U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 06:13 AM

2,079 posts, read 1,855,579 times

Advertisements

You're a boss and you're letting your employee walk all over you.

Brilliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 09:57 AM

21,163 posts, read 11,768,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I guess that is the problem. I want her to be a great employee that just comes to work when she is supposed to, without any fanfare. But thatís on her... not me
Not if you are her boss, it's on you to manage her properly.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:39 AM

4,343 posts, read 7,985,937 times
Quote:
I guess that is the problem. I want her to be a great employee that just comes to work when she is supposed to, without any fanfare. But thatís on her... not me
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Not if you are her boss, it's on you to manage her properly.
^ This.

You are her manager. But this is also your opportunity to be a leader.
You can provide guidance for her, or you can cut her loose.

Not sure how good she is at her job when she is focused. If she's young and inexperienced - this may be a good opportunity to help her out. If she's clearly just not getting it, it may not be worth the effort. But the decision is yours.

At the end of the day - the job needs to get done.

Welcome to management.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:29 PM

2,058 posts, read 595,941 times
Quote:
I am her boss. I hate to fire her, because then we need to start training another one. I am tired of training people that we have to let go or they end up in prison.
LMAO what kind of place is this???

Sounds like a backwater town where the only talent available is ex-cons if that's your biggest challenge in keeping employees

Old 06-19-2019, 10:38 AM

3,940 posts, read 3,259,672 times
I'm always a bit confused by posters who seem to have a big hand in their "problems" but fail to see that for what is is, and what it means. After years of managing my own business, and managing for others, I'd have to say that being indecisive can cost a lot of time and money.

The best managers act, and they act on the knowledge gained from past experience. I'd hired and fired a lot of people during those years in management, I never wasted much time reconsidering my decisions, my goal was to get to a position wherein I had the crew I needed.

Part of the modern day problem with employee management stems from the notion of long and drawn out hiring practices as a good thing, yes, I know that is supposed to be a deterrent to hiring the wrong people for the job---but, it obviously fails and often spectacularly. Hiring should include a perfunctory questioning period followed by some simple testing, and, most importantly allowing the candidate to be aware of the probationary period requirements.

Once the prospective employees signs the probationary agreement acknowledgement forms let them work until they show signs of poor, work habit's, attendance, or attitude, and then fire them summarily. Everyone should get a fair shake, and yes there is some room for sympathy, but management is supposed to set the overall tone of the business. It sounds as though the OP works in a dysfunctional office, the fact of allowing animals in the work space is a good clue to the level of professionalism expected..

Old 06-19-2019, 11:40 AM

7,378 posts, read 11,546,048 times
Quote:

Second, I bring my dog every day. He is a very calm old man that sleeps all day in my office. He only greets someone when they call him. Goes outside maybe once or twice a day. Is fine if a customer walks in and leaves the door open. Never barks.

On a Saturday, when only two of us were working, I allowed her to bring her dog as a trial. He was jack russell crazy needy all day. He pees on things, had to be watched constantly, needs to be walked many times throughout the day. He needs to be held and ends up on every employees lap through out the day. He barks when a customer walks in and she is in constant fear he will run out the door. We work on a very busy main road, so yes he is not safe here. I told her he was to big of a distraction and needy to be here on regular work days. So she asks another boss and owner of he could come. Neither knew how needy the dog was... now she brings the unruly dog and her production is decreased significantly.
This almost sounds like a comedy routine.

Like a Key and Peele skit...

Old 06-20-2019, 04:11 AM

7,369 posts, read 4,222,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I agree with what almost everyone else said, in so many words: that you should emphasize that you are the boss and you make the rules, not her. I also understand that you don't want to train someone new, so I am just asking --

Can you give her a choice of working 9 to 3? It will be less hours and not full-time, but if it is either that or working 9 to 5, maybe she will reconsider how much she needs and wants the job. Btw, depending on what, if any, benefits you offer, you might be better off, too, with such a schedule as most part-timers do not get much, if anything, in the way of benefits.

(Personally, I would rather NOT have someone working for me who was not happy. I think it might be better for both you and her if you let her go.)
I need the phone coverage until 5. 3-5 is what she hates but when needed the most.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:28 AM

6,875 posts, read 7,273,507 times
OP, why are you still posting about what she (the employee -- NEW employee at that) still wants?...when almost everyone here has already told you, YOU are the boss/manager.....YOU get to tell her the way it will be.

And yes, please:
-- do build a paper trail off your requirements and her duties, and her not performing accordingly
-- and let you boss know how you're on top of this, (your already established paper trail, lateness notices, PIP plan, etc), keep him/her informed...so this bad hire can't go around you to them....and now YOU are the one in trouble...1) for not doing your job and handling it, and 2) allowing it to now become your bosses problem.

And yes, now that you've allowed her dog to come to work -- THAT is an issue, too. SO now you have to write up guidelines for bringing a dog to work. And it can't just be they have to get along with MY dog. They have to be workplace, productivity driven parameters (which of course you know her dog can't meet.)

Old 06-20-2019, 07:59 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,971,140 times
Quote:
I need the phone coverage until 5. 3-5 is what she hates but when needed the most.
And have you told her in no uncertain terms that she will be at work at those times, or she will be terminated for not being able to meet the expectations of the position?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or