U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 07:00 PM

6,371 posts, read 5,994,477 times

Advertisements

A lot of people have jobs that do not require elaborate skills and I've worked many over the years. What I've learned is that people on these jobs aren't dumb or stupid. There are a lot of smart, really intelligent people working jobs that do not challenge them intellectually. And the people that do get those jobs; at the end of the day there aren't enough "smart" jobs for everyone, or the jobs that do exist do not fit into the personalities of people most would deem to be smart enough to actually work them.

I don't see this situation improving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 07:49 PM

7,086 posts, read 2,899,892 times
Yes, and?

Old 06-18-2019, 07:37 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Many jobs are fairly rote. It's rare to find even knowledge-based positions that don't have some degree of roteness/grind.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Many jobs are fairly rote. It's rare to find even knowledge-based positions that don't have some degree of roteness/grind.
True

Old 06-18-2019, 09:49 AM

2,052 posts, read 594,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
or the jobs that do exist do not fit into the personalities of people most would deem to be smart enough to actually work them.
This has been my experience. Basically the average job role has become completely inflexible and employers create their own headaches by not adapting positions to smart productive individuals.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:54 AM

3,934 posts, read 3,258,558 times
My older brother was at the academic top of his high school grad class, top of his Navy medical corpsman training class, and a studious type in his university days. He quit the university and wandered a bit before landing a job driving cab. Twenty years of that, and then to working on Honda motorcycles. Then trucking five years before he quit work altogether at sixty two.

He was an enigma to most of those who knew him, and the why's of his behavior touch on those mental health aspects we all to often fail to understand. Not everyone is wired to utilize their innate intellectual strengths, and some people want (and need) simple lives, not the harried life of the Mad Men..

Old 06-19-2019, 11:10 AM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
My older brother was at the academic top of his high school grad class, top of his Navy medical corpsman training class, and a studious type in his university days. He quit the university and wandered a bit before landing a job driving cab. Twenty years of that, and then to working on Honda motorcycles. Then trucking five years before he quit work altogether at sixty two.

He was an enigma to most of those who knew him, and the why's of his behavior touch on those mental health aspects we all to often fail to understand. Not everyone is wired to utilize their innate intellectual strengths, and some people want (and need) simple lives, not the harried life of the Mad Men..
Harried lives of the Mad Men? Really?

It all comes down to having goals and managing those goals against the amount of work & effort one is willing to put forth.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post

Not everyone that performs as your brother did academically at the level that he did wants jobs that make your brain hurt every other day. It is not unusual.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:17 AM

8,579 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It all comes down to having goals and managing those goals against the amount of work & effort one is willing to put forth.
I never fail to be slightly astonished at the simplistic and often smug maxims you drop as a solution to every complex workplace problem.

Just maybe, a career has more facets - positive and negative - than a simple Calvinist 'work hard if you want to succeed' linearity. Or justification of dismissal of anyone who isn't where they want to be because they didn't abandon all else to get there.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:09 PM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I never fail to be slightly astonished at the simplistic and often smug maxims you drop as a solution to every complex workplace problem.

Just maybe, a career has more facets - positive and negative - than a simple Calvinist 'work hard if you want to succeed' linearity. Or justification of dismissal of anyone who isn't where they want to be because they didn't abandon all else to get there.
Dial it back. I never said any of that.

People will get to where they get to based on what their actions? Is that not true?

I'm an IT Project Manager now, but it took 10 years to get here. I didn't abandon all else. I just never gave up on the goal. I put in the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or