U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2019, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 521 times

Advertisements

I have been working at my current job for 6-7 months and this is my first job. I love the people I work with and get along with my boss and most of my co-worker. However, dealing with resistance and angry client can be stressful. Please note, I do enjoy my interaction with many of the clients. In the beginning, I was really excited. However, after 3-4 months into it, I started hating coming to work. I would count the days until the weekend arrives and would dread it when Sunday night comes.

I recently had a job offer from a big company with better benefit and pays, which I had accepted. I was excited about the job. However, after some time, I started to regret it. I felt that since I have only been there for a short time, I haven't really given the job a chance. Moreover, I have given up too easy and had taken the easy way out. I kept thinking to myself that I should stick it out a bit more and see; maybe things will get better. I have spoken to my boss about this and she had given me a counteroffer. Granted, the counteroffer doesn't pay as much as the other company. Moreover, the other company works are more aligned with my degree. However, there are perks to my current job. I have a very kind and understanding boss. In addition, my boss gives me a lot of autonomy.

Before I receive the job offer, I thought that I want/needed to get out. But now I kept coming up with reasons to stay. My department is currently short on staff due to the fact that people are leaving for better opportunities, so leaving would put more stress on my boss. I noticed that for the past couple of weeks, things are not as bad as I have thought and I have stopped dreading coming to work. I'm not sure if this feeling is due to the fact that I know that I'll be leaving or something else. But when I think about leaving the job, I would start feeling sad and guilty. Moreover, I would start crying. As mention since this is my first job, I was wondering is this type of emotional turmoil normal, particularly the crying part? Do you think I should give my current job some more time to see if I truly dislike it? Or should I leave for the other job?

Last edited by cluesslessgirl; 06-15-2019 at 09:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 09:34 PM

2,404 posts, read 683,329 times
Take the new job.

6-7 months is enough time to see that the current job is not worth it.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:05 PM

17,248 posts, read 10,169,578 times
Take two

Counter Offer from Current Employer: Take it Or No?

Counteroffers and why you should say no

Why You Should Never Accept a Counter Offer

5 Reasons Why You Should NEVER Accept a Counter Offer

Old 06-15-2019, 11:11 PM

2 posts, read 521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Take two

[url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/2727454-counter-offer-current-employer-take-no.html[/url]

[URL="https://www.russelltobin.com/insights/counter-offers-and-why-you-should-just-say-no/"]Counteroffers and why you should say no
[/URL]

[URL="https://www.phaidoninternational.com/careeradvice/why-you-should-never-accept-a-counter-offer-715030102955935"]Why You Should Never Accept a Counter Offer
[/URL]

[URL="https://www.americanrecruiters.com/2017/02/17/5-reasons-never-accept-counter-offer/"]5 Reasons Why You Should NEVER Accept a Counter Offer[/URL]
Thank you very much for your respond. But my problem is not really the counteroffer. If it was, the choice would have been simple since the counter offer is still below what the other company has to offer. As mention, the other company pays more, have better benefit and work is more aligned with my degree. What this company has in term of leverage is my emotion. I'm trying to figure out why I am feeling such emotion and is it normal. In addition, since it is my first job, I was wondering can a person grow to love their job, even if they initially dislike it to some point

Last edited by cluesslessgirl; 06-15-2019 at 11:23 PM..

Old 06-20-2019, 02:03 PM

375 posts, read 84,449 times
Years ago I read a study that 85% of the people who quit their job was because they hated their boss. So take that into consideration. Usually, I would say take the new job but in this world, it's very hard to find good bosses. You are fortunate to already found one.

I once left an amazing boss and landed an A-Hole. One of my biggest regrets.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:40 PM

3,779 posts, read 2,994,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluesslessgirl View Post
I have a very kind and understanding boss. In addition, my boss gives me a lot of autonomy.
As someone who has been in the workforce for the past 28 years, and has held many jobs, I can state with confidence that these are very valuable factors of your current work situation and are not all that common.

Quote:
But when I think about leaving the job, I would start feeling sad and guilty. Moreover, I would start crying. As mention since this is my first job, I was wondering is this type of emotional turmoil normal, particularly the crying part?
In my experience, no. Emotional turmoil over leaving a job is not normal.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:42 PM

55,644 posts, read 74,585,953 times
Job loyalty is admirable and good and probably cut my career track in half

Old 06-20-2019, 05:46 PM

6,252 posts, read 3,445,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
As someone who has been in the workforce for the past 28 years, and has held many jobs, I can state with confidence that these are very valuable factors of your current work situation and are not all that common.
The only problem with staying because you have a great boss is if that boss leaves or there is a reorg.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:06 PM

1,167 posts, read 575,124 times
Quote:
I have been working at my current job for 6-7 months and this is my first job. I love the people I work with and get along with my boss and most of my co-worker. However, dealing with resistance and angry client can be stressful. Please note, I do enjoy my interaction with many of the clients. In the beginning, I was really excited. However, after 3-4 months into it, I started hating coming to work. I would count the days until the weekend arrives and would dread it when Sunday night comes.

I recently had a job offer from a big company with better benefit and pays, which I had accepted. I was excited about the job. However, after some time, I started to regret it. I felt that since I have only been there for a short time, I haven't really given the job a chance. Moreover, I have given up too easy and had taken the easy way out. I kept thinking to myself that I should stick it out a bit more and see; maybe things will get better. I have spoken to my boss about this and she had given me a counteroffer. Granted, the counteroffer doesn't pay as much as the other company. Moreover, the other company works are more aligned with my degree. However, there are perks to my current job. I have a very kind and understanding boss. In addition, my boss gives me a lot of autonomy.

Before I receive the job offer, I thought that I want/needed to get out. But now I kept coming up with reasons to stay. My department is currently short on staff due to the fact that people are leaving for better opportunities, so leaving would put more stress on my boss. I noticed that for the past couple of weeks, things are not as bad as I have thought and I have stopped dreading coming to work. I'm not sure if this feeling is due to the fact that I know that I'll be leaving or something else. But when I think about leaving the job, I would start feeling sad and guilty. Moreover, I would start crying. As mention since this is my first job, I was wondering is this type of emotional turmoil normal, particularly the crying part? Do you think I should give my current job some more time to see if I truly dislike it? Or should I leave for the other job?
Take off the hair shirt and accept the better offer.

You mention that you really like your boss. But if your workplace is any indication, your boss might just leave.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:59 AM

281 posts, read 123,806 times
OP,
You must not invest emotion in a job. For me, a job is where I go to offer my time in exchange for money. It’s a business transaction. I don't give a hoot if my workplace gets burned down. I don't care about the people I work with. All I care is I get paid for the work I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment