Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 04:33 PM

28 posts, read 11,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You wouldn't trust others to do childcare/daycare for you? What, then, is your definition of "work-life balance"? It sounds like you want a job that allows you to stay home to look after your kids. That's not going to happen.

Could you clarify what your expectations are, with this "work-life balance" thing? And where are you currently living?
I realized that in todays world a woman can not and should not be just a housewife or just a career girl. She has to do both things to feel truly happy and accomplished in life. May be not at the same time but her choices do have to be somewhat multidimensional. Thats the double burden women have to carry, as opposed to men, and it may not be fair but sadly these are modern realities. Thankfully, at least for now i dont have to be the sole or main breadwinner so i have some flexibility as to the choice of a career. Something that would either allow me flexible schedule or part time arrangement but would still be rewarding enough and have room for growth in the future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
Most of the people I know just jump into it. Others did it because they had no choice, no job offers. Some did it because they hate their current jobs. Others do it because it's something that they have always wanted to do. For me, I always hated working for someone else. I hate to put my life in the hands of other people. It takes courage to be a business owner, entrepreneur, or self-employed because the money is not guaranteed. You end up paying everyone else before you can get paid.

My education has very little to do with my business. I have a degree in education. But over the years I learn how to run a business. Not all entrepreneurs are rich and living that great life. Often times I make the same or sometimes even less money than when I was employed. The only difference is I don't take orders from anyone and I can work when I want to work and I can show up to my office when I want to show up...that's it.

It is best to find something that you are passionate about when going into business because if you aren't enjoying it, it's easy to quit, especially when the money is not coming in and the expenses are through the roof. An employee does not have expenses, an entrepreneur does. But make sure whatever you are passionate about can translate into making money. And be realistic about it. Like your experience, not every model becomes a superstar making millions and be married to an NFL Quarterback.

An entrepreneur is in SALES. Let me repeat that...It is SALES. You don't sell, you don't make money. Say it one more time....it is SALES. Before jumping into business, I suggest you go buy or go to the library and read up on current books about business, entrepreneur, marketing, and sales.

Next, you have to decide what do you want to sell? Product or Service?

1) Product requires resources, creativity, materials, manpower, and manufacturer, etc.

2) Services require knowledge, licensing, regulations, and lots and lots of paperwork, etc.

Obviously, Products costs money and a lot of money to jump start it. Services is cheaper, it just requires knowledge. Certain knowledge can be easily obtained, others may require you to go back to college. Once you determined what you want to sell. Do your research to see if you have competition in your area or areas you want to sell and if you do, what do you need to do to gain clients/customers. Also, determine if you want to sell locally or nationally. If you want to sell through a store/office or online. Before going live, ask friends, family, and random strangers if you have a certain product or service, would they buy? If people don't buy your products or service, you aren't an entrepreneur.

Most business fails because they lack capital/money to keep them going until they gain enough customers to make a profit. Second reason business fails is the lack of understanding about Marketing. Marketing is crucial to your business. People can't buy from you if they don't even know you are. Finally, business fails because they don't know how to close the deal. They don't know how to sell. All entrepreneurs do is SELL their products or services. If you can not convince people to buy, you don't make any money. There is so much more but it'll take forever to explain everything. Plus, if I feed you everything, it wouldn't do you any good. You must have the drive to find the answers yourself if you want to be an entrepreneur.
Thank you for these precious insights. I wholeheartedly agree with what you said. I think its the fastest way to financial freedom. Perhaps i should consider business ideas with a lowest possible initial investment to get my feet wet. Overall, it reequires a change in mentality and ability to persevere. I wonder if there are biological limitations to these types of endeavors like hormonal status or something that prevents some people from going out and aggressively offer / sell their products or services. Low testosterone, anyone?

Old 06-16-2019, 07:54 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laplandgirl View Post
How is this relevant may i ask? I appreciate ur Swedish skills but plz stay on the topic. So tired of feeding trolls on here.
LOl...are you kidding me? Troll?

I am Swedish which is why I asked. So thank you for appreciating my Swedish skills. I have lived in this great country for 20 years and in Chicago the last 7 ,almost 8 years. I have been through it all. Which is why your thread interested me. Anyways...good luck to you.

(And you are the brand spanking new poster here and have absolutely no room to call me or anybody else on here a troll)

Old 06-16-2019, 08:24 PM

740 posts, read 456,814 times
Quote:
Thank you for these precious insights. I wholeheartedly agree with what you said. I think its the fastest way to financial freedom. Perhaps i should consider business ideas with a lowest possible initial investment to get my feet wet. Overall, it requires a change in mentality and ability to persevere. I wonder if there are biological limitations to these types of endeavors like hormonal status or something that prevents some people from going out and aggressively offer / sell their products or services. Low testosterone, anyone?

If you want to go into business, I suggest you go find a sales job first. Before you go jumping into starting your own business and investing your money away. Find a sales job that has some kind of hourly pay or salary tied to commission. Find a company that can teach you some sales technique. Learn at someone else's expenses, not yours.

Sales is extremely important skill to have as an entrepreneur. If you can't handle sales working for someone else, you won't be able to handle sales working for yourself. Use it for your training ground. You may find out quickly you hate sales even more than being a lawyer. Remember, if you can't sell, you can forget about being an entrepreneur.

Many people actually think that sales requires no skills, just an amazing personality. . Sales is actually a skill that must be learned and perfected. Most people don't have sales skills so what they end up doing is annoy the crap out of their customers. That's the reason why people hate salespeople....it's because they meet people who actually can not sell. They end up meeting someone poorly trained and desperate who is hounding them to buy. That's not how sales work.

While learning how to sell, you'll also need to learn how to market and grow your client base. It is much easier to do this at a job than to do it when you are a business owner already and taking on expenses.

If the thought of going into sales scares you, you can forget about being an entrepreneur or a business owner.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:07 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Hello. I’ ve just got a useless law degree. Thankfully got free ride. I dont plan to sit for the bar exam because i realized i dont want to be an attorney or practice law even if you paid me one million. My undergrad was major in english and french, minor in advertising. 10 years of fashion modeling under my belt, but obviously not a superstar, although i love fashion and apparel industries. I thought of acting but i have an accent. I play some decent piano but not a virtuoso. I Was thinking about moving overseas and working somewhere in a us embassy or consulate, perhaps as a fraud investigator or maybe a womens rights advisor in UN or the like. I speak four languages and pick them up fast ( i guess my lingustics background helps). Please advise on a career path. I have dual citizenship and in my early 30s. Five kids ( i love children). My problem is i am not entrepreneural. How do i develop this trait?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
My thought will sound a little strange.
Get a job. It doesn't really matter much what the job is..............!
Quote:
How does having to take care of five kids might fit into this equation?...............
Get. a. job.
You are busy trying to frame the picture of a career you have yet to start. Everyone is glad you got your law degree, but no one with 5 children to look out for is in a position to pick and choose her complete career.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post

If you want to go into business, I suggest you go find a sales job first. Before you go jumping into starting your own business and investing your money away. Find a sales job that has some kind of hourly pay or salary tied to commission. Find a company that can teach you some sales technique. Learn at someone else's expenses, not yours.

Sales is extremely important skill to have as an entrepreneur. If you can't handle sales working for someone else, you won't be able to handle sales working for yourself. Use it for your training ground. You may find out quickly you hate sales even more than being a lawyer. Remember, if you can't sell, you can forget about being an entrepreneur.

Many people actually think that sales requires no skills, just an amazing personality. . Sales is actually a skill that must be learned and perfected. Most people don't have sales skills so what they end up doing is annoy the crap out of their customers. That's the reason why people hate salespeople....it's because they meet people who actually can not sell. They end up meeting someone poorly trained and desperate who is hounding them to buy. That's not how sales work.

While learning how to sell, you'll also need to learn how to market and grow your client base. It is much easier to do this at a job than to do it when you are a business owner already and taking on expenses.

If the thought of going into sales scares you, you can forget about being an entrepreneur or a business owner.
Very interesting! And it makes sense. There is definitely an art to sales without being a nuisance ( aka sell without “selling”). As a model you have to “sell” yourself to a client at each casting ( make them want to hire you for the project). And then once hired you have to sell the product or apparel ur modeling so that that client hopefully becomes repeat client. So far thats the only “ sales” type experience i’ve had. Since you recommend perfecting my sales technique at someone else’s expense , meaning getting a sales job, what type of product or service is easier to get into, for beginners like me. Are we talking retail, real estate, etc. any tips?

Old 06-17-2019, 12:18 PM

669 posts, read 582,407 times
ok, so you modeled.....what is "next".

Old 06-17-2019, 12:20 PM

669 posts, read 582,407 times
Quote:
Very interesting! And it makes sense. There is definitely an art to sales without being a nuisance ( aka sell without “selling”). As a model you have to “sell” yourself to a client at each casting ( make them want to hire you for the project). And then once hired you have to sell the product or apparel ur modeling so that that client hopefully becomes repeat client. So far thats the only “ sales” type experience i’ve had. Since you recommend perfecting my sales technique at someone else’s expense , meaning getting a sales job, what type of product or service is easier to get into, for beginners like me. Are we talking retail, real estate, etc. any tips?

there are TONS OF SALES JOBS...most are "entry level". Pick a product line that interests you. It is easier to make presentations on products and services that the sales person enjoys.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:21 PM

740 posts, read 456,814 times
Quote:

That is correct. You sell without appearing to be selling. The best salespeople are the ones that their client doesn't even know that they are being sold. When they are done, the client will thank them for helping them make the right decision on a product or service they know they need. They will thank the salesperson for solving their problems with solutions that they are willing to pay for.

Does your area have high-end fashion stores that offer commissions when a client buys clothes? What about high-end Jewelry stores? Car dealerships? These are some of the Retail Sales that you may be able to apply for. This type of sales is much easier because people come to your stores, you don't have to go out and find customers.

Sales that requires you to go out and find clients on your own are much, much harder to succeed. For example Real Estate, Insurance Agents, Financial Advisors, Stock Brokers, Health Agents, Medical Sales, outside sales. It's a completely different animal because the clients don't come to you. You have to find them. In this type of sales.....9 out of 10 people don't make it and the reason is their inability to find clients.

In sales, think long term and not short term if you want to succeed. Don't swindle your client just to close one deal. Be good to them and they will not only come back to you, but they'll also send their friends and family to you as well. Always keep in touch with your clients so that you always remind them that you are still in business and always be willing to take on new clients.

The most important thing in sales:

1) Does a client have an issue or problem that needs solving?

2) Is the product or service you are selling solve this particular client's issue or problem?

Sales is extremely profitable if done right, whether you are selling for someone else or for your own business. Treat your clients as if they were your own family members. Look out for their best interests even if it means you won't be selling them anything. I've turned down clients before because my solutions to their problems weren't the best for them. I have sent them elsewhere to get their problems solved by someone else.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:07 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
i wish i had an answer to that million dollar question.Thank you for your support by the way. I was the only child.

There is a difference between what we want and what pays the bills.

Honestly i want to travel and explore new countries and places, but alas its not possible at the moment.

I loved modeling especially runway work but because of breastfeeding i can not lose weight soon enough to be able to fit into sample sizes and get back to work. Plus with age its getting harder and harder to snap back into my fighting weight after each subsequent pregnancy.

You may laugh but I worked in a law firm for one day only to never come back. Thats how much i hated paperwork and boring research.

Also, I love playing piano but my skills are not at the advanced professional level although i can play about any tune or classical piece after a bit of practice, i can also read music ( 8 years of piano schooling). I practice daily on my baby grand but it may take some time to regain advanced level piano skills.
Why not get your teacher's certificate and teach piano out of your own home? It is definitely something you can do with your children around, especially in the evenings if your hubby works daytime hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment