Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 10:20 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Probably different for white collar office jobs. Companies usually only pay for mileage or transportation expenses. There's no hourly "labor" rate for travel. If my company sends me to India for two weeks, they cover my flight , meals, hotel, transportation. Not the 16 hours of flight travel time.
You don't get any additional comp time if traveling during weekends/etc? That sucks. My wife WFH and when she travels on weekends or works later than 5 on meetings she takes time off later. She just had to work a weekend at a conference and banked 16 hours of additional time off.

That being said that isn't really the topic of discussion, it's the company changing the job description. I assume anyone who will spend an indefinite time on the road is compensated for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 10:24 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
I think all this thread proves is the screwing some people get by their employers!! Sans lube!

Old 06-17-2019, 10:58 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
If my company sends me to India for two weeks, they cover my flight , meals, hotel, transportation. Not the 16 hours of flight travel time.
As far as my company is concerned, I am on the clock (figure of speech as i'm salaried) the minute the taxi pulls up in front of my house to take me to the airport, until it drops me off after my return flight. 16 hours sitting on a plane....i'm getting something for that time. Or, If the vendor/customer is in driving distance, the second I start my car's engine i'm on the clock and can expense things like my coffee for the drive.

And if that time rolls into "my time" (after 5PM or on a weekend), i'm getting compensated for that either by extra financial compensation, or additional days off.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 06-17-2019 at 11:27 AM..

Old 06-17-2019, 10:58 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
"Against traveling for work"

I work as a pilot. For an airline. It's literally my job.

It's also insane you believe the compensation for travel is that the company pay for your gas/airfare. I mean, I can't even. With "logic" like that it's impossible to have a rational discussion with you.
You do realize you're paid a salary, correct? The OP is not being asked to work on weekends. It's insane that you think someone should be paid for time off, when they aren't actually working.

I've been in white collar, office jobs for decades and I've never seen someone paid for days off simply because they happen to be physically in another city. You're paid for transportation, food and lodging. Your time off is yours to do what you want, regardless of where you happen to by physically located.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:25 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
It sounds like those arrangements vary widely between industries and companies. That’s rather obvious. The discussion then seems to mostly consist of those convinced that anyone expecting a better deal than what they get is unreasonable and people who believe that anyone getting less than what they get is getting duped.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:50 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
I'm often required to stay at a hotel during the work week as the project I'm working on is far from home. Sometimes if the project is not completed by the weekend it's expected the employee stay at the hotel and start again on Monday.

Being on call is part of the job but in the past I've been told I could not claim time on the weekend at the hotel because I'm not actually working. Others have gotten away with claiming 8 hours each day because they argued it would take that long to drive home and back from the hotel.

Now the company is stating we are allowed 4 hours for Saturday and Sunday. Why shouldn't it be 8 hours? Does anyone know the labor laws? I'm in California if that helps.
Do you actually have the time off for the weekend, or are you on-call during the weekend? If you are on-call for the weekend, you should get paid for that. Any time an employer is inconveniencing you or restricting your travel or activities they show be paying you.

If others have gotten away with it, then you should make a request for it as well to be paid for being required to stay there and the inconvenience. Just because they are paying for expenses that's not a gift, they are doing so because it is required in order for you to conduct business. They need to pay, it isn't a vacation. If you don't bring it up, it is the employer you will have allowed to gotten away with it.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Why should you get paid 8 hours/day to hang out in a different city?
Because it is an inconvenience and the employee is only there as a requirement by the employer.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
So your wife voluntarily gave up roughly 38% of her time during the seven day week just to eat free food?

Good deal for the employer.
Yes, this is the part where the employee is a real sucker. It is like the employer who buys lunch to have a meeting. That's far cheaper than the employer paying time and a half for overtime to have the meeting.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I understand, but you aren't working those eight hours. I know you're not happy that you are working remote like that, but I don't think it makes sense to get paid to not work.

Understood, but it still doesn't make sense to be paid when not working or traveling for work. They should pay for the hotel rooms, food, and travel.
No, they should pay for all of it. The entire thing is a company business activity. It doesn't matter if the OP is watching TV in a hotel room or working, they should be compensated. The employee wouldn't need that food, room and travel costs if they were off for the weekend at their home, now would they? Of course not.

So many of you allow yourselves to be screwed by the employers, never speak up for yourself, never ask questions, never negotiate. You continue to repeat the same lies they have told you over and over, without even thinking of them. The employer only does what is in their best interest, and comes up with any sort of logic to justify you not being fairly compensated. You think free food and a hotel room are a gift? Those are legit business expenses, because that's the purpose of the whole activity for the business. It isn't that the employer said, "Hey, you've been a great employee. I am going to reward you with a vacation where we pick up all the expenses this weekend...".

Old 06-17-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
But you are also not free to do what you want to do. When I was on the road I was not free to work in my garden. Or play ball with my kids. Or eat meals with my family. Or mow the yard. Or do just about anything that I want to do with MY time. MY time, not THEIRs. When you are on the road, you are NOT free to do what you want unless what you want is to spend time in motels.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment