U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 10:22 AM

379 posts, read 147,572 times

Advertisements

My friend started a new job a month ago. She had a pre planned trip for her cousins wedding and they approved it. The day before her vacation she asked if she could leave an hour early. They let her. Then the day she was supposed to go back (a week later) she called in because she was getting over a cold she could from her kids. Now she is texting me all pissed off that they don’t seem as nice to her today. Should I finally be honest with her and tell her she needs to be more responsible with her jobs. I would never ask to leave an hour early or call in after a week off after only 3 weeks at the job would you? Or just keep appeasing her like I usually do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 10:45 AM

606 posts, read 264,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
My friend started a new job a month ago. 1. She had a pre planned trip for her cousins wedding and they approved it. 2. The day before her vacation she asked if she could leave an hour early. They let her. 3. Then the day she was supposed to go back (a week later) she called in because she was getting over a cold she could from her kids. Now she is texting me all pissed off that they donít seem as nice to her today. Should I finally be honest with her and tell her she needs to be more responsible with her jobs. I would never ask to leave an hour early or call in after a week off after only 3 weeks at the job would you? Or just keep appeasing her like I usually do.
What's the nature of her job??

1. If she made them aware of the wedding during the interview, I don't see why they'd hold it against her.

2. That's understanding if you have to prepare for the trip the next day.

3. As long as it's not a made up story, it's fine. Employers DON'T want contagious people at the office.

With that being said, she needs to understand that she hasn't been reliable so far. So, she will need to be near perfect going forward if she wants people to start taking her seriously.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:49 AM

379 posts, read 147,572 times
Large corporate office job. Planner, tracking inventory.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:09 PM

2,867 posts, read 6,402,413 times
Let me take a guess....

Does she cycle through jobs frequently?

Old 06-14-2019, 12:11 PM

39,319 posts, read 2,966,634 times
She is an adult, she shoudl know better. Tell her if you want, but be prepared for it to backfire, she doesn't sound very mature.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:17 PM

606 posts, read 264,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Large corporate office job. Planner, tracking inventory.
Sounds like the type of job where your tasks pile up as a result of being negligent. She won't last long if she doesn't get it together.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:48 PM

179 posts, read 29,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
Sounds like the type of job where your tasks pile up as a result of being negligent. She won't last long if she doesn't get it together.
Suck it up and take some cold medicine and get to work. A "cold" is never an excuse to miss work.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:11 PM

20,521 posts, read 16,599,446 times
It looks terrible to call out the day you’re supposed to return from vacation. Especially for something as trivial as a cold. She might as well just have said I need a day to recuperate before I come back because I’m tired from my trip. For a new employee to do this to me if I were her employers I would be seriously questioning my judgment and hiring her. They were very generous to approve her vacation before she even started, but it sounds like she then took it advantage of the situation and the generosity of her employer.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:23 PM

7,072 posts, read 2,899,892 times
Did this friend attend the same destination wedding you didn't want to travel to? OP seems to have a lot of clueless or immature friends and/or relatives to start threads about. Must have cornered the market.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:26 PM

2,384 posts, read 907,342 times
Don't think it's OP's place to tell her anything.
Obviously your friend don't care about her new found employment. Let her and them worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or