U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 07:04 PM

2,053 posts, read 595,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
If I take enough cold medicine to mask the symptoms it knocks me out.
Same here, thankfully I have a job function where I can WFH when sick even if the company doesn't explicitly encourage it. (My current company I am 90% remote). Take a nap for 2 hours then wake up and answer more e-mails. I'm sure they would prefer that to an all out sick day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 08:18 PM

925 posts, read 253,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Easy, send HR the death certificates.

We had a guy out for at least a month his Father died. It all depends how much time you need off depending on how close you were. It also depends on how much reputation and equity you have in the company built up. This is kind of why I don't want to switch companies I don't want to start from scratch.
Depending on how close you were and how much business needs to be taken care of after. Cleaning out a parent's house usually is not a task to be taken lightly... notifying everyone who needs to be notified... dealing with creditors and probate... etc.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:28 AM

23,557 posts, read 17,535,380 times
It's extremely poor judgment. At a month in, people are just getting to know you. It leaves a lousy impression.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:38 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,083,164 times
I'd chalk it up to unfortunate timing and nothing more. "It's just a cold" my behind.... You know how far those germs fly every time you sneeze or cough? Do you know how long that crap can survive on a doorknob, desk or coffee pot after your infected self has walked off? You can be contagious for a week or more.

I was sick for a month near the beginning of a new role. I "sucked it up" and tried to work through it. Went to the doctor multiple times and was told it was viral and needed to run its course. Still kept going to work but wasn't anywhere near 100%. My coworkers kept suggesting I go home. Finally took 4 days off and felt way better. During this time I likely got three others sick.

Fast forward a few months and we were doing a peer feedback session. I received some very positive feedback. I received some very negative feedback about going to work sick for so long.

I know it looks bad but in my case so does going to work sick. Everyone's situation is different.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:53 AM

2,053 posts, read 595,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
I received some very negative feedback about going to work sick for so long.
You just can't win these days.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:18 AM

881 posts, read 335,093 times
Your friend would have been smarter to show up the day after her vacation, let them see she was ill, then taken a day off. Not showing up and asking them to believe her, when she doesn't have a track record there and they don't know her or her work ethic, was risky.

Now the first impression she's given is that she'll take the maximum number of days off and they can't count on her to be in the office. Yes, the vacation was approved, but she still wasn't there.

As for the tasks that she says she was lied to about - she's only been there 3 weeks. Maybe they are slowly working her into the whole role. She seems flaky, from your description.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:38 AM

20,533 posts, read 16,605,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
I'd chalk it up to unfortunate timing and nothing more. "It's just a cold" my behind.... You know how far those germs fly every time you sneeze or cough? Do you know how long that crap can survive on a doorknob, desk or coffee pot after your infected self has walked off? You can be contagious for a week or more.

I was sick for a month near the beginning of a new role. I "sucked it up" and tried to work through it. Went to the doctor multiple times and was told it was viral and needed to run its course. Still kept going to work but wasn't anywhere near 100%. My coworkers kept suggesting I go home. Finally took 4 days off and felt way better. During this time I likely got three others sick.

Fast forward a few months and we were doing a peer feedback session. I received some very positive feedback. I received some very negative feedback about going to work sick for so long.

I know it looks bad but in my case so does going to work sick. Everyone's situation is different.
So what was taking one day off going to do? Colds last weeks. Also she wasnít so sick she has to cut her vacation short, itís just too bad to go to work? Sorry calling out one day for a cold is ridiculous and pointless, and coming on the heels of a weeks vacation, if I were boss Iíd assume sheís lying.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:46 AM

380 posts, read 148,186 times
On another note, she also said the person who got her the job already got his referral bonus. Isn’t that usual after 90 days?

Old 06-18-2019, 11:42 AM

4,073 posts, read 2,936,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
On another note, she also said the person who got her the job already got his referral bonus. Isnít that usual after 90 days?
With the way you post, I have a feeling this is you we're discussing here. Can you 'fess up?

Old 06-18-2019, 11:45 AM

380 posts, read 148,186 times
No it is not me. I’m just saying that she should be happy and not fake advantage. She was worried they where treating her differently but if her friend already received the referral I don’t think they are going to fire her for calling in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or