Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 02:15 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,044,280 times

Advertisements

My doctor referred me to a psychotherapist for some of my problems, but the therapist office he referred me is only open from 9-3:30, but I work during that time so I would have to take time off work to go.

I started a new job a few weeks ago, so not sure if it looks good to ask for two hours off a week to go a see therapist, especially since I feel I am on thin ice at the job as it is already.

I posted about problems I was having with the job before, here:

Has anyone worked with fragile glass before, I keep breaking it.

I talked about it with my friend and he said that if you need medical help, that it's the law that you should go, and the employer, legally has to let you do it. But what do you think, is it that simple, especially if it's a new job, which I am already on thin ice for, I feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 06:20 AM

13,011 posts, read 12,976,068 times
I am not sure how Canadian law works on this matter, so I cannot answer your question with any authority. As a rule of thumb, Canadian law is more employee favorable than American, so you are likely in a good legal position.

In the US, many workers could get this covered as unpaid leave under FMLA. The employee needs to work for a company if 50+ employees, and has to have worked a min8mum of 1000 hours in the previous 12 months. FMLA would protect your job status do to being absent for medical reasons, but would not protect your job status for performance.

In other words, an American employer could not fire you for having regular medical appointments, but could still fire you for poor performance.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:54 AM

2,109 posts, read 1,301,841 times
You are new, so you have to pass the probation time first before you can be eligible for benefits such as sick leave, LOA (Leave Of Absence – no pay), Stat Holiday, vacation pay (2 weeks, 3 weeks, etc...), extended health and dental insurance, or FMLA.

Some employer or manager may be very nice and flexible. You can ask your manager to have two hours off work to go to the therapy, and you work two hours after your shift to cover back. If s/he is okay with that, you are good to go. If not, you have to find some other therapist who has the schedule that suits yours. And you have to work very hard, go above and beyond, not to call in sick for a long time, except the time you need to go for your therapy.

No employer likes employees who call in sick often, or come or not come to work whenever they want to. And the hard-working co-workers don’t like them either because they have to do extra work with no extra pay. It’s very stressful. For the long-time ones, and if there’s Union, the employer cannot do much, they have to tolerate them. But with the new ones, the employer can let them go easily.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:35 AM

29,651 posts, read 34,150,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I talked about it with my friend and he said that if you need medical help, that it's the law that you should go, and the employer, legally has to let you do it. But what do you think, is it that simple, especially if it's a new job, which I am already on thin ice for, I feel?
Does your employer have an HR department? I'm not sure of the ins and outs of Canadian labor law, but that's the kind of thing that they can take care of. You tell them that you have a medical issue that requires appointments that are only available during work hours and then you're on the record as having a condition--you're not just missing work.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 06-16-2019 at 08:50 AM..

Old 06-16-2019, 09:20 AM

15,970 posts, read 20,953,665 times
Can you not come in late and stay late, work a different shift, take a half day off and make it up another day, etc?

Old 06-16-2019, 09:46 AM

61,257 posts, read 86,144,940 times
Quote:
I started a new job a few weeks ago, I feel I am on thin ice at the job as it is already.
Already? How come?
Make sure to discuss it with your therapist - the inability to hold a steady job and ongoing problems everywhere you work...

Old 06-16-2019, 12:01 PM

Okay thanks, I'm not sure if we have an HR department but I assume so, I can look into it. Also as for working a different shifts, there are no different shifts, just the one, it seems.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:08 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,192,493 times
Can you ask your boss if you can come in early and leave early (early afternoon appointment like 3:30) or come in late and leave late (early morning appointment)?

Old 06-16-2019, 12:12 PM

Well the thing is, is I don't think there is anyone in earlier than 8 pm, and everyone seems to leave at 4:30, and I am not well trained enough to go in and work myself on those machines, without a mechanic at least being there or something I don't think. Plus the person who coordinates what needs to be done is not there, so I wouldn't even be able to know what needs to be done, if so, if I go in early, I don't think.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:29 PM

15,970 posts, read 20,953,665 times
Small company only open around 8 hours for five days a week then? That makes it more difficult. Seems like your only option would be to ask for the time off (unpaid?) and hope that your performance improves enough, or that your mgr is sympathetic enough to not hold it against you. Might be time to consider other employment options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment