U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 06:06 PM

2,213 posts, read 3,083,160 times

Advertisements

To have a job that is stress free and just a job where whatever happens that day is history?

Opposite of a job that a mistake you make today could come back to get you 3 weeks later.

I'm happy with my job now but I sometimes think about 10 years from now. I'm good at budgeting & I could see myself just quitting a job and taking a pay cut just to live stress free.

I know not everybody can do this because of family or debt but I could be in a great situation to do so with other benefiting factors.

Anybody done this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 06:10 PM

158 posts, read 40,197 times
I did a step down about a year before I retired... was a manager working a high stress job mega hour job on swing shift. I transferred to a day shift, technical job for the last year I worked. Then it was an 8 hour day, 5 day a week, and nothing walked out the door with me mentally at the end of the day.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:19 PM

3,531 posts, read 1,344,614 times
"Anybody done this?"
did it in 1996....but....
accepted another position
with double the money until
the Great Recession of 2005.
(that is when it started for us).

Old 06-17-2019, 06:54 PM

1,664 posts, read 547,450 times
I've never stepped down from a good job. I've stepped down from a higher paying job.

I took a $16k pay cut to come to the company I'm at now. The old place was a terrible job. It was high stress, low reward, taking less pay for a better job was the best decision I made in years.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:17 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,252,670 times
I would never leave a GOOD job However, I have stepped down from stressful, higher paying jobs.

I had a job in an area of the country I didn't like that paid very well but was stressful, had 70-75 hour workweeks and unappreciative leadership.

I decided I had enough of that and found a different job in an area of the country that I DO like (here) that is much less stressful with a better company. I took a significant pay cut ($18 K/year) but the COL is much lower here so I pretty much broke even financially. In terms of quality of life, I came out way ahead.

The only regret that I have is that I didn't make the decision sooner.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:31 PM

2,052 posts, read 594,159 times
No such thing, "Up or Out" is the reality now.

Hypothetically let's say I make a tidy sum off my crypto investments. I would not quit my job for a lower paying job because unfortunately virtually ALL jobs beneath me are just as stressful (if not more) with the added sting of less pay to boot. No thanks!!!

My parents are retired they can work any job they want to make a little extra cash on top of the pension. They refuse to work low level jobs these days because they are even more stressful than the job they retired from. And the city jobs they had were filled with politics, drama and constant issues in these departments.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:33 PM

8,929 posts, read 8,390,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I would never leave a GOOD job However, I have stepped down from stressful, higher paying jobs.

I had a job in an area of the country I didn't like that paid very well but was stressful, had 70-75 hour workweeks and unappreciative leadership.

I decided I had enough of that and found a different job in an area of the country that I DO like (here) that is much less stressful with a better company. I took a significant pay cut ($18 K/year) but the COL is much lower here so I pretty much broke even financially. In terms of quality of life, I came out way ahead.

The only regret that I have is that I didn't make the decision sooner.
I did exactly this, although my pay cut was closer to $40k. Well worth it.

The job I accepted wasn't exactly as simple as the hypothetical the OP posted, and two promotions later I am definitely thinking about the long term consequences of my decisions, but the general principle remains.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:54 AM

1,099 posts, read 816,779 times
I walked from what others thought were good jobs. I walked as soon as I started to see lying by employer (lower pay than promised, increasing/unreasonable responsibilities). It took a few weeks but I landed on my feet.

I checked up on employers years latter. One went bankrupt the other company was purchased by another company.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:06 AM

12,159 posts, read 10,333,551 times
Yes. And I will do it again some day!

Old 06-18-2019, 07:13 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Yes, but there was always a calculated gamble where I thought things would work out in my favor. It didn't always play out that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or