe more to the point, YOU'RE not that good of a friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2019, 01:48 PM
 
384 posts, read 150,717 times
Reputation: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
I don't know who you think you are doing this for. Co-workers with kids, you think they want you to make them sick and their kids too? If you are sick and come to work, you only extend how sick you are going to be. If you actually stay home and rest, you will recover more quickly.

Sick days are factored into your compensation just like vacation, health care costs, overhead of the office, etc.

I do project management, we factor into the schedule holidays, vacations, doctor visits, etc. We come up with a number for this per head count and it is used to plan the schedule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Hmmm. Are you trying to direct this conversation in a different direction?


Look, if you're concerned for your friend, than express your concern. Otherwise, what are you looking for? To gossip about her lack of seriousness, and how she doesn't seem to share your sense of duty? Cause if that's the main plan here, then it would seem she's not that good of a friend...or maybe more to the point, YOU'RE not that good of a friend.
This is an anonymous board. This has nothing to do with how good of a friend she or I am. Itís just something there came up today and she said they lied to her about her job description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2019, 01:51 PM
 
6,584 posts, read 2,373,498 times
Reputation: 15132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
This is an anonymous board. This has nothing to do with how good of a friend she or I am. Itís just something there came up today and she said they lied to her about her job description.

You always say that. But you have a personality, and it comes through in your posts. You often complain about what other people are up to.


You asked, way at the beginning of this thread, if you should say something to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2019, 02:15 PM
 
4,079 posts, read 2,945,731 times
Reputation: 7076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
You always say that. But you have a personality, and it comes through in your posts. You often complain about what other people are up to.


You asked, way at the beginning of this thread, if you should say something to her.
+1.....lots of "friends" with issues at work. Hmmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2019, 02:34 PM
 
307 posts, read 113,782 times
Reputation: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
If you come in while you are sick, I just might fire you because you aren't following a clear policy I put in place.
You seem generally anti-management but then drop this gem.

"Wait, are you sick? And you came to work anyway? Pack up your stuff and don't let the door hit you on the way out!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2019, 04:09 PM
 
20,560 posts, read 16,631,628 times
Reputation: 38614
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
I'm not trying to defend her but for those of you who said "it's only a cold", some people are affected worse than others. When I get a cold my nose runs constantly and blowing it is disgusting. I wouldn't want me in the office snotting all over the place and infecting everything I touched.
No cold is over in one day, so can she call out for the week, on the heels of a weeks vacation, right after she started? Iím sorry but this was a terrible thing to do to her coworkers. At my job theyíd have had coverage for my vacation but theyíd have to work short (and late) if I called out after my vacation was over.

This is exactly the reasons companies have to have rules about losing holiday pay if you call out the day before or after a holiday, cause you give people an inch and they take a mile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2019, 04:14 PM
 
47 posts, read 12,625 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
My friend started a new job a month ago. She had a pre planned trip for her cousins wedding and they approved it. The day before her vacation she asked if she could leave an hour early. They let her. Then the day she was supposed to go back (a week later) she called in because she was getting over a cold she could from her kids. Now she is texting me all pissed off that they donít seem as nice to her today. Should I finally be honest with her and tell her she needs to be more responsible with her jobs. I would never ask to leave an hour early or call in after a week off after only 3 weeks at the job would you? Or just keep appeasing her like I usually do.

Why get involved at all? If you have to tell her anything, tell her to meet with her supervisor to determine if there are any problems with her performance to date as she is "sensing something".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2019, 04:21 PM
 
935 posts, read 257,934 times
Reputation: 2555
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
But there's medicine for colds, even home remedies.
...which don't work.

If she worked in food service, or possibly something in an office where she would be passing a lot of paperwork back and forth, I could see her not wanting to come in. But, that would be several days of being congested enough to not want to spread it around...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Her job description has so many responsibilities but she says she is only doing 1 or 2 of them all day and doesnít think there is anymore training. I wonder why itís so detailed yet she isnít doing hardly anything that is in the job description.
Just because there's a canned job description, doesn't mean it's what they actually put the person to doing. (Especially when new? Perhaps they're going to keep putting more on gradually.) I've had jobs where I look back at the job description on the ad and laugh because I didn't do any of that stuff!


OP, if she asks you for advice, fire away. If she doesn't, MYOB and don't worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2019, 06:10 PM
 
2,111 posts, read 2,091,981 times
Reputation: 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
But there's medicine for colds, even home remedies. To call out again after returning from a vacation just seems like the OPs friend is taking advantage of their niceness towards her.
If I take enough cold medicine to mask the symptoms it knocks me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Of course.

My policy is, if you are sick, stay home. We don't need the details. Rest and get better. If you come in while you are sick, I just might fire you because you aren't following a clear policy I put in place.

Good management has backups for everyone. Employees should be cross-trained. Nothing should be so dependent on a single employee, that's just a bad management practice.
Absolutely agree. Always stayed home when I was an employee and sent people home when I was the boss. Had my own company and people were not allowed to come in and make others sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No cold is over in one day, so can she call out for the week, on the heels of a weeks vacation, right after she started? I’m sorry but this was a terrible thing to do to her coworkers. At my job they’d have had coverage for my vacation but they’d have to work short (and late) if I called out after my vacation was over.

This is exactly the reasons companies have to have rules about losing holiday pay if you call out the day before or after a holiday, cause you give people an inch and they take a mile.
Yep. Some times timing is just unfortunate and you have to suffer with the consequences.

Twenty five years ago, I had one period in my life that would have been unbelievable. Within a time period of about 3 years my husband and I lost my grandmother, his brother, my mother, his stepmother, my aunt, his aunt, my father, then his father. We had to go to all of these wakes and funerals. By then I had my own business so I didn't have to report to anyone, but I don't know if an employer would have believed me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2019, 07:02 PM
 
2,067 posts, read 599,290 times
Reputation: 2928
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Twenty five years ago, I had one period in my life that would have been unbelievable. Within a time period of about 3 years my husband and I lost my grandmother, his brother, my mother, his stepmother, my aunt, his aunt, my father, then his father. We had to go to all of these wakes and funerals. By then I had my own business so I didn't have to report to anyone, but I don't know if an employer would have believed me.
Easy, send HR the death certificates.

We had a guy out for at least a month his Father died. It all depends how much time you need off depending on how close you were. It also depends on how much reputation and equity you have in the company built up. This is kind of why I don't want to switch companies I don't want to start from scratch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top