Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 12:19 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Harried lives of the Mad Men? Really?

It all comes down to having goals and managing those goals against the amount of work & effort one is willing to put forth.
Well thanks, I guess. Your insight as to what constitutes the "right stuff" for corporate success is most likely the result of an adherence to a particular bias. My Brother's experience was driven by his own bias as well. But the Tony Robbins style never fails to rear it's head in discussions of how we "should" live..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 12:29 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Not everyone that performs as your brother did academically at the level that he did wants jobs that make your brain hurt every other day. It is not unusual.
Yeah, I understood my brother, but most people didn't. To say that we're thoroughly indoctrinated at a young age to "be all we can be," is stating the obvious. But what isn't so widely known or accepted is the idea of one's happiness and contentment being a very personal thing and best left to the individual to find it on their own terms.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:36 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Dial it back. I never said any of that.

People will get to where they get to based on what their actions? Is that not true?

I'm an IT Project Manager now, but it took 10 years to get here. I didn't abandon all else. I just never gave up on the goal. I put in the time.
And, honestly, I have yet to read a post from you that doesn't completely ignore the actual topic and hand-wave away all discussed problems and issues because you've never encountered them.

You're also yet-another-poster from the IT world, which has its own rules and peculiar quirks not applicable to a wide spectrum of employment and business situations.

Applause for all your hard work and continued success. You don't seem to understand any other path, though, and my career road was similarly grassy, rock-free and lined with pretty flowers for 20 years, too.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:47 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
And, honestly, I have yet to read a post from you that doesn't completely ignore the actual topic and hand-wave away all discussed problems and issues because you've never encountered them.

You're also yet-another-poster from the IT world, which has its own rules and peculiar quirks not applicable to a wide spectrum of employment and business situations.

Applause for all your hard work and continued success. You don't seem to understand any other path, though, and my career road was similarly grassy, rock-free and lined with pretty flowers for 20 years, too.
I didn't start off in IT. But anyway, let me fit in.

The job market is terrible. All employers suck. These job requirements are outrageous. The little man can't get ahead. I won't get a job because I'm too old. I don't have experience. All the jobs are going to minorities and illegals. Women are taking all the jobs from men.

How's that?

Old 06-19-2019, 05:11 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
There are a lot of smart, really intelligent people working jobs that do not challenge them intellectually.
That's because people tend to take the path of least resistance. Many others enjoy mere simplicity.

Quote:
It all comes down to having goals and managing those goals against the amount of work & effort one is willing to put forth.
Quote:
I never fail to be slightly astonished at the simplistic and often smug maxims you drop as a solution to every complex workplace problem.
Except she's right.

Your tax-dollars fund the Department of Labor and its subordinate offices, like the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The BLS provides all manner of employment and labor analyses....for free.

You want to know which jobs are hot now, and will be hot 5, 10, 20 years from now and which ones suck, just surf the BLS site and read.

You don't even have to do that. You can google, because other people do read that stuff and put it in their blogs and whatnot.

But, that's too much effort for people. They'd rather play World of Warcraft or watch idiotic shows like Big Bang Theory or zombies.

Google is your friend.

You can google job descriptions. You can google to see who in your area actually hires those jobs, because you might have to relocate. Google will tell you what training or education you need. Google will tell you where you can get that education or training and how much it will cost.

Then you make a plan. And a budget. You might have to alter your Life-Style or Standard of Living in order to realize your goals.

"What? I have to cancel cable and stop eating out 5x a week? Hell, with that. I'll stay with my $11.00/hour job."

That's what the majority of Americans are like.

And, that's the reality of employment.

Quote:
I'm an IT Project Manager now, but it took 10 years to get here. I didn't abandon all else. I just never gave up on the goal. I put in the time.
I'm glad to see that.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:04 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's because people tend to take the path of least resistance. Many others enjoy mere simplicity.

Except she's right.

Your tax-dollars fund the Department of Labor and its subordinate offices, like the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The BLS provides all manner of employment and labor analyses....for free.

You want to know which jobs are hot now, and will be hot 5, 10, 20 years from now and which ones suck, just surf the BLS site and read.

You don't even have to do that. You can google, because other people do read that stuff and put it in their blogs and whatnot.

But, that's too much effort for people. They'd rather play World of Warcraft or watch idiotic shows like Big Bang Theory or zombies.

Google is your friend.

You can google job descriptions. You can google to see who in your area actually hires those jobs, because you might have to relocate. Google will tell you what training or education you need. Google will tell you where you can get that education or training and how much it will cost.

Then you make a plan. And a budget. You might have to alter your Life-Style or Standard of Living in order to realize your goals.

"What? I have to cancel cable and stop eating out 5x a week? Hell, with that. I'll stay with my $11.00/hour job."

That's what the majority of Americans are like.

And, that's the reality of employment.
I hope you're not suggesting the future is easy to predict by reading BLS and doing a few google searches. I definitely understand it can be an ego boost to claim everyone in a bad situation is lazy, but you and I both know how ignorant that statement is.

Last edited by Lekrii; 06-19-2019 at 06:40 PM..

Old 06-19-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
The job market is terrible. All employers suck. These job requirements are outrageous. The little man can't get ahead. I won't get a job because I'm too old. I don't have experience. All the jobs are going to minorities and illegals. Women are taking all the jobs from men.

How's that?
Perfect! You absolutely don't have a clue no matter which end you come at it from. Applause.

Your seemingly perfect career, job and history have made it impossible for you to fathom any other possibility, and you state this repeatedly without ever seeming to actually read the relevant posts. They're just whiners because you absolutely know better - and say so repeatedly.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Except she's right.
Being "right" in an extremely narrow sense is not an asset. I could fill a long post with statements that are "right" but do nothing to advance the discussion.

But I won't; short posts full of fairly useless "right" are hers, and extraordinarily long posts full of fairly useless "right" are yours, and I'll leave you both to it.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:08 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
I didn't start off in IT. But anyway, let me fit in.

How's that?
The sarcasm really shows that you're missing the point.

Quote:
Except she's right.
Right in what way though? Correct in that having in pursuing goals helps? That's correct, but not the point. The point is everyone is different and has different goals in life. Some people live to work and all they want is to climb the corporate ladder. Some people don't. And some change their goals throughout life. The frustration comes in when those who love climbing that ladder put down those who found happiness in other ways and different ladders. Each person has their own path and why is it so wrong if someone doesn't want to live the corporate lifestyle?

Somewhat like this commercial of the "Rock she really wanted."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIjGaDUp6FY

Old 06-19-2019, 08:20 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Perfect! You absolutely don't have a clue no matter which end you come at it from. Applause.

Your seemingly perfect career, job and history have made it impossible for you to fathom any other possibility, and you state this repeatedly without ever seeming to actually read the relevant posts. They're just whiners because you absolutely know better - and say so repeatedly.
Really? Dude, you don't get it. If I told you my personal story, you would weep. I see and deal with all the same crap you see. I just chose to not let the crap stop me or cause despair. I can spend my time focused on the bad stuff or I can focus on the ray of light.

I have read the relevant posts. My answers remain the same. The OP's talk of skills and intelligence still comes down to what self-aware people realistically want and are willing to work for.

By the way, what do you think of post #2? That's more insightful than my posts?

Alas, I'm tiring of these games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment